Pointless Car Adverts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

effbee584

Car
Jag XF 3.0S and 10 yr old Micra 1.2 auto with Air Con.
I am puzzled that in the adverts enticing us to buy a new car, manufacturers will use a generic picture of a model from the range, which is fine, usually without any reference to a price, and then add, in mostly small print, the range of fuel consumption figures for the whole range. In The Times today there were adverts Audi Q3, Porsche GTS, Dacia and Hyundai ix35.

It seems pointless to me, since I would rather know the figures for a particular model, or nothing at all. As it is presented, I consider it to be meaningless information.

The Audi ad tells me that the range is from Urban 23.2 to 45.6 etc etc, the model isn't identified either, Porsche and Hyundai are the same.
All the figures are also in Lts/100km, which is meaningless to most of us Brits, another example of metrication by stealth.

Not even a mention of the range of prices, that may convince me I can afford one, strange.

The one that does it in a sensible informative way is DACIA, for their Sandero Ambiance at £7290 with the 1.2 16v75 Urban 37.2, Extra Urban 57.7, combined 48.7. Clear, concise and informative. Think I'll look at a new Dacia as a runabout.

So clearly advert regs do not require the consumption of the whole range, so why is it printed?

I suspect the heavy hand of EU regulations is involved.

Does anyone have any thoughts or information on this topic

I am puzzled that in the adverts enticing us to buy a new car, manufacturers will use a generic picture of a model from the range, which is fine, usually without any reference to a price, and then add, in mostly small print, the range of fuel consumption figures for the whole range. In The Times today there were adverts Audi Q3, Porsche GTS, Dacia and Hyundai ix35.

It seems pointless to me, since I would rather know the figures for a particular model, or nothing at all. As it is presented, I consider it to be meaningless information.

The Audi ad tells me that the range is from Urban 23.2 to 45.6 etc etc, the model isn't identified either, Porsche and Hyundai are the same.
All the figures are also in Lts/100km, which is meaningless to most of us Brits, another example of metrication by stealth.
Not even a mention of the range of prices, that may convince me I can afford one, strange.

The one that does it in a sensible informative way is DACIA, for their Sandero Ambiance at £7290 with the 1.2 16v75 Urban 37.2, Extra Urban 57.7, combined 48.7. Clear, concise and informative. Think I'll look at a new Dacia as a runabout.

So clearly advert regs do not require the consumption of the whole range, so why is it printed?

I suspect the heavy hand of EU regulations is involved.

Does anyone have any thoughts or information on this topic

Its advertising - Think - A picture says a thousand words.....The adman simply wants a lasting image of his or her product in your mind......nothing else.....as you say the words themselves appear worthless, which is precisely the point...;)

ATB

I agree litres/100 km is pointless to Brits but then so is mpg. Where can I buy a gallon? As demographics creep people won'teven know what a gallon was . So why can't we have miles per litre. MPL makes more sense than MPG or L/100km.

I still work in mpg and fill up with 45.4 litres or 10 gallons in real money. Nice to see UKIP gave the other parties a thrashing, perhaps now we can stop the Euro bureaucracy interfering with the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom