Polish then wax or wax then polish?

• Thread starter Deletedmember130310
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deletedmember130310

I have a new Autoglym High Definition wax kit to try.

After clay barring, is it better to put on AG Super Resin polish then wax?
Or wax then polish?

I know other products are available, and i know the limitations of AG so please try to stay on topic....

My only problem...

I hadn’t realised just how many stone chips I’ve picked up...and i discovered a new/recent dink from a car door....still the car looks better on its summer wheels.

Today I went with Glaze-->Seal-->Wax

I tried putting wax on without buffing the sealant first. It doesn't work.

What is the benefit of seal on glaze and wax on seal ? Not being rude but is seems pointless.

If I remember correctly a glaze is a shine-enhancing product that goes on after polishing. It is made with oils and wetting agents that amplify the paint's shine. It also helps improve the glass effect ie lustre. They also fill in minor(est) imperfections.

It is massively time consuming building up the various layers, but if undertaken properly - really is fantastic. I onnly have the patience to do each car once a year.

Pasted from an online source~

“Essentially, a glaze is a substance that is applied to the surface of a vehicle in order to fill and obscure any small imperfections or scratches that are visible. Applying a glaze to a vehicle's surface makes it appear shinier and more vivid”

Glaze covers and fills defective paint/coat, polish is for good paint/after a correction
Glaze covers paint...so polish is doing nothing to paint and then you are topping it with something else.........waxing a sealer that has been put over a 'glaze'

If I remember correctly a glaze is a shine-enhancing product that goes on after polishing. It is made with oils and wetting agents that amplify the paint's shine. It also helps improve the glass effect ie lustre. They also fill in minor(est) imperfections.

It is massively time consuming building up the various layers, but if undertaken properly - really is fantastic. I onnly have the patience to do each car once a year.
Bit like spit polishing army boots then.....;-)

Glaze covers paint...so polish is doing nothing to paint and then you are topping it with something else.........waxing a sealer that has been put over a 'glaze'

Well, no. I wouldn’t do that. That’s like paying someone to correct the car, then slapping glaze over it. Glaze is just a plaster over a broken leg

Well, no. I wouldn’t do that. That’s like paying someone to correct the car, then slapping glaze over it. Glaze is just a plaster over a broken leg
Sorry - I'm confused glaze+sealer+wax what is the process / purpose.

Sorry - I'm confused glaze+sealer+wax what is the process / purpose.

1. Glazes fill swirls and help mask defects
2. Sealants aid longevity of the glaze
3. Wax on top adds more hydrophobic properties and protection

........................3. Wax on top adds more hydrophobic properties and protection

to the sealer??....do you see where I'm going? If the sealer is any good why wax it? Layering differing manufacturer's "products" on top of each other is simply a waste of time and money.

to the sealer??....do you see where I'm going? If the sealer is any good why wax it? Layering differing manufacturer's "products" on top of each other is simply a waste of time and money.
Yeah that’s true tbh lol

Personally I’d glaze and then wax on top

Not really sure what you’re trying to get at, that process/order isn’t absolutely gospel

I.e I will add fusso to a bare coat, as per its instructions and leave it at that. Add KOG the next day on top. It’s the experimentation rather than assuming something won’t work

Let's no forget this is hobby detailing. Who are we to judge how much a person chooses to invest in time or money if it brings them satisfaction. Yes, snake oil and the "emperor's new clothes" mentality abound in all hobbies. Fags and booze bring pleasure to some and not others, it's all a matter of personal choice.

To be clear on the detailing process, my understanding would be:
  1. Polish the clearcoat with a suitable abrasive to remove the finer scratches and swirls, always remembering you can't put back what you take off.
  2. Use a glaze to "polyfilla" over any of the remaining deeper scratches to give the impression of a uniform scratch-free surface
  3. Apply a sealant to enhance flake-pop and provide a barrier to stop the glaze washing out prematurely.
  4. Apply a last stage protection (LSP) to act both as a sacrificial coating and modify the surface properties. ie. a natural carnauba/montan wax to add depth and warmth or a synthetic wax to promote higher reflectivity and water repellency.

.............. Yes, snake oil and the "emperor's new clothes" mentality abound in all hobbies......

.......exactly. I don't see the point of putting a 'sacrificial layer' on top of a sealant which is already on top of a glaze unless you enjoy the process and perceived benefits.

---- I like a clean nice looking car but I don't enjoy doing it - only the end result .....however whatever floats your boat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom