Poor cabin airflow to screen and feet of C220 Cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oxfordian

Car
C220 CDI Sports Coupe
My car is a 13 year old C220 Cdi Sport Coupe that has a puzzling problem with the cabin airflow to the screen and feet (depending upon where it's being directed), even with the fan at maximum. Both heater and AC do work but owing to the poor airflow, it takes some time to be comfortable and is not what it used to be.

To illustrate the issue, I turn off Auto Climate Control and manually turn the fan to maximum.

* The fan works and at max, the sound of air behind the fascia is enormous, but not a lot comes out at the footwell or the screen.

* I've checked the pollen filter (engine compartment), which is fine. However, I'm surprised to feel a flow of air outwards from the pollen filter box. Surely all the air should be sucked into the cabin, or have I got this wrong?

Could there be some kind of blockage behind the fascia - god forbid, I'm IT not car technical :(

Any ideas on what I could do or have checked to avoid another uncomfortable winter?

Cheers.

There might be a way to reset the air direction flaps on your car, have a search for 'climate control reset' on here or maybe even try youtube :dk:

My clk doesn't have climate control, but those that do, you can press the buttons in a certain sequence, to reset the air direction flaps.

Thanks for that Hawkwind. I did a search and the only possibility I found was to do with Vacuum Actuators that open and close the various flaps.

Can anyone throw any more light on this?

Thanks

W203 C Class

To reset heater flaps and actuators

Switch on ignition.

Press recirculated air and defrost buttons on control panel together for longer than 5 seconds.

The LED's in the defrost and recirculated air buttons flash alternately.

Wait until the LED's stop flashing (approx 30 sec) system set to defrost LED on.

Switch off ignition.

After 40 sec re start engine.

If that doesn't fix the problem it could be a faulty heater control module, but you'll probably need to get it diagnosed to establish the fault.

Hiya Mike,

Last week I applied your instructions and as the LEDs flashed I felt the flaps for screen then feet being activated or perhaps reset. After about 3 minutes not a lot was happening at the driver's footwell, so I switched off the ignition and gave it a minute.

I then started the engine and confirmed that screen and passenger footwell were both getting some airflow and even a little airflow to the driver's side, so my feet won't freeze this winter.

Nevertheless, hats off to you - how do you know this stuff!

Fast forward a week and I was at Prestige Car Service and discussing the Analysis Log following a thorough vehicle check. Right at the end of the log was a Code B15A8 for the AAC. Basically it said the 'Left and right footwell flaps actuator is stiff or blocked'. Apparently the cogs can get worn down and rectifying it/them requires a modestly priced component.

Unfortunately, dismantling/reassembling the fittings costs many times the price of the component, so that's that!

Following my own positive experience at Prestige I've posted a teaser titled 'A 5 year puzzle solved'. Have a look!

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom