Police abuse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.

prprandall51

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi
I have noticed that there are a fair few theads in recent months where posters (not the OP) feel that it is OK to call the Police derogatory names. Two such threads that I have seen this morning include the word "tosser" and "w****s" to describe the Police.

I do not believe the Police are all angels, nor do they always act in the manner that we might wish. Nevertheless, they do a tough job and, whilst I have no problem with threads that discuss the Police's behaviour and how it may fall short of the ideal, I find it very offensive to see posters resort to childish name-calling lifted straight from the play-ground.

Surely these posts contravene the spirit of the forum, if not an actual rule?

Agreed. It seems to me that insulting the police is becoming more common in society generally (though there has always been an element of that). Whilst I wouldn't condone name calling, I think there are two points worth making. Firstly, the implied falling respect levels must, or at least should, be a concern for political and police leaders. Why is it happening? Why is it happening on a forum for MB owners/users - hardly a high chav component on here, I would have thought. Secondly, I would not at all support 'ringfencing' the police on this or any other forum - if we are happy for other road users/objects of our occasional rants to be called tossers, w******s etc, then that should go for the police too. If we don't feel that's OK language to use about the police, then we shouldn't use it at all. Personally I'd be in the latter camp, and I feel, rightly or wrongly, that I have sufficient language skills to be able to insult someone perfectly adquately without resorting to playground epithets :)

Why is it happening? Why is it happening on a forum for MB owners/users - hardly a high chav component on here, I would have thought.

Maybe that's where you are wrong now that Mercedes cars are more commonplace and depreciate more, they are now falling into the wrong hands...

As the old saying goes..'You can't polish a ****'.

Maybe that's where you are wrong now that Mercedes cars are more commonplace and depreciate more, they are now falling into the wrong hands...

So what do we buy now, is there a case for a kind of reverse snobbery to gain exclusivity - perhaps a Kia? :rolleyes:

I am with the original post though, resolution through constructive criticism, no one responds positively to 'you're a complete t*** now behave yourself'.

There are more and more cars and police are giving the public a hard time. It like living in a rat world. That what it like living in a crowded community.

Surely these posts contravene the spirit of the forum, if not an actual rule?

Yes they do in a way. It is not aimed at anyone in particular, which is against the rules, but is still unnecessarily insulting. You should report such posts and they will be dealt with.

Not anymore in UK, 20 years ago yes. Any Joe Public can buy a Merc.

If you want to be snob get a Ferrari or Porsche 911. That off the hand of any Joe Public at the moment.

I am with the original post though, resolution through constructive criticism, no one responds positively to 'you're a complete t*** now behave yourself'.

Is that directed at me?

Please allow me to explain.

On this forum we have always had debates about driving standards including the Police. We have always had Officers as members.

Until recently we have never had derisory comments made either way, but now we appear to have some posters that will go out of their way to be rude and aggressive to other members, especially the Police, including the ones that are helpful members on here.

I personally find that behavior disgusting.

Why my comment. Well, the effect we are seeing only seems to have come about as the cars have become cheaper thus fall into a category of a different level of afford-ability.
That isn't to say that everyone that drives a cheaper car falls into that category, just that it opens the door for a wider audience.

If people want to present themselves in such a way then they should expect to be judged accordingly..

Is that directed at me?

In a word no, sorry if it came across that way. First sentence about Kia was, and was meant to be a joke. Second was unconnected and only added because I thought I should respond to the original poster.

The (badly)written word strikes again...;)

Dieselman said:

You can't polish a policeman? What does that mean?

;)

Maybe that's where you are wrong now that Mercedes cars are more commonplace and depreciate more, they are now falling into the wrong hands..

Wrong hands, what on earth does that imply?!!

Does a person need to earn a certain amount of money, or live in a certain area before, in your mind, they are a worthy Merc owner or not classed as a chav?

Not everyone earns a 100k+ a year and can afford to buy a brand new Merc but they may still have a passion for them and if they're able to enter the world of mercs at a lower level with money they've worked Damned hard for who are you to judge or pigeon hole them?!!

I think out of every comment made so far you are the one who is a 'snob' you come across to the 'chavs' that you are a better more deserving person due to owning a newer Merc.

I think out of every comment made so far you are the one who is a 'snob' you come across to the 'chavs' that you are a better more deserving person due to owning a newer Merc.

Is that correct.??

Have you read the whole thread or jumped in having seen something that doesn't suit you.?

I'm afraid I'm with Dieselman on this one.;)

Yes I read all the thread and stick with what i've written.

I also believe that a public forum gives me the right to jump in at any point to comment.

Slightly off topic I agree, so to follow the thread I also feel that people don't need to swear when referring to someone or the police for example and if this thread helps to stop that then all good.

I've decided to stop using name calling etc and be more tactful as not to offend other members. However if I am satisified with the Police I will post this too, just like I will post any comments about dissatisfaction and any disdainful views I hold.

Can't this thread also live in the "incompetent police" thread.

...........however if I am satisified with the Police I will post this too......

and pigs (no pun intended) will fly (or drive recklessly maybe?)......I will watch with bated breath.:rolleyes:

Sorry - what's so special about the police ???

I don't think it's right to be derisory on here about ANYONE...........

and pigs (no pun intended) will fly (or drive recklessly maybe?)......I will watch with bated breath.:rolleyes:

Conjecture at best :mad: I'd have expected more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom