Police to be balloted on right to strike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have contact with the police every day and they are all sick to death with all the meddling in there work.I recon the younger officers will push for the rite to industrial action. There aren't that many old officers left to block the ballot.So there you go.

police-no-evil.jpg

That could be the logo for the Leveson Enquiry - plus others.

What concession will they have to make to get it? There will be one - no such thing as a free lunch.

The role of the police is to uphold law and order. They can't do that if they're seen to be at odds with the government or their employers, much less if they're actually taking industrial action. They can only do it from a position of strength.

Who would perform their role if they were on strike? The Army? That'll go down well...

And what about those police that don't think it's right to strike? Do we really want the spectacle of one group of officers shouting "Scab!" at another group?

The idea is a non-starter. Besides, don't they already benefit from special provisions in lieu of the right to strike? They can't have their cake and eat it.

I think people empowered to use violence on behalf of the state should be a 'special case', the military can't strike, if the Police want the right to strike they are making themselves into 'security guards' and not officers of the state...

Making the Police are a 'service' not a 'force' confused the matter...maybe you could have a 'two-speed' Police, a civil protection side, 'bobbies on the beat' - right to strike, non-lethal force etc, - and an armed side, equivalent to military volunteers for those specifically likely to need arming, terrorism, serious crime etc ...
:devil:

The police don't really want the right to strike but they will seek it, to draw out some compromise from the government. British governments are always a little unsettled at mass rallys of police officers. Change is inevitable in my view, it is just a case of how long it takes. There seems to be some sort of review about every 5 years now on police pay and conditions. The difference now is there is little public support because so many others are feeling the cuts and losing jobs.

The idea is a non-starter. Besides, don't they already benefit from special provisions in lieu of the right to strike? They can't have their cake and eat it.[/QUOTE]

What are the special provisions for not having the right to strike

Thatcher stuffed their pockets with gold, with high starting pay and housing allowances and loads of lucrative overtime bashing miners heads. Today these perks have largely gone so good luck to them, strike action in time for the Olympics?:rolleyes:

The idea is a non-starter. Besides, don't they already benefit from special provisions in lieu of the right to strike? They can't have their cake and eat it.

Below is what I thought they still had. Evidently not.

Thatcher stuffed their pockets with gold, with high starting pay and housing allowances and loads of lucrative overtime bashing miners heads. Today these perks have largely gone so good luck to them, strike action in time for the Olympics?
rolleyes.gif

Who would perform their role if they were on strike? The Army? That'll go down well...

I'll wager the army has a shed load more support than the police!
Not that that makes it qualified to police.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom