Polishing hazed headlights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AntMB

Car
Mercedes E270 Estate and VW Golf
Thought I'd share this.

I used Autosol.

Before

48367973081_fb85219151_b.jpg

After

48368113192_19c0fbf4c3_b.jpg

Massive improvement.

Nice job!

There is vast improvement to be gained by polishing.
I used T-Cut Metal Polish on my old 210 lights and the results were fantastic.

6th-August-2017-023.jpg

6th-August-2017-067.jpg

Are you using a clearcoat afterwards?

I had the same problem on my LS and used the 3M 39073 Headlight Lens Restoration Kit followed by 3M 39173 Quick Headlight Clear Coat Wipes and they still look as good as the day i did them last October.

I used to use Brasso on another car which also worked well, but it didn't have the longevity of this kit which really goes to town.

I have heard of some people using a clear coat or some kind of ceramic coating after. I don't have any, not sure what to get if I did.

Yet to be seen when in dark roads whether or not I notice better light spread and output.

You should get an acrylic laquer in a rattle can, mask bodywork and give it a couple of coats. That will give it UV protection and stop it oxidising again for a few years.
If you leave it uncoated it will start to oxidise fairly quickly.

You should get an acrylic laquer in a rattle can, mask bodywork and give it a couple of coats. That will give it UV protection and stop it oxidising again for a few years.

I'd like to find something which can be applied by cloth.

Did mine without any clear coat three years ago and still look good as new. All I do is a quick light 30 sec polish on each lens every three months or so when washing. (no ,I do wash it more often than that!) removes any oxidation before you can even see it. Clear coat is fine but it suffers from stone chips then you have to take it all off and start again.

Looks good. Did you use a machine, or was that done by hand?

Micro fibre cloths by hand. Fitted to the vehicle I wouldn't be comfortable using machine.

I started off by just washing the lenses and drying them. Then applied the autosol to a microfibre coth and buffed to a good lustre, then used a wet microfibre to clean it off. Then I did the same again a few times. Then I polished with autosol using a damp microfibre cloth. I did this a few times until I thought I'd done enough.

No polishing... only sanding and spraying.

I have not done any maintenance polishing.

Anybody in the Preston, Lancs area - I had the SLK done at home by a very diligent young lad who is mobile. £40 and the difference is night and day (see what I did there..... ) He sometimes has offers on. Shout if you want his number

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom