Poor FM reception

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSM10000

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, Range Rover 5.0 SC, BMW X1
My newly acquired 2003 C320 has rather poor reception on FM compared to my previous car and my partners car. It has the standard fit single slot CD / radio system.

I cannot see any external aerial so I am assuming it is either hidden or uses the rear screen?

Are there any places to check for poor earths etc?

Thank you.

Just an update The crackling noise does not seem engine speed related so I was going to remove the radio/cd and check the aerial is making good contact. Do I need a radio code if it is disconnected?

You dont need to disconnect the power plug from the back of the head unit, the wiring looms long enough to pull it out to check the aerial with unplugging it.

Ive swapped my audio 10 head unit with one from another c class to try and find a fault and didnt need a code for either.

Marty

I've heard poor reception is indicative of a bad ground on the antenna amp, if that's the case it usually gets worse when you turn on the rear heater as I believe its in the glass.

It does on my estate, it's another one of those "someday" jobs.

Any idea where I would find the earth point for the antenna amplifier?:confused:

Off the top of my head no idea I am afraid. But I would aim to find the amp by tracing things connected to the window glass backwards.

The connections for the antenna amplifier are located at the left side C-pillar
behind the panel secured by a single screw.
You need to check for a blown amplifier, loose earth connect or cut heater element
which is embedded in the rear windscreen.
Here's a diagram of where the amp and other components are located
and I hope this helps, good luck!

W203rearAntAmpParts.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom