Pointless features on your Merc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Useless bits when the wife's driving,
cruise control,
tiptronic,
BT,
door mirrors when reversing.

Essential,
Sat Nav,
reverse camera.

Although because the camera didn't see the barrier in hers she hit it (split rear screen in a Civic).

Being more positive I'm positive that cruise and auto wipers are a must for me.
I miss any type of electric drivers seat, memory pack gets a thumbs up. The ability to move the seat forward or backward a tad with the switch during a long drive is an advantage.

A feature of the Honda that MB could learn from,
press 'lock' twice within 10 seconds and the mirrors fold. So easy to choose when to, depending on the scenario. It can also be done at distance later.

Does anyone use the flappy paddle gear shift things on their C Class and others with auto boxes.
I have this function and have yet to use it after nearly a year of ownership. Am I missing anything!

Does anyone use the flappy paddle gear shift things on their C Class and others with auto boxes.
I have this function and have yet to use it after nearly a year of ownership. Am I missing anything!
I tried in my CLS55 but the changes were sooo slooow .
I do use them in my RC300h and they give PlayStation-like changes but it's all artificial ...

We have them on car and van. I used them initially as a kinda novelty but never since. I imagine they’re more addictive in the right car though. 👍

The problem with the paddles, in my view, is that the 7G box treats a response to inputs via the paddles as somewhat optional. Sometimes it deigns to respond, other times it takes a long time to think or doesn’t respond at all. I prefer to switch between ‘C’ and ‘S’ according to need, and seldom use the paddles. Luckily I find the gearbox very good at picking the right gear and responsive to subtle pedal inputs for various types of kickdown or upshift.

Seems like I’ve not missed much then. I’ve got the 9G box and find that pretty responsive for my driving style.
Also got sport mode etc so who needs flappy things anyway!

The door mounted electric seat button whose position indicates it operates the headrest yet is merely an insert that matches the two buttons that do work. A silly bit of show that Mercedes should be ashamed of & would have not been tolerated years ago.

The stupid noise made when Sport+ is engaged coupled with a jerky gearchange.

The inability to fold in the electric mirrors at more than 30mph which is REALLY useful when on a narrow road & suddenly encountering an on-coming vehicle (BMW or White Van man) determined to swipe the mirror & with no time to slow down to avoid risk of conflict.

Not 'pointless features' but 'irritating' features or aspects:
The discolouration of the nose cone. On a black SLK is was very dark grey & on a bright silver SLC it was slightly darker. Yes I know it's plastic but that's no excuse for what people like to imagine is a quality product but of course it's nothing of the sort. Ditto the black front apron mouldings on a silver SLC which are very dark grey compared to the glossy black of mirror housings & alloys. Plastic again.

I use the one on the right all the time. I rarely use the one on the left.

He's not wrong , some Mercedes models have poor TCU programing , the change can be sluggish and take two seconds to happen and sometimes it doesn't happen max reving out wasting a diesels lower rpm power band .

The only thing that really really irritates me is the stupid cruise control that brakes quite hard if you have just put your foot down to pass someone or you have left it engaged at a lower limit. My Volvo would just coast along losing speed until it got to the set speed. The Merc slama the anchors on. Not great when you have just passed someone and then brake check them.

Stupid stupid design.

Reactions: m80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom