Police Dogs Die

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

x332race

MB Enthusiast
Sorry, but there is just no excuse for this

"Nottinghamshire Police said the handler has not been suspended"....I'm sorry, but he should be taken to the cleaners for this....for heavens sake, he is a "trained" handler and should know better....I am paranoid about leaving my dogs in the car and would not dream of doing so in this weather.

A dreadful story - perhaps they should shut the handler in a hot car for a few hours and see how long he lasts.....

That handler needs a lot more that just a "suspension". What a complete and utter tool!

No excuse, but I would guess it happened at a shift handover. That's typically the time people in some industries screw up. E.g. Bhopal, Piper Alpha, etc.

But still inexcusable. The RSPCA are known to prosecute farmers over a few sick sheep, so I expect at least the same here.

Last edited by a moderator:
QUOTE]

No excuse, but I would guess it happened at a shift handover. That's typically the time people in some industries screw up. E.g. Bhopal, Piper Alpha, etc.

But still inexcusable. The RSPCA are known to prosecute farmers over a few sick sheep, so I expect at least the same here.
I am waiting to hear the 'excuse' but 'shift handover' will not wash. Handlers have their own dogs, they take them home and at the end of a shift they will give the pooch a run and let it chill out.

We do not know yet what vehicle\vehicles may or may not be involved, but many years ago this same event happened with the Metropolitan Police and as a direct result of this event ALL POLICE DOG VANS were ordered to be eitherv resprayed to be white, or replaced with white vans. Prior to this they were green.

All police dog vans are fitted with cages so back doors can be left open, the van wondows can be lowered and electric extraction fans can be left running.

Some forces now have estate cars (Devon and Cornwall) these are still fitted with cages so tailgates can be left open, plus windows.

If the dogs were in private cars then questions need to be asked.

If the dogs were left for an extended period then questions need to be asked

If I were speculating I would suspect a mealbreak is involved but I doubt we will hear the truth as hopefully there will be a full and thorough investigation.

Bottom line will be if the handler\handlers getting booted off the dog section

The maximum sentence for causing unnecessary suffering to an animal is six months in prison and a £20,000 fine.

Really the police should be setting an example and the handler should be prosocuted...howver, we all know how coppers caught speeding are dealt with, so I suppose no further action will be taken....

There was a discussion about dogs left in cars on the radio several days ago...several people were advocating breaking the windows of the car to allow air in if they saw a dog left in a closed car in this weather...I'm not sure what I would do.....probably ring police and/or RSPCA...would need to take action if the dogs were visibly suffering I guess....hope I never come across such a problem...

I'm not sure what I would do.....probably ring police and/or RSPCA...would need to take action if the dogs were visibly suffering I guess....hope I never come across such a problem...

At the dog shows I go to most weekends this is taken very seriously, although the vast majority of people do have their vehicles fully kitted out with caging etc.

See here:

Dogs in hot cars - Car Park Risk Assessment - The Kennel Club

Information for Show Societies

If you cause damage to property without lawful excuse or authority such action may result in criminal or civil liability.

However, if it is brought to the attention of a member of the society that a dog is locked in a vehicle and in the opinion of the responsible person the dog is in great distress or near to death, and in the opinion of the responsible person there is no alternative way to secure the release of the dog without causing damage to the vehicle, the responsible person will have a lawful excuse for causing damage to the vehicle in order to release the dog provided that;

The dog is in immediate need of protection and,
The means of protection taken are reasonable in all the circumstances.
No damage should be caused to a vehicle unless and until all reasonable steps have been taken to release the dog by other means. In all such cases, the escalation procedure must be full deployed and a complete log and report of the action must be made including details of the control/preventative measures taken by the society are in place (i.e. risk assessment). Any damage caused must be the least necessary to secure the release of the dog.

If the responsible person honestly believes that a dog is at risk and that he/she uses reasonable steps to enter the vehicle to access the dog and the above advice and guidance has been followed, this will provide a defence to any allegation of criminal damage [Section 5(2) and (3) Criminal damage Act 1971].

The maximum sentence for causing unnecessary suffering to an animal is six months in prison and a £20,000 fine.

Really the police should be setting an example and the handler should be prosocuted...howver, we all know how coppers caught speeding are dealt with, so I suppose no further action will be taken.....
With thegreatest of respect you are talking complete and utter tosh.

It is now being suggested the dogs were left in a PRIVATE car!!

The RSPCA are dealing with this incident as well as the Police Complaints Authority. Unlike civilians this person will answer ALL QUESTIONS and no stone will be left unturned. If they have broken the law then they will get hammered.

It may sound sick but if the cruelty to animals act is not able to inflict a strong enough punishment. Then I would suggest that if the liability is so culpable, I would look at Criminal Damage.

You are talking rubbish

The RSPCA are dealing with this incident as well as the Police Complaints Authority. Unlike civilians this person will answer ALL QUESTIONS and no stone will be left unturned. If they have broken the law then they will get hammered.

It may sound sick but if the cruelty to animals act is not able to inflict a strong enough punishment. Then I would suggest that if the liability is so culpable, I would look at Criminal Damage.

You are talking rubbish

?? don't really know why you think I am talking tosh??

All I am saying is that the person concerned should be prosecuted.

I was being cynical regarding police not prosecuting their own....

The article does say that the handler has not been suspended....

I am sure that the proper action will be taken...

so I suppose no further action will be taken....

I doubt that very much, wheather he is a Police officer or not I think he will be dealt with.
Okay these are dogs, but to the dog handler they are family. These deaths will hurt and hurt badly...

I had to smile when I watched the Midlands local news. We saw a dog handler standing near where folks were paying their respects. He had his dog laying by his side and yes...... The dope had let his dog lay in the sun just about 12" from the shade!

Why on earth do that?

Why not move that extra short distance and let the dog lay down in the cool shade of that treeand maybe have a bowl of water by the side of the dog (for PR purposes)

Okay these are dogs, but to the dog handler they are family. These deaths will hurt and hurt badly...

I had to smile when I watched the Midlands local news. We saw a dog handler standing near where folks were paying their respects. He had his dog laying by his side and yes...... The dope had let his dog lay in the sun just about 12" from the shade!

Why on earth do that?

Why not move that extra short distance and let the dog lay down in the cool shade of that treeand maybe have a bowl of water by the side of the dog (for PR purposes)

I understand what you are saying about "These deaths will hurt and hurt badly... "
We have 4 dog's and 2 Horses and am dreading that day when I will be faced with one on them passing away.

Alex.

You are talking rubbish

Not sure I'm with you here. Why should we expect that a police officer will answer 'ALL QUESTIONS' and 'no stone will be left unturned', whereas a civilian won't answer questions and stones will be left? The policeman does not give up his right to silence by virtue of being a police officer. And we can't say that he will talk because he'll lose his job otherwise - because that applies to lots of 'civilians' too. I see him as being no more or less likely to answer Q's and be thoroughly investigated than anyone else. And I personally would not want to see the culprit 'hammered' any more than he would be if he were not a policeman.

As far as the other poster's comments about speeding policemen not being prosecuted is concerned, I know from other posts of yours that you react to that suggestion, and you do hold our police in very high regard - yet I personally know of officers who will routinely file a false report of some vehicle they were 'pursuing' to justify having gone through a camera and avoid the speeding penalty - and clearly therefore in those cases hardly a stone is turned by their colleagues, never mind leaving no stone unturned. Whilst the case is in no way comparable to the dogs being left to die, it gives some credence to the poster's suggestion that the police do, on at least some occasions and in some ways, look after their own.

I am horrified - I sincerely hope that whoever was last out of the car was dealing with a life threatening situation - there can be no other excuse. We have two dogs at the moment, the thought of leaving them in the car in the current weather makes me shudder.

Not sure I'm with you here. Why should we expect that a police officer will answer 'ALL QUESTIONS' and 'no stone will be left unturned', whereas a civilian won't answer questions and stones will be left? The policeman does not give up his right to silence by virtue of being a police officer. And we can't say that he will talk because he'll lose his job otherwise - because that applies to lots of 'civilians' too. I see him as being no more or less likely to answer Q's and be thoroughly investigated than anyone else. And I personally would not want to see the culprit 'hammered' any more than he would be if he were not a policeman.

As far as the other poster's comments about speeding policemen not being prosecuted is concerned, I know from other posts of yours that you react to that suggestion, and you do hold our police in very high regard - yet I personally know of officers who will routinely file a false report of some vehicle they were 'pursuing' to justify having gone through a camera and avoid the speeding penalty - and clearly therefore in those cases hardly a stone is turned by their colleagues, never mind leaving no stone unturned. Whilst the case is in no way comparable to the dogs being left to die, it gives some credence to the poster's suggestion that the police do, on at least some occasions and in some ways, look after their own.
I am a great believer in freedom of speech and you have made what I consider to be wild accusations.

I can say I have been to the Moon or I know someone that has but am I being truthful? You have made the allegations so please substantiate them.

That officer will answer ALL QUESTIONS put to them regarding this terrible incident simply because that is the wayit is.

We are taking about the death of police dogs..

These animals are part of a very, very close knit team of brothers\sisters and those that serve in that section have a code...... Times might have changed, but the dog comes first, last and every other number in between.

I do NOT ACCEPT that the handler deliberately did what they possibly did, and they will be devastated. Contrary to what you are alleging, (put up or perhaps withdraw your allegations) this handler will not want to lie... it would be pointlessand only make matters worse.

It could be that they have a legitimate excuse\reason for leaving these animals in the vehicle? Whatever they say will be checked and there is no way they would even consider not answering any questions, it is not going to happen.

Going back to your statement regarding police officers falsely putting in statements reagrding alleged persuits!! ALL COMMUNICATIONS ARE RECORDED. If an officer went through a speed camera at 14:44hrs on the 1st April 1907 and they allege they were in persuit of a vehicle, then the first thing that corroborates that statement is the offending vehicle being snapped! NO SNAP, THEN PERJURY..... There will also be a recording from the officer saying they were persuing a vehicle... No radio communication... PERJURY. There will also possibly be a notebook entry made by the officer saying how they were responding to an unspecified emergency.

Now you have made the claim so please tell us the names of those that have committed perjury.

I am a defender of our police when I feel the need as I feel it wrong to make flippant, unfounded, uncorroborated remarks. I am however also one of the main critics of some acts carried out by our police service. I just tend to try to be impartial and until we know the facts reagrding this event, it just seems wrong to point fingers..

"We are taking about the death of police dogs..

These animals are part of a very, very close knit team of brothers\sisters and those that serve in that section have a code...... Times might have changed, but the dog comes first, last and every other number in between."

Well, it seems that the welfare of the dogs did not come first in this case...

Well, it seems that the welfare of the dogs did not come first in this case...
You appear to know a lot about this sad incident, could you please tell us the FACTS behind this tragedy?

I am hoping there is a legimate explanation for these deaths but I have a very open mind as to what may have happened and will listen with great interest to any facts you are aware of that the rest of us don't know about.

You appear to know a lot about this sad incident, could you please tell us the FACTS behind this tragedy?

I am hoping there is a legimate explanation for these deaths but I have a very open mind as to what may have happened and will listen with great interest to any facts you are aware of that the rest of us don't know about.

Why are you so angry? It's just plain common sense not to leave a dog(s) in a car in hot sunny weather...Puppy training class day 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom