Politeness. Warning- Elderly-style rant approaching!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carrotchomper

MB Enthusiast
Car
C207 E350 CDI coupe
Right then,

I've just purchased a 2-bed flat in Bristol. It's in a great location, is very nicely decorated, furnished and plenty of gadgets. Basically a cracking flat, very decent size and with views of SS Great Britain. I am also relatively normal :) .

I'm currently trying to rent out my second bedroom since the extra cash would be useful. I'm asking a very reasonable rent including all bills, which compares well with other flats in the same area (And is in a brilliant location, right in the centre- So better than most other stuff around). And the rent is right- I've done my research. It's cheap-ish!

2 problems with it- The room is quite small, and there's no parking- Although you can easily park on the street 5 mins away, which I do every day. Plus if you work in the centre, you are already there!

I'm tearing my hair out trying to let the room, and fed up to the back teeth of ignorant muppets picking fault with the room- Coming around and turning their nose up at the size of the room, acting like they would be doing me a favour taking it, haggling the rent etc. etc. Also acting surprised that there is not a reserved parking space for them- If the flat had a space, I would be in it!!

And this is the ones who actually turn up!! So far I have had 4 people make appointments and simply not turn up- I've rushed home from work for them simply not to show. No 'phone call, no e-mail, text, nothing.

Various people have promised to give me an answer but haven't bothered, and have ignored my 'phonecalls asking if they are still interested.

Why are people so rude these days? I would NEVER make an appointment and simply not bother to turn up. How difficult is it to make a phone call?

Grr.

Off my chest now. Thanks.:p

Gits

or maybe it's you, and the nitpicking is just an excuse to get away...[only joking]

Good luck finding a tenant/lodger - that's a nice part of the world

Welcome to the world of property. The fact you are renting a room is no different to selling a house. If there is a lot of choice in your area then people are going to be picky I'm afraid.

I hate the no-shows though above all. You cant make someone like it and take it - but there's no excuse not to call to cancel.

Right then,

Why are people so rude these days? I would NEVER make an appointment and simply not bother to turn up. How difficult is it to make a phone call?

Story of my life with mercland... i tried to have an appointment system, i would wait around for people to show and they wouldnt, sometimes i would be waiting late into the night...... i estimate only 50% of people actually turn up after saying they are coming...
now i tell them when im around (9am - 9pm usually) and if they can make it then great, otherwise sorry mate.....

i also have exactly the same problem with renting my rooms in London, makes it a million times worse as i live 100 miles away and usually take a day off to show the room..

Last edited:
i also have exactly the same problem with renting my rooms in London, makes it a million times worse as i live 100 miles away and usually take a day off to show the room..

Glad it's not just me. I think it's just ignorant people in all areas of life! I know there's a fair bit of choice renting rooms too, but I think what I hate most is the people who come round and dictate what's going to happen with my room, for what price, and when they will move in- Like a transaction! They have no sense that

a) They will have to live with me- I like to have a bit of a chat to see whether we get on!
b) It's my bloody flat and I make the decisions! :devil:

flat sharing is always awkward.. i did it for 3 years (my flat) and for the most part was lucky... however two girls that i rented rooms to were a nightmare and i had to ask them to leave.. the first one didnt understand that rent had to be paid and that watching pay per view movies meant you had to pay for them (leaving me with bills in excess of £300 per month) and the second girl was just plain ignorant and inconsiderate...

Good luck mate!

To prove my point- 2 appointments this evening. The first cancelled yesterday by text (Fair enough!).

The second, due to come round at 7.30, texted at 7.40 to say "I'm sorry, I've just left work [very close] it's been manic. Can we make it friday as I'm in london tomorrow?"

Actually, no! I've finally put my foot down and am not going to stay in another night simply for someone not to bother to turn up...

Glad it's not just me. I think it's just ignorant people in all areas of life! I know there's a fair bit of choice renting rooms too, but I think what I hate most is the people who come round and dictate what's going to happen with my room, for what price, and when they will move in- Like a transaction! They have no sense that

a) They will have to live with me- I like to have a bit of a chat to see whether we get on!
b) It's my bloody flat and I make the decisions! :devil:

may be its the last quote people pick up on .......but renters are fickle people i know ..... and to be honest you will have to live with that person ...sharing springs to mind ......... not so much renting ...and unless you expect them to eat , cook , wash , etc ... in there they might want to share, but its 95% yours, %5 theres if you feel they deserve it one day ,and bugger all the next ....good luck.... thank god the weirdys have not shown yet but watch out for them ......

Last edited:
the first one didnt understand that rent had to be paid and that watching pay per view movies meant you had to pay for them (leaving me with bills in excess of £300 per month)

You didn't mention you knew Mrs D??!! :D

and the second girl was just plain ignorant and inconsiderate...

You didn't mention you knew Mrs D??!! :D

<< Ducks for cover in case Mrs D reads this over my shoulder >>

Sounds like a nightmare CC.

As the possible tennants are being picky - you should too. Only let the room out to someone you believe you can get along with, rather than go for the safe option with the first happy to stump up the money.

Good luck!!

may be its the last quote people pick up on .......but renters are fickle people i know ..... and to be honest you will have to live with that person ...sharing springs to mind ......... not so much renting ...and unless you expect them to eat , cook , wash , etc ... in there they might want to share, but its 95% yours, %5 theres if you feel they deserve it one day ,and bugger all the next ....good luck.... thank god the weirdys have not shown yet but watch out for them ......

No, that came across as arrogant which it certainly wasn't meant to be!! I've been more than welcoming and have made it clear that I'm happy to accomodate their wishes (For instance, changing the double for a single bed etc). I think what I meant was people not seeing it as sharing, rather a room they could rent for a negotiated price etc... Just coming in, looking at the room and leaving. No chat etc...

Regarding the no shows, After almost a year trying to sell my last house, I came to the conclusion that people see the house in the newspaper or estate agents window and make an appointment to view. Some of them then run by the house a couple of days before, or even minutes before the viewing, decide there is something they don't like about the house or area and don't bother to keep the appointment or tell you they are not coming.

The amount of times my wife took a half day from work to make sure the house was presentable and no one showed up was unbelievable. Do these people never stop and think or are they just ignorant bas***ds.

Rant over for now

Russ

Yay! It's not just me then. It is just thoughtlessness!

There are positives you can take from this - better to find out what they are like now than invite them to become your flatmate and find out afterwards.

You are right to be upset, but above all, you are right to be picky. You don't want to share your home with someone who shows such a lack of consideration and manners at this stage, when they will be on their best behaviour. If that is their best behaviour ...

You might want to look at additonal methods of advertising, and even targeting it to appeal to a better class of person.

Yay! It's not just me then. It is just thoughtlessness!

Correct.

Also, I suspect the beginnings of a buyers market.

Its like fishing. Be patient, and philosophical about getting ****** on - then you'll catch someting, even if it is, initally, a cold...

You might want to look at additonal methods of advertising, and even targeting it to appeal to a better class of person.

Good idea. See if you can get an ad on a noticeboard for a big corporate - appeal to somebody that's works in Bristol 3/4/5 days per week and goes home at the weekend.

Trying to think of big names with offices in or near Bristol. RAC? NatWest? etc.

Never underestimate the ignorance of the general populous, it's only when you're obliged to deal with people on a business level that you realise how rude, arrogant, thoughtless and generally ignorant many people are.

However I do also get a reasonable amount of very pleasant customers.

The occurrence of the first type increases exponentially when combined with eBay:rolleyes:

I might be missing something, but wouldn't this really be more suited to a work colleague? I've been renting property for a long time now and it isn't for the faint hearted .

As for manners , well that's the way it is now isn't it?

It is always better if you can find someone with a similar interest... i.e someone from work, a friend or maybe even an MBClubber!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom