Poly Belt tension on w202 V6 2.8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonyc280

Car
1997 C280 V6 Elegance Auto Facelift. 1992 Kawasaki ZZR1100 C3
Well iv got my water pump now and everything looks straight forward but i still have one question for you better in the know people. How do i release the tension on the poly belt please ? i notice there is a torx male anti tamper bolt in the middle of the tensioning roller so planning on levering this to release the tension and putting a pin in to keep the tension off to allow me to get belt off. Any help will be great thanks peeps. Tony.

That's pretty much how I did it recently, although mine didn't have the male Torx bolt. Don't forget to take a photo of the belt in situ before removing it.

IIRC you connect the ratchet to the tensioner and then turn it to move it down, then the belt can be removed. Really easy.

I changed the tensioner as a precaution on my 210 E320 as they are known to fail.

Torx socket and ratchet on the male torx bolt [ E10 ]turn anti clockwise ?? to release the tension and slip the belt off. Then release the lever and let the tensioner rest on its limit stop. Replacing the belt the opposite its pretty simply

Yes chaps thanks iv just had to purchase a Torx Security set for this purpose. Clever Mercedes eh. Cheers. Tony.

Look under the tensioner. There is a 17mm head that's part of the tensioner itself to aid the belt removal. Don't use the security torx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom