Political Correctness be Damned!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickg

MB Enthusiast
Car
2000 SL500, 2005 Touareg 5.0 V10 diesel
Tentative research going on here - wondered what the esteemed forum had to say.......

ML500 (old shape) vs ML55 AMG (old shape) vs Porsche Cayenne 4.5S

On similar age/mileage the ML is a good £5k plus cheaper than the Cayenne.

Ignoring the subjective issue of looks, is the Cayenne a better car to drive and is it better value given relative depreciation rates??

I need something that will carry 2 adults + 2 small kids + pushchair + luggage for 1 week. I don't particularly want an estate, and I want to spend less than £30K.

Is the ML under-rated, and if not, in what ways is it significantly worse than the Cayenne (as suggested by the price difference).

I want something with 300+ bhp - what else should I consider buying? :D

I like the looks of the Cayenne - don't know why it gets the slating it does.

Made the mistake of buying Car a couple of months ago and one of the eds was calling all owners w*nk*rs - expect that from the Guardian, not an enthusiasts mag - puzzling :confused:

If it was me, I'd be looking at the Cayenne, or the Toureag V10. Don't know enough about the later MLs to comment.

Cayenne is very cool looking indeed. I saw a Touareg V10 in germany and it definitely has a dominating look about it. There's something slightly ridiculous about the Cayenne seeing it's performance and it's size; it's a much rarer care compared to the others (although the V10 Touareg is very very rare).

Both of them stand out more than the ML, IMO, probably because the ML is more common due to smaller engines.

Last edited:
I wouldn't touch an ML with a bargepole - probably the worst car MB have made in the last 10 years.

My other half's dad has a V10 Touareg - very nice indeed. Cayenne is similar underneath of course.

Cayenne out of your three though consider the VW or even a Range Rover.

nickg said:
I need something that will carry 2 adults + 2 small kids + pushchair + luggage for 1 week. I don't particularly want an estate, and I want to spend less than £30K.

Have you considered renting? Got to be considerably cheaper than $30K for the week & you avoid the hassle of selling it on.

Shame you wouldn't have an estate .. not even an Audi S or RS??

I wouldn't personally want a BMW X5, but surprised it's not been mentioned yet.

Touareg V10 would be my choice (if you can find one).

There's a V8 version of the Volvo XC-90 but too new (expensive) I guess.

Wait for a used GL class?! ;)

If it was my money I'd go for a Range Rover every time - a proper 4x4 rather than an exercise in marketing. Just don't get it with ridiculously large wheels and low profile tyres.

Given your brief, most large-ish saloon cars would do the job, providing the pushchair folds flat. Even my relatively compact CLK has room for two adults, two children, and plenty of luggage.

Good luck with your decision.

Very similar family requirements to us an shortlisted the same cars as we did!! ;)

I think the Cayenne is almost certainly a better car than the previous generation ML. I wouldn't let let some of the negative comments regarding the ML put you off too much.

The sort of price bracket you'll be playing in will allow one of the very latest cars, and the quality isn't bad at all - certainly less problems than our C-Class. Don't think that's unique to me either.

Ride comfort will almost certainly be better in the Cayenne than the previous generation ML, and the interior is in a different league - great interiors.

I've been looking at 4.5Ss and whilst they've dipped below £30k they are usually early high-mile low-spec cars. As I understand it, the Cayenne is very sensitive to options, so take care. However it's fair to say it will probably remain stronger from a residual perspective, than even an all-options ML.

One off the wall suggestion - so please consider before dismissing. Oh and no flaming from the haters!!

...How about an R-Class? If you're happy to consider the petrol - which you must be given your ML500/ML55/4.5S suggestions - then you could get an R350 brand spanking new for comfortably less than £30k.

It would carry 2 adults + 2 small kids + pushchair + luggage for 1 week with ease. It's not an estate, and will be less than £30K. Not quite 300bhp but still plenty of oomph. Worth considering?

Keep us informed on your thinking and decision.

nickg said:

W109 300SEL 6.3

W116 450SEL 6.9 (Watch "Ronin" to see one in action - and what happens if you get in the way of one !)

http://www.m-100.cc

The power and the glory !

Last edited:
I don't like the loks of the Cayenne either, but it is better to drive, better built and miles better inside than the old ML.

But I'm with Rose Chap on this. Given your requirements I think it would have to be a Rangie.

If consumption is no worry (as I guess it isn't given the shortlist), personally I would go for an E55 estate.

neilrr said:
Have you considered renting? Got to be considerably cheaper than $30K for the week & you avoid the hassle of selling it on.

HA!! Very good.

To summarise:

X5 - just don't like beemers any more, and there is a new one out soon.....
Range Rover - lovely looking car - inside and out. Does the 4.4 have the performance and reliability?
R-Class - yeuch, and too big.
Touareg V10 - yes but I'm a badge snob and would rather have the Porsche. Don't like diesel really anyway.
Estates - just can't bring myself to buy one.

Rose Chap said:
If it was my money I'd go for a Range Rover every time - a proper 4x4 rather than an exercise in marketing. Just don't get it with ridiculously large wheels and low profile tyres.

Given your brief, most large-ish saloon cars would do the job, providing the pushchair folds flat. Even my relatively compact CLK has room for two adults, two children, and plenty of luggage.

Good luck with your decision.

you've not met my family...........

It sounds like you've made up your mind with the Cayenne anyway ;). I'd go the same way - though I've looked at G500s before!

you know me too well :D
(which is, actually, scary and weird, given that we've never met or spoken............)

Yeah, go with the Cayenne. An excellent choice IMHO, and one of a shortlist of candidates to replace my C32 ;)

nickg said:
Tentative research going on here - wondered what the esteemed forum had to say.......

ML500 (old shape) vs ML55 AMG (old shape) vs Porsche Cayenne 4.5S

On similar age/mileage the ML is a good £5k plus cheaper than the Cayenne.

Ignoring the subjective issue of looks, is the Cayenne a better car to drive and is it better value given relative depreciation rates??

Is the ML under-rated, and if not, in what ways is it significantly worse than the Cayenne (as suggested by the price difference).

I would fancy one of these: :rock:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom