Poor standards from Mercedes dealers?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bishy

When I got my E55 I had a few issuses with it, Supercharger intercooler pump, keyless go sensor failed in the drivers door handle and the air suspension compressor was on its way out.

The car was booked into my local Merc dealer to have the above issues sorted + whilst it was in they was going to do some recall work on the a fuel filler pipe of some discription.

In the meantime I had a REALLY bad water leak in the boot which turned out to be a real light seal!! lovely boot full of water! not what you really should expect from a near 70k car new :mad: only car Ive ever owned that leaked was a lotus elise and that was only if i rushed and didnt put the roof on properly.

Anyway, it went in and was only supposed to be in for one day. Id ordered a new seal for the real light and as id totaly stripped the boot to dry it out etc and it was 4 nuts or so to remove the rear light I said that id do it myself. As it was looking like rain I covered the rear light with a bin bag to as id spent a week drying the boot out!.

I left a phone message not to wash the car but they have a stupid phone sytem and it didnt get saved!, anyway got a phonecall to say that there was a serious problem with my car and that it was too dangerious to drive!! when I asked what he said the fuel pump was leaking:dk: but merc would be paying to fix it and that they needed to order the part and that it would be there the next day....

The service manager said that the rear light seal was there and said do you want us to fit it, I said yes as he had said that due to the leaking pump the car would have to be outside over night and he made NO mention of a charge..............

5 days later the pump turned up :confused: and the car was ready to collect, firstly the car had been washed and id had a paint corection done a few days before and some of the scatches that had been hidden had come back! grrrr also they had washed the car before fitting the boot seal knowing damn well that it had a leak and it was sopping wet inside worse than ever!!.

When I got home I noticed that they had charged me £46 to fit the light seal which I could do in less than 2 mins!!! as it was stripped out! (later refunded after I kicked up!.

The drivers door handle was all floppy and had no resistance (which they tried saying that they had not broken it but later fixed it for free as I proved them wrong)

the rear seat base was just placed in the back of the car, had been removed to get at the fuel pump (which the technician told me he broke!) and was not clipped in just placed there and it smelt of petrol!!.

oh and they forgot to fit an indicator lense in the wingmirror (later done for free)

To be honnest Id expect a lot more from a premium brand and £100 + an hour labour!!.

Anybody else had simular problems???

And yet when we are looking or advising people on buying used cars we insist on having full mercedes dealer history!!!!!

And yet when we are looking or advising people on buying used cars we insist on having full mercedes dealer history!!!!!

Not really thought of that but true! :dk: lol mine has a full Merc history and from my local dealer and they have printed out all the work thats been done on it and service history etc etc..

Which reminds me, on my invoice of over a grand they put the wrong reg number (previous owners) and the wrong miles! and well over what it was on!. I asked them to change it and they looked at me as if to say (whats the big deal).....the big deal is that when I come to sell the car I can show a buyer the invoices and they can see what works been done, not going to look very good if its a different reg number and totaly different miles they'd think I was trying to pull a fast one! :doh: hey-ho lol

You would expect so much more from a main dealer, not to mention Mercedes.
I would write to their Company Director and demand an explanation and copy Mercedes head office. I bet you get better service next time.

You might even get something for your troubles...:dk:

You would expect so much more from a main dealer, not to mention Mercedes.
I would write to their Company Director and demand an explanation and copy Mercedes head office. I bet you get better service next time.

You might even get something for your troubles...:dk:

I have to be honest that Im not sure that it would be worth it due to past experience with BMW, I owned a BMW Z4 M coupe before the E55 and my experience with BMW was shocking!, the Z4 was my 5th BMW.

To cut a VERY long story short, the suppliing dealer damaged the paintwork and the champagne leather and some other trim parts!.

They paid for a proffesional paint correction (but it still wasnt perfect) and the other damage was sorted at my local dealer BUT it took them 3 months of not ordering and forgeting to order the parts then lieing etc. they changed the leather trim on the driver seat under warranty and fixed the stereo which was making a loud hissing noise all the time even when it was off! at the same time...whilst the drivers seat was out the so called technician sat in the passenger seat several times fitting the new stereo in his grubby overalls, distroying the champagne leather passenger seat in the process! :mad:

Then they denied all knowlege of it, the service manager said that he'd spoken to the technician and that he'd said that he'd used a seat cover!! and that it must have been like that when I brought it in!, I then explaind that Id done a BMW/porsche owners club concours show the weekend before and that nobody had sat in the passenger since!!. whilst I was complaining 3 different people moved it and didnt use a seat cover!!.

Anyway with that I sold the car and swore that I wouldnt step foot in their or any other BMW dealers again!.

BMW customer care called me for feedback on my experience when I visited my local deal! I let the poor girl have it with both barrels! the whole story, and she said that she would pass my issues onto somebody in customer care and said that they would call me.....they never did :wallbash:

Sorry thats my little rant :D lol

All I expect is that dealers treat my cars with respect! and do the job that they are being hansomly paid to do, to a good of high standard...not to much to ask is it?

Last edited:
MB Brentford is the same, if you read my post on the C43 rust on sunroof you will get an inkling.

Not really thought of that but true! :dk: lol mine has a full Merc history and from my local dealer and they have printed out all the work thats been done on it and service history etc etc..

Which reminds me, on my invoice of over a grand they put the wrong reg number (previous owners) and the wrong miles! and well over what it was on!. I asked them to change it and they looked at me as if to say (whats the big deal).....the big deal is that when I come to sell the car I can show a buyer the invoices and they can see what works been done, not going to look very good if its a different reg number and totaly different miles they'd think I was trying to pull a fast one! :doh: hey-ho lol

Are you absolutely sure that the mileage indicated on the odometer is correct?

IIRC former member Donza had just such a problem.

Bloody hell - I hope you're not thinking what I'm thinking Rob.

Imagine if that document happens to accidentally betray the correct reg and mileage prior to the sale... :eek:

Its because the car was serviced at that dealer from new, and from the chassis number it came up with the reg (previous owners private plate) as id only just put my plate on and when it was booked in it was on its original plate.

The mileage, they had put the "job number" in as the miles! which on my service book some numpty has done twice!:wallbash:

Mine had a full Mercedes main dealer history when I bought it, however I plan to own the car for 2-3 years and by then the car will be 8-9 years old. When I come sell I dont think having a full MB main history will be that important. As long as it has a full Mercedes service history whether main dealers or independent I believe it will be alright.

Hence I take my car to a good independent. I believe they provide much better service and the prices are much more reasonable.

There are several good independents who contribute to this forum and who I have taken my cars too. Ollie at PCS and Richard and GEM-tech are both very very good. Check them out for your next service if they are close by.

Muppets! I'm relieved that this was all it was. I was a little worried for you there for a while.

It does sound like you have a particularly bad bunch there. You are far more tolerant than I am, to your credit.

I wantnt very happy a while back and was invited into the service managers office to discuss the bill!, I told him that the above lack of standard in the work and at £100+ an hour labour was quite frankly discusting...

He disagreed and said that their standards of work wasnt discusting and that 95% of his cusomers would agree.....SO im in the 5% that you treat poorly then I said!:wallbash:

Mine had a full Mercedes main dealer history when I bought it, however I plan to own the car for 2-3 years and by then the car will be 8-9 years old. When I come sell I dont think having a full MB main history will be that important. As long as it has a full Mercedes service history whether main dealers or independent I believe it will be alright.

Hence I take my car to a good independent. I believe they provide much better service and the prices are much more reasonable.

There are several good independents who contribute to this forum and who I have taken my cars too. Ollie at PCS and Richard and GEM-tech are both very very good. Check them out for your next service if they are close by.

I only took the car to the main dealer as the supplying dealer was paying the bill!, and after the "missing oil level check thingy" is sorted it'll be going to an independant that a mate uses.....had my fill of Main dealers! :mad:

Anybody heard of "cornerstone" in Ilminster, Somerset???

Home page - Cornerstone Garage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom