Police caution for simple accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's a difference between looking and pointing eyes in a particular direction. Anyone who has read a page in a book without absorbing one word of it knows this.

I generally put down my 'safe' driving in recent years to... luck.
Whenever someone says that a favourable result is down to luck, I remember two expressions: "Luck favours the brave", and "You make your own luck". I've always argued that the second expression largely explains the first ;)

There's a difference between looking and pointing eyes in a particular direction.
Agreed.

Effective observation when driving is vital but seems to be rarely discussed, and useful (well-established) helpful techniques not taught to new drivers. I genuinely wonder why.

Is the mindset that a new driver would find it too difficult to process all the information so they are taught only to a defined standard that doesn't include certain topics, or is it just an oversight? Are there any ADI registered members on here who could comment?

Is the mindset that a new driver would find it too difficult to process all the information so they are taught only to a defined standard that doesn't include certain topics, or is it just an oversight? Are there any ADI registered members on here who could comment?
Pretty sure I've read that passing your driving test just means you've reached a sufficient level of competance that will allow you to go out and learn to drive without a qualified driver alongside you.
Over the years it seems to no longer be the case that anyone thinks that's true.

Agreed.

Effective observation when driving is vital but seems to be rarely discussed, and useful (well-established) helpful techniques not taught to new drivers. I genuinely wonder why.

It just isn't taken seriously - by anyone.
I've had a Seven type as a road car before (as low slung as you'll get) and the usual hatches/saloons. My fortwo with its slightly elevated driving position and my current (lofty) SUV have driving positions which are a genuine boon in crossing the ground quickly such are the gains in visibility. When I mention this to drivers of sports and saloon cars (who imagine themselves to be 'quick') they just laugh. Opens up overtaking opportunities as well. You'll never be quick stuck behind that tractor.

My fortwo with its slightly elevated driving position and my current (lofty) SUV have driving positions which are a genuine boon in crossing the ground quickly such are the gains in visibility. When I mention this to drivers of sports and saloon cars (who imagine themselves to be 'quick') they just laugh. Opens up overtaking opportunities as well.
Same as bikes: Tourer, Adventure, or Trials / Crosser bikes with upright riding position provide much better visibility than sports bikes / race rep's and are often quicker cross-country because of that 👍

This, you are taught this on a motorcycle, life savers they call them.
You are taught to look, look and look again, on a bike you do as its YOUR life you will be saving.
Same in trucks as you need more time and space to complete the maneuver.

Car drivers(myself included) tend to feel safe and complacent so don't do the double and triple check.

It's the same thing....I think we're agreeing, you're calling it a scientific term, I'm calling it lazy or careless....or maybe just a passing glancing glance to be more polite.
My motorcycling days are long gone and I never had any formal lessons so I don’t know what the lifesaver checks are that are taught. I had a look on the Internet and found the attached, which may be just a brief summary of what’s taught. Reading through it there’s no mention of the pause in each direction when checking left and right at a junction. As far as I can tell, the “lifesaver” is simply a final check of the blind spot not covered by mirrors, basically over the shoulder when on a motorbike.

The blind spot caused by saccadic masking is something completely different. It’s not the area out of view of mirrors or, in a car, hidden by obstacles such as A-frames. It’s what our brains hide. Looking twice reduces the chances of missing something, but pausing during each observation removes the brain-induced blind spot completely.

Who remembers this from the 60's. Perhaps they knew more than we realised.

"Look Right, look Left, look Right again"

”Look right, look left, look right again” is fine for a starting point. But unfortunately looking doesn’t necessarily mean seeing. Then seeing doesn’t necessarily mean absorbing. Then absorbing doesn’t necessarily mean appropriately reacting to all that information.

Interesting development to this thread.

My mother received a call from her insurance and insurance solicitors today informing her there is an investigation involving the moped delivery driver for fraud because he has had two accidents before the incident and another two afterwards and didn't declare the previous accidents/injuries when he made his new claim and has been trying to claim money and compensation for all his accidents and "injuries".

Just said whilst my mother accepted liability at the time, they are investigating him for fraud due to the amount of similar accidents in a short timeframe, intent to claim compensation and failing to declare incidents.

Mopeds don't come out of nowhere.

Nothing matters unless she is charged with an offence
i guess you never drove in central london. If a moped has "L" on it, it stands for STAY THE F AWAY.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom