Police trawling through old files

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

verytalldave

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200K Cubanite
It has come to my notice that our local force are scouring old files and issuing fines on misdemeanour's that took place over 4 years ago and sending out demands for payment.

So its quite possible other areas will be doing the same.

So if you were D&D or were caught dropping litter many years ago and you thought it was all forgotten about, then think again and expect a fine to arrive on your doorstep shortly.

They are obviously strapped for cash.............................

Last edited:
i think in scotland if you aren't brought to book after 2 years i believe then it can't be pursued

not 100% on that though

i think in scotland if you aren't brought to book after 2 years i believe then it can't be pursued

not 100% on that though

Does anyone know if a similar situation exists in England, and if so the cut-off time period.

Thanks........................:thumb:

Does anyone know if a similar situation exists in England, and if so the cut-off time period.

Thanks........................:thumb:

Are you expecting something soon then?

:D

I was not aware that the UK had Statue of Limitations for crimes at all - I though this only applied to land and civil cases?

Statute of Limitations - Limitation Act 1980

Limitation Act 1980 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

" the statute of limitations doesn't apply to criminal cases. If you look at any news site, such as the BBC, you will see there are people who are charged with serious offences from many many years ago every week. As forensic science has improved we can expect to see much more of this. The police regularly do reviews of 'cold cases' - serious crimes where no-one was ever caught and see if, with the new science, they can now find the perpetrator. The statute of limitations only, very generally, applies to civil cases - such as suing someone for libel. There is not, and never has been, an amnesty for prisoners"

Thanks markjay and whitenemesis.

I was aware that it didn't apply to serious crimes (such as murder, rape, child abuse, etc), but I had it in my head that there were other lesser crimes for which one could not be prosecuted after x number of years had passed. Must have been thinking of civil cases.

Thanks markjay and whitenemesis.

I was aware that it didn't apply to serious crimes (such as murder, rape, child abuse, etc), but I had it in my head that there were other lesser crimes for which one could not be prosecuted after x number of years had passed. Must have been thinking of civil cases.

Or watching too many American police dramas ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom