Poor radio reception in CLK w208 convertible

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by steadyeddie, Sep 27, 2011.

1. steadyeddie

steadyeddie Active Member

Car:
    Mercedes CLK 320 W208
    I don't believe my radio or aerial is faulty, but my radio reception is average at best.

Does anyone have the same problem? I've looked into getting a larger aerial however there doesn't appear to be much out there....

Thanks,

Ed

2. tasn1

tasn1 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W208 CLK55 AMG
    I have a coupe...same problem!

3. OP
    OP
    steadyeddie

steadyeddie Active Member

Car:
    Mercedes CLK 320 W208
    I'm glad I'm not alone. I had a full Alpine system installed last year however there was no improvement whatsoever! I'm not losing any sleep over it but I would love to have good quality radio!

4. red5r

red5r New Member

It will be your aerial. I had the same problem thinking that the system was crap. I bought a new one as the one that was fitted was breaking up on the outside.
    GREAT sooooo much better and full reception at all times.
    Good luck

5. DSM10000

DSM10000 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, RR 4.2 SC
    My W203 saloon has very poor reception. Using the rear screen heater makes it worse.

Where is the aerial and can a booster be fitted?

6. andy27168

andy27168 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1997 C230K, 1999 C43/55 AMG
    The aeriel is in the rear screen, hence why you are getting interference when you put on the heater.
    Your car should already have an aeriel amplifier, and it is located behind the trim in the N/S "B" pillar.

7. Nick Wood

Nick Wood New Member

Car:
    Clk 230 convertable
    Hi total nubie with W208 convertable, terrible radio reception in my area. Aftermarket Sony fitted but good quality. Was going to get an aerial amp,( £5.00 e- bay), but after doing Google search it appears aerials should already amplified but there is a Blue & White lead from audio unit that needs to be connected to the cars audio loom, which is the aerials amp. Apparently this is often missed.

I will be checking onmine over the next few days, don't know if any other members have similar experience or advice they can share? As I said total nubie so no guarantee offered or given!

PS What cars though!!

8. lordlee

lordlee Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A207 E350 CDI Brabus D6
    Its most likely your aerial connection at the back of the headunit. It will look ok but its quite fragile and most likely is broken and in need of repair. The cable is pathetically thin and easily breaks in the connector. Best to check that first. Otherwise their is an aerial amplifier in the coupes which is located on the drivers side C-pillar. Its a pain to get to and isnt usually the culprit but its the next thing to check after the head unit aerial connector.

9. lordlee

lordlee Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A207 E350 CDI Brabus D6
    If it is the aerial amplifier the W210 has the same part hidden in its C-pillar and is far easier to get to and remove.