Poor E55 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I suspect in a few years a lot more components will be NLA so you may want to try and get one sooner. The engine is pretty good and under reasonable driving rarely goes bad. Swapping the short block out is the extreme scenario. You can always sleeve it like I did. Pistons then become a non issue as you don't need them ferro coated to prevent aluminium/aluminium galling. Other than the engine, it's an E class Mercedes so same rules apply like to all other 211 - SBC, Airmatic, etc.

Phew, it's a relief knowing they can be safely fitted with cast iron sleeves, I suspected the pistons would eventually disappear for all post-97 V6s and V8s which would have rendered all the 'fun' big Mercs useless.

Airmatic (shouldn't) be too much of an issue I'd have thought, it'd ruin the car's originality (if it were to become a classic one day) but I'd have thought sticking standard coilovers in would be a nice solution to all the expense.

SBC sounds more of an issue and will no doubt become moreso as time goes by , guess the only real solution to that is the post-2007 E63...

(cue E55 vs E63 discussion)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom