Poll - Do you use winter tyres?

Do you use winter tyres?

• Yes

Votes: 270 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 355 56.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not read all the post's on this topic life is to short, but ive never used them or likely to either ,never been stuck but living in the south probably helps. But the main reason why I don't is because you could have the best 4x4 money can buy the best snow/winter tyres fitted but where are you going to drive to with all roads grid locked with numpties spinning there various driving wheels up to maximum revs or sitting on each others bumpers approaching junctions and what not .?

As with all things there are different quality products. I have always used nokian for winter tyres as it is what they know. Most Europeans in colder climates will know this even though British tyre dealers will simply look at you and ask who are they Korean?

The winter contact are not sadly a very good tyre but then it's not their main area of the market. That said I will not deny that a poor quality winter tyre can be horrendous in the wet.

But the main reason why I don't is because you could have the best 4x4 money can buy the best snow/winter tyres fitted but where are you going to drive to with all roads grid locked with numpties spinning there various driving wheels up to maximum revs or sitting on each others bumpers approaching junctions and what not .?

In all my years of using 4x4's and 2x4's with winter tyres, I've never had a problem getting home. Even when people have been stuck and abandoned cars, I've got home. It's naturally taken longer, but it always been without drama.

Cheers

Steve

Nope, never used them.

I go for the best all round tyre I can, so good dry and wet grip with good economy.

Nope, never used them.

I go for the best all round tyre I can, so good dry and wet grip with good economy.

Until you have used them, you could never imagine the difference between them and summer tyres on winter roads. Once you've experienced them, most people swear by them.

Russ

No, if it is cold then the roads will be salty and I won't use it :)

Until you have used them, you could never imagine the difference between them and summer tyres on winter roads. Once you've experienced them, most people swear by them.

Russ

I can imagine they are quite a bit better than an all round tyre, and I am doing a road trip in which will go through Germany late this year so may need to get some (I hear all season tyres are legal in winter but will have to check).

Touch wood, I have never had any nasty surprises with all round tyres. The only time they failed me is when we had a particularly snowy winter and everyone got stranded on Birdlip hill at Gloucester, but no one could make that whether they had winter tyres or not.

I always found as long as you buy as decent quality tyre IE Yoko or Pirelli that they grip just fine in the damp and wet. But then I do drive like an old man most of the time.

I guess if I had other experiences though I may have changed my view by now.

I never get pure summer tyres though, I think for our climate you need something in between.

No, if it is cold then the roads will be salty and I won't use it :)

Yes I work at home all but one or sometimes two days a week, so if it's snowy or very bad I just leave the car in the garage.

I did get caught out one bad winter though by needing to go to a conference, it took me five hours to get less than 10 minutes from where I started off, had to end up turning around and staying where I started!

I used winter tyres on my Peugeot 205 this winter and have to say i was amazed how great the grip in ice and snow is. My wife (community nurse) left the Defender at home and took my 205 on many of the worst snowy days this winter. I am in the process of looking for another set for her Golf GTI (at her request). She's a Swede and they are compulsory there between 31/10 - 01/03 and she thinks it's absolutely mad that we drive on summer tyres in winter here.

I used winter tyres on my Peugeot 205 this winter and have to say i was amazed how great the grip in ice and snow is. My wife (community nurse) left the Defender at home and took my 205 on many of the worst snowy days this winter. I am in the process of looking for another set for her Golf GTI (at her request). She's a Swede and they are compulsory there between 31/10 - 01/03 and she thinks it's absolutely mad that we drive on summer tyres in winter here.

How many days of snow did you get up there? We had one ... well actually just a morning, all gone by mid-afternoon. My wife is from the south of Germany and also used to driving on winter tyres ... she says they would be a complete waste of time where we are though (Berkshire). In-laws are here at the moment on their winter tyres ... it was 18C when they arrived yesterday.

Definitely make a difference, I ran Falken Eurowinters for 2 winters on my previous car, a Scirroco ,I live on top of a steep hill in the countryside, road always ungritted and frost/ice lies for days in the winter, never got stuck once whilst others struggled to get up the hill.

Well winter tyres are compulsory in Germany,if I remember you have to have them on your car at the end of October,if you get stopped it is a big fine,the thing is I can only remember one year about 1990 that we had decent snow around here,of course up north those hardy souls just love the white stuff,so I have never used winter tyres.

Yes I work at home all but one or sometimes two days a week, so if it's snowy or very bad I just leave the car in the garage.

I did get caught out one bad winter though by needing to go to a conference, it took me five hours to get less than 10 minutes from where I started off, had to end up turning around and staying where I started!

I do the same. Less worried about getting stuck than some idiot driving like the roads are dry and running into me. Simpler to move some meetings and work from home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Used on my C Class and VW golf all the time, they are awesome and sure footed. Only do low miles and quality ones last.

As soon as it snows I go out in the car to play!

Not as such, I have a spare set of wheels I use so my other set doesn't get trashed during winter.

Not as such, I have a spare set of wheels I use so my other set doesn't get trashed during winter.

Well as you live up the road from me you must be worried about all the salt and crap they put down effecting your wheels,because the amount of snow we get is so small,none this year,a flurry last year,as I say I remember about 4 inches of it about 5 years ago.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom