Police van vs dealer loan car

Discussion in 'Driving/Incidents/Roadrage' started by Meldrew2, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport & BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 1.8d SE (sorry, guys)
    At a certain junction in a town that shall remain nameless, two roads merge. One road becomes the left hand lane, the other becoming the right hand lane. The lane markings are a broken line throughout.

After crossing a bridge, the road has an "off slip" to the left, so lane changes are frequent, and often badly signalled, if signalled at all. I am returning a loan "B" class to the dealer, where my "C" class has been in for a service. I am in the left hand lane.

As I half expected, an Astra Van, directly alongside me, pulls across into my lane without indicating. I'm already covering the brake, so there is no exchange of paint. So far, so normal. White Van Man, driving as usual.

Except.......... this van is marked "POLICE - DOGS"

As it happens, we are both heading in the same direction. I ponder taking the registration number and having a "word in the shell-like" of the Traffic Sergeant, not being nasty, just to ensure that the driver concerned is made aware of the incident - to prevent a recurrence.

As we reach an open road, the dog van signals me to stop, which I do. Surely the driver isn't going to criticise my driving... or worse... I stop the engine (Police find this reassuring - it means you are not going to drive off), put on hazard flashers, and open my window. The PC approaches.

"I'm awfully sorry, I didn't see you" the PC says. "Are you ok?" I thank her for taking the time to apologise, assure her that there is no harm done, I'm not shaken, we all make mistakes, etc, and we go our separate ways.

Full marks to her for taking the responsibility of her actions. If every PC I come across was as honest, fair, polite and upright, we'd have a Police Service to be proud of.

I guess it's fortunate that I was in a "B" class, because the bonnet is a lot shorter!

20 people like this.
  2. snoop51

snoop51 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MB E350 CDI Sport w/ command & leather
    Nice to hear rather than the usual "Police are all bad" type tales. As you say lucky you were in a smaller car.:thumb:

3. Sealandroader

Sealandroader New Member

Car:
    212 e class
    well her integrity has jumped 100% , well done that officer, and also the victim for the compasionate response.

4. Sp!ke

Sp!ke Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    SL500 & The Fart Car
    She didnt check on the dogs then I take it?

5. Robert-Black

Robert-Black Member

Car:
    W203 220 cdi A/G estate auto 05, Supra IV TT 95
    Maybe you should still have a word with the staff sergeant in praise.

6. rascalmaster

rascalmaster Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Brabus D5 (E280 CDI) Avantgarde, E280 CDI Sport Estate, E320 Avantgarde now sold
    yeah yeah... question is though... was she fit?

(took the words right out of everyone's mouths) :D

2 people like this.
  7. timk

timk Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    VW Passat Alltrack, E39 BMW M5, Mercedes C55 AMG Wagon
    Hmmm, I give police dog handlers a very wide berth these days, after one of Gloucestershire's finest did this to my C43 in February. I recently found out that the officer involved has been ordered to attend a 'driver improvement course' before being allowed to drive police vehicles again - The CPS decided not to pursue a prosecution.

Blue lights, badges and uniform do not mean a competent and observant driver in some cases! In the OPs case, the fact that the officer decided to stop and admit the mistake is to her credit though. In my case the officer also held his hands up and admitted responsibility - eventually.

Attached Files:

8. JOB-BLACK-RAT

JOB-BLACK-RAT Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 5 series 'ahem'

:eek::eek: LOL

2 people like this.
  9. rascalmaster

Car:
    Brabus D5 (E280 CDI) Avantgarde, E280 CDI Sport Estate, E320 Avantgarde now sold
    just realised i'm using her ladyship's computer... :doh: time to delete this b4 I get clouted... :rolleyes:

10. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Club Veteran

Car:
    BMW
    Lucky you weren't ******.

11. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    I saw some police officers today on the A303 ....

Luckily , i saw them in time :devil:

1 person likes this.
  12. rascalmaster

Car:
    :confused:

''killed'' ?

13. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Club Veteran

Car:
    BMW
    Nope

14. John

John MB Club Veteran

Car:
    I wish.
    Pi55ed?

I had a Dog van try and take out the side of my car a couple of months ago by pulling back on to a roundabout after having pulled off in the first place - and to which the only way was to pull back on using an exit the wrong way...

In a hurry? Emergency? No, just change of mind and tootling back to the local cop shop none the wiser.

:doh:

1 person likes this.
  15. rascalmaster

Car:
    lol
    have to say though... most of the cops have a hard job, often with one arm tied behind their back.

16. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    That's what makes them such bad drivers....

3 people like this.
  17. The G.F.P

The G.F.P Hardcore MB Enthusiast

nice to hear a good police story, in all my dealings with the police (going to fast, no seatbelt, dodgy plates) ive never met a rude or even orquard one, cambs police are very nice

traffic wardens though ....

18. trapperjohn

trapperjohn MB Club Veteran

Car:
    124 300D 24V Estate
    Perhaps best not to pass on any praise to her local nick/sergeant.

She may just get an internal "interview without coffee" for a PVC - and before you lot start. That is a Police Vehicle Collision. It might/will go down on her record.

But thanks for sharing it anyway, nice ending.

19. Working my Merc

Working my Merc Member

Car:
    E320 CDi Estate
    I was amazed to hear her reaction and honest approach! I thought that sort of honest, good policing, was a thing of the distant past in this country. You should have taken her details and recommended her to head up the police training organisation!

20. Simon_M

Simon_M Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mini & Porsche
    You haven't answered...was she fit? Some of the plastic bobbies round my way are looking mighty fine!