Poor, poor battery - Mercedes Me adaptor drain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This explains what all the lights mean. They're not a top-up gauge, they indicate different fucntions.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
yeah, thanks for that. I'd realised that and assumed as it'd managed to work through all stages, up to and including 7 the battery had in effect been given a relatively clean bill of health and recon'd to boot .... however ....

See posts #9 and #10 on the thread below:

Great, thanks - can this be done from the jump/charge posts under the bonnet or does it need access directly to the battery ?
(probably go for the KZYEE KS21)

yeah, thanks for that. I'd realised that and assumed as it'd managed to work through all stages, up to and including 7 the battery had in effect been given a relatively clean bill of health and recon'd to boot .... however ....
But the video says it's not finished until LED 8 lights up.

But the video says it's not finished until LED 8 lights up.
step 8 is monitoring your battery and topping up when power drops by 5% - trickle charging if the car is being left for prolonged periods.
Step 7 is fully charged and good to go.

step 8 is monitoring your battery and topping up when power drops by 5% - trickle charging if the car is being left for prolonged periods.
Step 7 is fully charged and good to go.
No. When step 7 has finished, it is fully charged and good to go. Step 7 is finished when light 8 comes on.

Ah, hangonasec - mebbes all becomes clear!! Green light 7 was on and I thought that meant 7 completed but as you state, no - 7 isn't complete until 8 light comes on..... Ahhhhh, I see the light!! Thanks - this would also explain why it hasn't reached 12.2v ..... Only taken me all day !! (D'oh!)

Ah, hangonasec - mebbes all becomes clear!! Green light 7 was on and I thought that meant 7 completed but as you state, no - 7 isn't complete until 8 light comes on..... Ahhhhh, I see the light!! Thanks - this would also explain why it hasn't reached 12.2v ..... Only taken me all day !! (D'oh!)
That’a right the LED denotes which phase/stage it’s in, not which has been completed 👍🏻

Reactions: LXA
So, once I realised where I was going wrong I reconnected it last night at 20:15 - After the initial run through up to stage 7 (up to a couple of hours), I've left it on, through the night and it's now 12:20 (lunchtimeish). On checking the manual about how long stage 7 can last I note it's up to 10 days!! - Now correct me if I'm wrong (again) but 10 days?!!? - never in my life have I left a battery on charge for 10 days!! - that's gotta be one pretty f*&£d up battery to require 10 days charging.
I appreciate it is up to 10 days and also that interrupting the process will require it starting from stage 1 again.

I've probably only had to charge a battery maybe half a dozen times if that in my 40 years of driving. I don't think I've ever left one on for much more than 12 hours and certainly no more than 24..... I suppose given the 'hammer to crack a nut' old fashioned chargers they probably weren't getting to 100%, just in the vague vicinity but they always seemed to work and the batteries were fine afterwards.

Still, I guess that's progress :rolleyes:

So, once I realised where I was going wrong I reconnected it last night at 20:15 - After the initial run through up to stage 7 (up to a couple of hours), I've left it on, through the night and it's now 12:20 (lunchtimeish). On checking the manual about how long stage 7 can last I note it's up to 10 days!! - Now correct me if I'm wrong (again) but 10 days?!!? - never in my life have I left a battery on charge for 10 days!! - that's gotta be one pretty f*&£d up battery to require 10 days charging.
I appreciate it is up to 10 days and also that interrupting the process will require it starting from stage 1 again.

I've probably only had to charge a battery maybe half a dozen times if that in my 40 years of driving. I don't think I've ever left one on for much more than 12 hours and certainly no more than 24..... I suppose given the 'hammer to crack a nut' old fashioned chargers they probably weren't getting to 100%, just in the vague vicinity but they always seemed to work and the batteries were fine afterwards.

Still, I guess that's progress :rolleyes:
I doubt it will take the full 10 days, however it's more sophisticated that old-fashioned chargers, and charges in pulses and and different rates in different phases to maximise the charge and health in the battery. It will be absolutely fine to use now, and probably in a better state than most batteries, however if you can connect it when the car is not in use then it will do it's stuff.

All of that said, whilst it can often restore an otherwise "written off" battery, it can't fix a very dead battery. If it was very dead it would have displayed the fault LED, which I think is a red exclamation mark, so that suggests your battery was able to be restored to a usable state, even if it's not in perfect health.

Did you use the reconditioning mode? Whilst the CTEK will allow you to do a recondition on an AGM battery the general Internet forum consensus (not specifically MBClub) suggests that you should't use reconditioning mode on AGM batteries - something to do with it using high voltage pulses which will damage an AGM battery if used regularly.

Thanks for that - yes, I'm fairly confident it's fine and as you say, it will probably be in better condition than most by the end of the process. I did run the recondition on the first pass but left it out this time.
I've no idea whether it's an AGM battery or not. Bought the car last November and haven't changed it yet. Haven't got the enthusiasm up yet to remove driver's seat, cut carpet and remove the battery to have a look. I'm just waiting for the tester to turn up from Amazon and will give it a blast with that when it finally gets to stage 8 - or I might just leave it and see how it goes for a while.

Thanks for that - yes, I'm fairly confident it's fine and as you say, it will probably be in better condition than most by the end of the process. I did run the recondition on the first pass but left it out this time.
I've no idea whether it's an AGM battery or not. Bought the car last November and haven't changed it yet. Haven't got the enthusiasm up yet to remove driver's seat, cut carpet and remove the battery to have a look. I'm just waiting for the tester to turn up from Amazon and will give it a blast with that when it finally gets to stage 8 - or I might just leave it and see how it goes for a while.
I was very surprised to see an AGM battery in my car - it's a 2007 without stop/start, and so I expected it to be a lead acid battery. The battery was changed (by the main dealer) a few years ago so I'm assuming they replaced like for like, or whether they fitted an AGM to replace a lead acid battery - I'll never know now.

If the battery has ever been replaced then the carpet will already be cut. Lifting the seat as high up and as far forward as possible enabled me to lift the (already cut) carpet, and I could see the AGM label. I guess a different or aftermarket battery could have labels in a different place though, and so it may not be easily visible.

I've been and pushed a few things around and taken a couple of pics - haven't noticed any cut carpet and am wondering - hhhmmm, original battery?? - 15 years!! - no wonder it's getting a bit on the nervous side.
Part No. A0009820008 - It's a VRLA battery which seems to be basically an AGM. Label states Made in USA, Mercedes-Benz U.S. International Inc., Vance, AL35490.
Do MB ship batteries over from the US as replacements rather than just using Exide or somesuch

Attachments

• IMG_20200722_163705 - Edited.jpg
    IMG_20200722_163705 - Edited.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 5
I've been and pushed a few things around and taken a couple of pics - haven't noticed any cut carpet and am wondering - hhhmmm, original battery?? - 15 years!! - no wonder it's getting a bit on the nervous side.
Part No. A0009820008 - It's a VRLA battery which seems to be basically an AGM. Label states Made in USA, Mercedes-Benz U.S. International Inc., Vance, AL35490.
Do MB ship batteries over from the US as replacements rather than just using Exide or somesuch
As you say, that’s an AGM battery so if it’s not already, switch your CTEK to AGM mode.

Ha!! - just been out and did what you said with regards to the seat - as far forward and high as it'll go. The carpet definitely hasn't been cut. There are 2 slits in the carpet, right up to where the hole is, then a piece either side that will require cutting to get access to the battery.
15 year old battery!!
Tell you what - if the CTEK can do what it states is possible and recondition the battery to 3 x it's life then I reckon the battery will outlive the car - 45 years!!;):D:D

Ha!! - just been out and did what you said with regards to the seat - as far forward and high as it'll go. The carpet definitely hasn't been cut. There are 2 slits in the carpet, right up to where the hole is, then a piece either side that will require cutting to get access to the battery.
15 year old battery!!
Tell you what - if the CTEK can do what it states is possible and recondition the battery to 3 x it's life then I reckon the battery will outlive the car - 45 years!!;):D:D
If you do end up needing a new battery, ask your local Indie to quote you for one (i.e. don't go to the dealership)

If you do end up needing a new battery, ask your local Indie to quote you for one (i.e. don't go to the dealership)
I can't afford anything from the dealership - hence 15 year old car 😉👌

So, finally had to go somewhere so took the ctek off. Checked battery with battery analyser. Indicated <12%!!. ( Anything less than <45%=probably time for new battery)
Dash display indicated 12.2v - took it for drive to battery shop, by the time I'd got there same warning lights as original fault came on. Battery now testing <11%.
Car started ok for homeward journey but wouldn't select gear. Wouldn't change into higher gears when I finally got it going on 10+ mile journey home on dual carriageway - 60mph@ 4krpm.
Managed to make it home, battery = <10%
Guess what I'm doing this afternoon, in the rain? (no prizes) - swapping aux battery at same time

Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated 👍 😁

Well, battery analyser not too accurate via the posts in the engine bay.
New battery read 15% via them but 100% directly on the battery.
The original battery which had been reading 10% read 50% when connected directly. But hey-ho, 15 years old so could probably do with replacing.
Everything crossed that it resolves the issues.
AND.... my carpet is now cut 😁👌

Well, battery analyser not too accurate via the posts in the engine bay.
New battery read 15% via them but 100% directly on the battery.
The original battery which had been reading 10% read 50% when connected directly. But hey-ho, 15 years old so could probably do with replacing.
Everything crossed that it resolves the issues.
AND.... my carpet is now cut 😁👌
I would complain, 15 years is ridiculous. Mercedes aren’t what they used to be, I blame the accounts. My mate had a Lexus, and he didn’t need to change the battery until it was 75 years old.

😄

Glad it’s sorted 👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom