Police officers sacked after recording themselves speeding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
You know how we question the intelligence of loons who post videos of themselves speeding? Two police officers have been sacked for doing just that. During a road safety campaign.

Two police officers have been sacked after filming themselves breaking the speed limit at 89mph in a seized high-performance vehicle.
Devon and Cornwall Police officers PC Shaun Pearce and PC Daniel Pike shared the video with colleagues on WhatsApp.
They were taking part in a road safety campaign, which included preventing speeding, at the time.
A disciplinary hearing on Thursday found the officers had committed gross misconduct and should be dismissed.
They are now banned from working for the police in England and Wales.
PC Pearce and PC Pike were on road safety duty as part of the 'Fatal Five' campaign - which includes targeting speeding drivers - when the incident happened on 16 January 2019 , the hearing heard.
The officers had seized the vehicle, and while waiting for a recovery vehicle to arrive, drove it without the owner's permission reaching speeds up to 89 mph over 3.1 miles.

More...

Ah well...

Oh dear Lord how thick can you be? What on earth was going through their minds about driving the car, never mind filming it AND sharing the footage?

I'm embarrassed.......
They are probably part of the Facetube generation , everything goes online without a seconds thought ;)

Not even scumbag PCs are above the law.....

I hope it was worth it for 89mph. What plonkers.
Hardly pushing the limits of road vehicle speeds known to man. I'm always aware when Euro driving that 130kph (80 something mph) is a common motorway speed, and a short jaunt into Germany allows the opportunity to exceed that, all without any infractions of the law, should one be that way inclined. The mind boggles why they needed to do this to experience a fairly modest 89mph, vs how fast you could drive legally if you just plan it in advance (a track session for example).

I would have been more impressed if the copilot was jiggling the drivers plums at the same time :cool:

I fail to see how commenting on a story about two ex-PCs behaviour saying they were scumbags infers all PCs are the same

I fail to see how commenting on a story about two ex-PCs behaviour saying they were scumbags infers all PCs are the same
They were undoubtedly foolish, but “scumbag” is a bit strong. What I was even more concerned about was that your sentence structure was such that I first read it that you were saying that all police are scumbags. I now know that wasn’t what you meant, but it could have been. All you needed to say was “Not even PCs are above the law”.

That’s the problem with the written word: too easily misunderstood. You know what you meant, but your readers don’t necessarily and could easily get the wrong idea. That’s what I did - sorry.

Here in Spain 130kmh is standerd motorway speed. Drivers often go 150kmh, because there are hardly any speed cameras.

They were undoubtedly foolish, but “scumbag” is a bit strong. What I was even more concerned about was that your sentence structure was such that I first read it that you were saying that all police are scumbags. I now know that wasn’t what you meant, but it could have been. All you needed to say was “Not even PCs are above the law”.

That’s the problem with the written word: too easily misunderstood. You know what you meant, but your readers don’t necessarily and could easily get the wrong idea. That’s what I did - sorry.
I agree, things can be easily misconstrued and perhaps the initial response to the story was a tad short.

From the Cambridge dictionary:
scumbag (noun) - "a very unpleasant person who has done something dishonest or unacceptable"

It sounds a fairly accurate description of the two bad eggs in this case but in no way characterises the rest of the boys (and girls) in blue!

Here in Spain 130kmh is standerd motorway speed. Drivers often go 150kmh, because there are hardly any speed cameras.
Hi , in Spain the traffic police tend to work in pairs.The unmarked car tends to record speed etc and the marked car stops the speeding car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom