Polish & Wax for Alloys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A160DSB

Car
A160 BRABUS Metallic Meteor Grey
I can't afford new alloys, so i've decided to clean, polish and wax my existing ones.

any suggestions on what to, or what not to use?

Use FK1000P. I used it on mine 3 weeks ago and still hardly any brake pad dust!

It's just like wax. Clean your wheels, apply it, leave it for 20 mins and then buff off. I repeated the process twice.

A couple of coats of Collinite 915, every 2months and a spray with detailer after each wash keeps them sparkling :)

The biggest problem is getting all the krap off first, especially if you're being picky, have taken the wheels off and are also doing the inside. I never did get it all off my old set - and I ended up trying Mr Muscle oven cleaner then dilute HCl (hydrochloric acid, spirit of salts), which did mother's front lawn no good at all and did not get the last of the ingrained krap off!

So - what's the best way to get the insides clean?

use fk1000p. I used it on mine 3 weeks ago and still hardly any brake pad dust!

It's just like wax. Clean your wheels, apply it, leave it for 20 mins and then buff off. I repeated the process twice.

+1 ;)

The biggest problem is getting all the krap off first, especially if you're being picky, have taken the wheels off and are also doing the inside. I never did get it all off my old set - and I ended up trying Mr Muscle oven cleaner then dilute HCl (hydrochloric acid, spirit of salts), which did mother's front lawn no good at all and did not get the last of the ingrained krap off!

So - what's the best way to get the insides clean?

Wonder Wheels is good enough for the job or a strong dose of traffic film remover left on for 5 minutes (don't let it dry) and then pressure wash or preferably steam clean.

Autoglym Super Resin Polish followed by a few coats of Poorboy's wheel sealant has proved to be very successful on my polished Sador's.

I normally use Wonder Wheels for cleaning (but not on the SL - you can't use it on split-rims).

Then a wax/protector ... currently I'm using Turtle Wax Extreme Nano-Tech Wax for Wheels, which is very good and easy to apply.

Hello to do proper job take them off clean the insides also. Maybe fit new centres and chrome caps. Just be sure to grease them so they don't lock on. I recently cleaned and polished mine with autoglym intensive tar remover and then autoglym polish.

Just a thought also while wheels off you could consider cleaning and repainting calipers?

And cleaning / dressing the wheel arches ;)

I use tyre dressing :)

I use Meguiars tyre dressing which you apply with an applicator, and have some Mer wheel wax which is OK, but nothing special. You definately need to treat the tyres as well as the wheels to get a good effect.

Apart from cleaning product, what is the best way to get the dirt off if it does not rinse away? I see a number of wheel brushes advertised, but are these better than using a sponge or microfibre mit?

Last edited:
i use Meguiars wheel bright (1 US gallon) lasts a long time. Diluted 1:4

Use sonus tyre dressing and Poorboy's wheel sealant.
On our Seat nothing works though. Those d"#$med pagid RS brake pads work great, but pit the clear coat on wheels..:eek:

I use the tyre dressing to treat the cleaned wheel arch liners! :)

I tend to clean the wheels with Valetpro Bilberry which is very affordable, and is best diluted usually, but it's amazing for doing the insides of very dirty wheels in neat form. For polishing, I tend just to use autoglym super resin polish, and then a couple of coats of collinite. I dress the tyres with autoglym tyre dressing at this time of year as it looks fine until it's been up a muddy road, and is a lot quicker to apply than meguiars endurance tyre gel, which I use in better weather. Some makes of tyres look better with tyre dressing than others.
I tend to do the arches with the tyre dressing or autoglym vinyl and rubber care, which seems to be the same product with a nice citrus smell. Autoglym bumper care is great for arches if you're being thorough as it lasts better, and beads amazingly.

I use Poorboys wheel wax.

To be honest, as a student at your age (18) I'd be refurbing them myself DIY style once the weather cheers up a bit :)

Take your time and you'll achieve a 95% improved job for very little cost, using commonly available materials.

I did a set of Lexus wheels back in 2003/4 when I was younger - took me quite a few evenings work but the results were well worthwhile :cool:

1993d1104788486-how-create-perfect-paintwork-show-car-shine-uk-style-lexus-2.jpg

Will

Suggest you use some detailing clay once you've washed them (inside and out) to help get a super smooth finish. This will also help remove some of the surface deposits and contamination. Then polish up using something like super resin polish, then wax (I use HD Wax) and finally apply a protective coat - poorboys wheel sealant for me - to keep brake dust from clinging like the proverbial muck to a blanket. Oh, and lots of elbow grease too. It's not a 5 minute job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom