Polishing Mild Steel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
Any suggestions on polishing uncoated mild steel (mirror finished)?

There are a few spots of surface rust, so I was thinking of taking a slightly abrasive paste (like brillo) to remove that... but how do I prevent them from coming back?

Oil isn't really an option as it leaves a sticky finish (or does it?).

Would something like normal car wax protect it in any way?

M.

Polish it and then coat it with a clear plastic coating such as Plastikote or Plastidip for protection?

Beeswax is very slightly tacky and won't take much handling (lovely otherwise!) - I guess it depends what this shiny thing is? :confused:

Thanks - I think I may have some autosol buried in the garage, so will start with that.

Coating it with varnish (e.g. plasticote) was a thought - but I'l worried scratches will show very quickly through the varnish.

Bees wax may work, as long as it's re-applied after every "use" I guess... I was kind of hoping for a miracle magic-transparent-waxoil type thing... but that took rough handling...

As for the shiny object... it's a suit of armour...

M.

As for the shiny object... it's a suit of armour...

M.

In which case someone from English Heritage will likely have the definitive answer. They must look after lots of that type of thing.

I would have thought a wipe down with an oily cloth would be sufficient. No heavy grade oils, something like used on fire arms? Once completely rust free just wipe over each and every time it's used/touched to remove acidic sweat deposits

Polishing any metal, ferrous or non ferrous, to a mirror finish is best achieved using progressively finer grit of jewelers rouge.

The mirror finish will preclude a hard top coat such as polyurethane from adhering.

Just maintain a coat of quality carnauba wax or silicone gun oil which will provide oxidation protection :thumb:

Ed A.

Druk: any idea on links with suggestions from EH? Haven't found anything on their site, but I may be thick.

My only concern with oils & similar is that I will be using the suit for halloween (no, seriously). Hence why I'm bringing it back to it's shin state (and as of a few minutes ago, need to find some leather laces... and a way to replace what looks like a brass rivet... may need to join a re-enactment group to find someone with the right skills!)

M.

Try these guys. They should know what they're doing with stuff like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom