Points removing - fee?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercFanUk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Hi all, I can't seem to find the info online - does anyone know what the cost is now to get points removed?

I have two markers on my license that were given to me back in 2005. A total of 6 points (Oddly one has zero points, the other has 6), and they both were only valid for the standard 4 years so are fine to come off now - just hasn't gotten round to it yet.

I understand I need a D1, but have no idea what impact it's going to have on my wallet...

Hi,I presume if your licence was say......lost or damaged, it would have to be replaced. As the points are spent I would imagine the new one would not include them?. Cost of a new licence being £20.

Cheers folks, I can live with £20 :D I always thought (stupidly believed the myths) it was something like £xx per point, or a lot more than just £20. I'm a happy camper now!

I just 'move house' ;) to my mums and then 'move' back a few weeks later as changes of address are free :D

Cheers folks, I can live with £20 :D I always thought (stupidly believed the myths) it was something like £xx per point, or a lot more than just £20. I'm a happy camper now!

If I'm not mistaken you'll need to get a photo as new licences are the new type which have to be renewed every 10 years. I don't think there's a choice anymore of photo or not.

I just 'move house' ;) to my mums and then 'move' back a few weeks later as changes of address are free :D

I did that once ( not the moving then moving back bit ) when genuinely moving house I enclosed a note asking for expired points to be removed at the same time , and they were - at no charge .

It has been suggested elsewhere that expired points will be removed automatically if a new licence is issued for any other reason such as change of address .

I did that once ( not the moving then moving back bit ) when genuinely moving house I enclosed a note asking for expired points to be removed at the same time , and they were - at no charge .

It has been suggested elsewhere that expired points will be removed automatically if a new licence is issued for any other reason such as change of address .

This actually makes sense. There is no earthly reason why expired points should show an a newly-issued license, regardless of the reason for issuing it.

Asking for a new license to be issued just for the sake of removing the expired points will understandably attract an administration fee, but if a new license is being issued anyway due to another (legitimate) reason then the expired points should just be removed.

I have to renew my licence every three years and can confirm that expired points are automatically removed when the licence is renewed.
I now have a sparkly clean licence once again:D

Also, all new style licences need to be renewed with a new up to date picture every ten years and you will automatically be fined for not doing so.

A nice little earner for the DVLA !!

And if you do not do so within 12 months then your licence is no longer valid which means doing the driving test again - apparently.

Debatable - and yet to be proven in a test case .

There is an ongoing thread over on Pistonheads where several in the legal profession have opined that since the paper counterfoil quotes date of expiry as the holder's 65th birthday , that driving entitlement runs up to that date , regardless that the photo ID part may have lapsed .

And if you do not do so within 12 months then your licence is no longer valid which means doing the driving test again - apparently.

Your licence will be suspended if you don't update within 12 months. You WILL NOT have to resist your test.

From what I have read , the validity of your photocard ID will be suspended , but your entitlement to drive cannot be .

If I'm not mistaken you'll need to get a photo as new licences are the new type which have to be renewed every 10 years. I don't think there's a choice anymore of photo or not.

Back to topic, if you have had your passport renewed recently (within a year or two, I think) then you can get your licence renewed online paying by card, as they will use the passport photo. Got mine back within a week when I did this. Then you have to send the old licence and counterpart back to the DVLA when the new one has been received

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom