Pointless features on your Merc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The only thing that really really irritates me is the stupid cruise control that brakes quite hard if you have just put your foot down to pass someone or you have left it engaged at a lower limit. My Volvo would just coast along losing speed until it got to the set speed. The Merc slama the anchors on. Not great when you have just passed someone and then brake check them.

Stupid stupid design.
I don't recall that on any 203 I've had,
not even on any 639.
The 211 does I assume cos it feels like it has braked sometimes.

It'd be nice to disable that in the menus.

While we're at it, why do brake lights still illuminate on a stationary vehicle.
Like the parking brake the lights should be off when brake hold is triggered.

I hardly use the cruise control on the motorway, keep having to brake or accelerate when approaching a middle lane hogger at 67Mph. Why is middle lane hogging getting worse, is it deemed safer?

Never use the Active Park Assist, nice novelty that faded after 2 days.

I don’t like the annoying windscreen spoiler, it retracts at slow speed then rises again above 25 mph, better if it stayed up and retracted when engine goes off, in busy traffic it’s up and down, up and down.

All my pointless features are to do with security.

The electronic steering lock is pointless because it doesn't add anything to car security. The car has an immobiliser and won't start without the key so what's the point of locking the steering as well. Instead it's a potential liability that can leave you stranded and facing a big repair bill.

If I had it, which I thankfully don't, keyless go would be the most extreme example of a pointless feature as it caused a large increase in car thefts purely to save the driver pressing a button on the key fob. and then inserting the key. If they had engineered it safely in the first instance then it would have been fine but they didn't.

Wheel locking bolts are another example of something that adds almost nothing to car security but can be a potential problem to the owner when overtightened by the trade.
Towaway protection?

Another pointless feature is the owners handbook. It's evident how few people read them. Merc seems to be one of the few manufacturers that implemented keyless in a secure way. Well, secure if people read the book and disable it on the fob at appropriate times that is.

I hardly use the cruise control on the motorway, keep having to brake or accelerate when approaching a middle lane hogger at 67Mph. Why is middle lane hogging getting worse, is it deemed safer?

Never use the Active Park Assist, nice novelty that faded after 2 days.

I don’t like the annoying windscreen spoiler, it retracts at slow speed then rises again above 25 mph, better if it stayed up and retracted when engine goes off, in busy traffic it’s up and down, up and down.
In my car, my shoulder is barely above the sill (I'm 6’2”). I cannot see any of the corners of the car. Parking assist is brilliant. It was the same in the SLK I had - always used it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another pointless feature is the owners handbook. It's evident how few people read them. Merc seems to be one of the few manufacturers that implemented keyless in a secure way. Well, secure if people read the book and disable it on the fob at appropriate times that is.
Mercedes should , on picking up any car with it fitted, explain the features of Keyless entry and go and show the customer how to disable the system for added security. It just seems pertinent with Keyless theft now being an issue.
Reading the user manual appears low on the list of priorities for many owners as shown by questions asked here that are often answered by reading the supplied book.

Mercedes should , on picking up any car with it fitted, explain the features of Keyless entry and go and show the customer how to disable the system for added security. It just seems pertinent with Keyless theft now being an issue.
Reading the user manual appears low on the list of priorities for many owners as shown by questions asked here that are often answered by reading the supplied book.
In sure they probably do, and to be fair on new ones the fob goes to sleep on its own. When buying used, you aren't going to get the same level of handover details so there's probably a load of people keeping their older keyless fob in a faraday pouch rather than double pressing the lock button.

Never had keyless gone,

but if I've to press to disable,
I assume press to wake,
I might as well press my old style type of key to open the car.
I don't have issue with putting the key where I know where it is to start the car anyway.

Well yeah, but most people probably just disable it over night as its unlikely ti be nicked during the day. As you have to pick the key up anyway it's not a hardship to unlock with the button when you get in first thing.

Of course on the newer ones you don't need to do anything as it sleeps itself.

I thought it would be pointless too before I got it but have found it quite useful, especially the kick to open boot feature.

He is just an ignorant troll looking to provoke.

Hi , nothing could be further from the truth.

To generate conversion and expand knowledge of the brand.

The best or nothing is a joke.

My real issue is Mercedes Benz UK who treat most customers with utter contempt.

I had a major potential safety critical issue with my car and the reply came back case closed.

The dealer network is a lottery and all Mercedes want them to do is to move the metal.

I really like my genuine Mercedes that is built in Germany but I service my car ever 3000 miles to keep on top of everything.

However , without doubt BMW provides a better driving experience than Mercedes remembering that our national speed limit is 70mph.

The AMG cars are built around the engine but BMW M cars are designed and developed as an overall package.

Cannot keep away !

Hi , nothing could be further from the truth.

To generate conversion and expand knowledge of the brand.

The best or nothing is a joke.

My real issue is Mercedes Benz UK who treat most customers with utter contempt.

I had a major potential safety critical issue with my car and the reply came back case closed.

The dealer network is a lottery and all Mercedes want them to do is to move the metal.

I really like my genuine Mercedes that is built in Germany but I service my car ever 3000 miles to keep on top of everything.

However , without doubt BMW provides a better driving experience than Mercedes remembering that our national speed limit is 70mph.

The AMG cars are built around the engine but BMW M cars are designed and developed as an overall package.

Cannot keep away !
Go and buy a BMW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom