Polishing wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ash26

Car
108 cdi
hi I purchased some 18” mono blocks today and wanted to know if anyone can tell me the best way to polish them back up and what I need to do it?thanks

Attachments

• A7DD2A04-DC3E-46BC-95B0-F5C4D3B92644.jpeg
    A7DD2A04-DC3E-46BC-95B0-F5C4D3B92644.jpeg
    532 KB · Views: 35
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Depends entirely on what state they're in, pics would help.

I'd seriously consider getting them professionally refurbished to be honest, it will save you much time and grief.

Karl's video above gives you a good insight as to what's needed, though I usually take the tyre off (or at least break the bead) to access as much of the wheel edge as I can. I am however much lazier than him in that I didn't polish the lacquer on mine when finished. But he's younger and fitter than me. ;)

I have done a few in the past on various cars and, whilst achieving the finish I wanted, it took literally hours to complete. I tend to use strip and clean discs to key the surface and remove the scabbing which saves a bit of time but decent ones are not cheap and I went through a good few. Your rims have the added complication of having the bolts in them, which should be a different finish to the rest of the wheel (chrome?)

This was what I managed to do with both my Subaru and an old Jeep I had.

Before: -

01 Scoob OSR.jpg

After: -

02 Scoob.jpg

Jeep Grand Cherokee after (Can't find a before picture sorry): -

02.jpg

The Subaru wheels in particular were in a disgusting state and, whilst they came up OK in the end, it took and awful amount of time and effort to get them that way. I'll admit to being pleased with the results but by the time you've taken all the material costs into consideration, plus the space you need and then factor in your time, it would work out easier and cheaper to take them in to have them done by a pro.

Yup a refurb will be quickest & easiest and shouldn't be that expensive.

As an aside, if they're going on your Vito you need to be careful about the weight rating of both the rims (which are replicas) and the tyres you use. Legally they must reflect the vehicle's maximum gross weight, which will be quite high for a van. It doesn't matter what you are actually using the van for (we only use ours to carry our dogs :) ).

There is a thread on here I’ve seen that someone has calculated the load rate ration and they are near enough.
Martin there is a picture added as that is the worst one of the lot.the others have polished lips Wich is why I wandered if this one could be brung back to shine on its lips

The lips would need to be diamond cut and lacquered - again, a job for a refurbisher.

Not sure how anyone can calculate the load rating of a set of replica rims. Nobody is likely to come checking, but it's the sort of thing that might get looked at if you're unlucky enough to be involved in a big accident.

I would just have them refurbed (powder coat, paint and laquer) I would not diamond cut and laquer the rim edge as a)it doesn't look like they were as they appear to be replicas and b the laquer always peels or gets chipped and the alloy underneath then start to oxidise and you are back to square one.

I'm with everyone else on this as i wanted to freshen my summer set up before they go back on the car and was more than happy to try it myself.

However weighing in the cost of materials per wheel and the time it would take it wasn't enough of a saving for all the faff plus the laquer would chip eventually ect ...... so i'm opting for a good old powder coat. :)

When i have time to organise it that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom