Police driving standards & attitude

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveA

Car
CLK 230K Cabriolet
Hi, I've just had a run-in with the local constabulary that has left me fuming :mad: . I had just picked my wife and son up from our local railway station and we were returning home. The route took us up a hill past Greenwich Park and past a school where there is an elaborate "traffic calming" layout.

The road is quite wide but there is a 50 yard section restricted with narrow "pinch points" at each end and give way signs giving priority to traffic already inside the restriction. The width inside is also reduced.

I was in the middle section, approaching the exit "pinch point" and I could see a Police car (a small "panda" car not traffic) approaching in the other direction. It blatantly ingored the "give way" sign and entered the "pinch point" forcing me to brake heavily to a standstill to avoid it (no blue lights or sirens, and it was going quite slowly).

The police car stopped and the "officer" wound down his window and signalled for me to do the same. He then told me in no uncertain terms that I was at fault and had nearly crashed into him :crazy: . I protested that I had right of way and that it was he who had ignored the "give way" sign. He then went on to accuse me of speeding through the restriction. At this point I thought it better to shut up as there were four police officers in the car and I knew who would win if it came down to my word against theirs :mad: . I had not been speeding - there is no room between the "pinch points"!!, and I never do when I have my wife and child on board.

I just shook my head and the "officer" dismissed me by waving his hand and winding up his window.

If I were brave enough, I suppose I should have take his number and made an official complaint about his attitude and driving standards, but I have serious misgivings about whether it would be taken serioulsy, and also if there would be any "consequenses" for me.

Sorry about the rant - just had to get it off my chest - I've only just stopped shaking!

Some Traffic Police are Good Cops but I had a copper in London laid into me about could I read, was English my first language, he went on and on for about 10 mins because I had stopped on a London bridge to let the inlaws photo lovely London. If it was a test to see if I would break and deck him I only just passed. Like in all jobs there are good guys and bad guys.

Disgraceful - I can see why you're annoyed! I dont think this is the norm, but some officers do act like they 'own the road' - a total abuse of 'power' IMHO.

I think you handled it the right way - put it down to experience and dont let it get you down mate. At least you have the satisfaction of knowing you were in the right!
:bannana:

I agree, frustrating but you did right as you did.

I remember someone on another thread had a video camera on their dashboard - wouldn't it have been nice to be able to point to it on the dashboard and say, "would you like to see the video now or would you rather wait till we are in court?" smiling of course ;)

Mischievous I know :devil:

Thanks guys, I feel a lot better now - several beers and a curry have seen to that! Like you say, just put it down to experience and move on. Another story to tell in the pub.

It's just that it's another knock to my confidence in the police and society in general. I know that they're only human, but I expected better :( .

Funny that you never see Police cars with those "Well Driven?" stickers on the back bumper!
How about, "Badly Driven? Dial 999"

Last edited:
I have seen so much of this kind of behaviour by the police.

The most striking thing is their difference in attitude when I get pulled over in a mercedes compared to when I am on a motorcycle.

In the Merc I get "Would you like to step out of the car sir?" and on the bike it's "You! take your helmet off - now!"

I have only seen the Police behaving in this way whilst on the bike but I have had two ...no three separate occasions where I ended up in a scuffle with Police on the scene and each time I was in the right.

1. Got pulled over going to work at 08:30. Took lid off got out a cigarette & put it in my mouth. Officer said "if you try and light that fag I'm going to knock it clean outta your mouth" So I lit the cigarette and he punched me straight on the chin, knocking me to the ground.. In court, he claimed that by lighting a cigarette, it would interfere with the breathaliser readings he intended to use (but didnt in the end as a fight ensued) I won in court BTW.

2. Got pulled over for speeding by an oncomming police car (no evidence of speeding other than the opinion of the traffic cop) Was asked to show my license - which I did. The officer then claimed I had surrendered it as admission of speeding and acceptance of a fixed penalty. I ended up once again physically grappling with an officer of the law in order to retrive my license - again, I was arrested and released without charge. No charges or disciplinary proceedings were brought against said officer however. :(

3. Again on the bike, got pulled over, officer wanted to check my tax disk. Showed him the tax disk and he wanted me to remove it from its holder. Turned out tax disk holder was corroded and in order to open it, I had to snap it off the bike and break the glass. Officer was insistant I did this and then once he realised the tax disc was genuine, started saying I had an attitude problem. He tried to goad me into a fight, at one point repeatedly jabbing a bic biro into my face to try and get a reaction. I didnt give him the pleasure...

4. Oh yeah, almost forgot, a fourth. Got pulled over by a bike cop, he gets a tape measure out and starts measuring the digits of the numberplate. Then pronounces they were an eighth of an inch too short. He then starts to remove my numberplate 'for evidence'. Once removed, he then claims that the bike is now illegal to ride and that I would have to push it home - if he caught me riding it, he said he would arrest me on the spot. The fact that i was 5 miles from home with a 500Kg bike without any aa membership and an asthmatic didnt bother him. - in fact he thought it rather funny. Anyway, I waited for him to go and then rode home regardless, half wanting to be arrested so I could get the matter before a court. Got home and reported the officer for theft of my numberplate. This dragged on many months and involved numerous visits at all times of day and night by officers of all ranks. Some were pleadings to drop the matter, saying it would effect the officers carreer. Others were more sinister... saying they could make my life 'interesting' should I continue persuing the matter. After a great deal of pressure I agreed to drop it as long as the officer had the event documented in his records and that the Police as a whole agreed to drop this practice nationally of removing the number plates (MCN was now reporting a number of similar events and it seemed that the Police were taking the law into their own hands trying to discourage illegal plates - rather than the £30 fixed penalty.

When in the car however, I hardly get noticed by the police and on the rare occasion that I do, they have been nice as pie. Go figure.

The first thing you ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS do when you come into contact with an offier of the law is to take a written record if his/her name, collar number and station. Do it nicely, though. It simply sets the scene.

=Sp!ke
Some were pleadings to drop the matter, saying it would effect the officers carreer. Others were more sinister... saying they could make my life 'interesting' should I continue persuing the matter.
I must remember to have my photo taken with a friend...who happens to be a 'Super' in the local traffic division.
If this sort of thing ever happens to me, I will show them the pic and point out I could make life 'interesting' for them too!

...wow...that little road is my neck of the woods...what a bunch of arrogant so and so's.
Rgds
Les

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom