Poorly ML

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gl boy

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes ML 350 , E220 cabriolet Amg premium plus , Porsche 968 sports
Drove to work ok this morning , got out the car , left it running whilst opening the gates , forgot back in !!! Here's where it starts , ABS & ESP Lights were on , as I put it in to reverse the gearbox didn't feel engaged no matter how hard I revved :-/ ,,,, then on come the engine management light !!!! Thought ohh F@@@""" ,,,
Turned off the engine waited 45 minutes , started it up again , but still all three sets of lights stayed on , but did however get it easily in to reverse !!!
It was loaded on to the recovery truck and it's now in the MB workshop waiting for the diagnostics !!!! Fingers crossed its not going to cost the earth to repair !!!!

Update if anyone's interested ,
Problem was a rear nearside wheel speed sensor !!! Just glad it was nothing to serious , but still cost nearly £300 .. But cheap compared with what it could of been

Strange set of consequences for a failed speed sensor! Glad you got it sorted.

oldguy57 said:
Strange set of consequences for a failed speed sensor! Glad you got it sorted.
Yes it was , got me stressing that it was going to cost me thousands , so pleased it was only the speed sensor

Mercedes integrated driving safety and stability systems ESP,ABS etc make wide use of wheel sensor data as part of their decision making process- these in turn are implemented by modifying powertrain outputs and selective brake application to individual wheels to stabilise the car. All this goes on seamlessly in the background while you are driving along in blissfull ignorance. All these car electronic components are constantly talking to each other via the cars communication network the CANBUS.
If a a small but vital sensor such as a wheel sensor goes down this can flag up a fault in several systems as they fail to receive data necessary to their decision making process so its not surprising! Now almost impossible to deduce what's going wrong with these complex cars without plugging in to a diagnostic computer to interogate the cars system. In a matter of minutes the MERCEDES STAR DIAGNOSTIC system will have detected a faulty wheel sensor and its a simple repair/replacement after that.

grober said:
Mercedes integrated driving safety and stability systems ESP,ABS etc make wide use of wheel sensor data as part of their decision making process- these in turn are implemented by modifying powertrain outputs and selective brake application to individual wheels to stabilise the car. All this goes on seamlessly in the background while you are driving along in blissfull ignorance. All these car electronic components are constantly talking to each other via the cars communication network the CANBUS. If a a small but vital sensor such as a wheel sensor goes down this can flag up a fault in several systems as they fail to receive data necessary to their decision making process so its not surprising! Now almost impossible to deduce what's going wrong with these complex cars without plugging in to a diagnostic computer to interogate the cars system. In a matter of minutes the MERCEDES STAR DIAGNOSTIC system will have detected a faulty wheel sensor and its a simple repair/replacement after that.

You sound very knowledgeable,hats off to you

My ML suffered almost identical problems. STAR diagnosed faulty nearside rear sensor and wheel bearing.

l5foye said:
My ML suffered almost identical problems. STAR diagnosed faulty nearside rear sensor and wheel bearing.
Thankfully mine was only the sensor , would of bee even more cost it the bearing had gone to

Had this on my ML. Was an ongoing issue but I never once paid for a replacement even when out of warranty. Apparently road muck and damp gets onto and around the sensor distorting the signal and confusing the ecu. I had a 60 plate ML300 blue efficiency for five and but years years from new and had five sensors replaced in all (so one of the replacements failed). MB always covered this but last time it failed when I was miles from home so got sick of it and chopped the ML in against a new disco (probably swapping one set of problems for another).

My dear, sweet little oddly-coloured, ancient SLK had the same, and of course it affected the Vario roof opening as well. Certainly didn't cost £300 to have it replaced though! Ah, the benefits of being over a decade and a half out of warranty!

(Glad you got it sorted at a cost you could absorb.)

lisa110rry said:
My dear, sweet little oddly-coloured, ancient SLK had the same, and of course it affected the Vario roof opening as well. Certainly didn't cost £300 to have it replaced though! Ah, the benefits of being over a decade and a half out of warranty! (Glad you got it sorted at a cost you could absorb.)

Liking the colour of your slk , ;)
Yes thankfully I can absorb the cost of it ,, pointless buying cars if you can't afford to keep them on the road ;)

Gareth Kent said:
Had this on my ML. Was an ongoing issue but I never once paid for a replacement even when out of warranty. Apparently road muck and damp gets onto and around the sensor distorting the signal and confusing the ecu. I had a 60 plate ML300 blue efficiency for five and but years years from new and had five sensors replaced in all (so one of the replacements failed). MB always covered this but last time it failed when I was miles from home so got sick of it and chopped the ML in against a new disco (probably swapping one set of problems for another).

I'm guessing you never paid as it was an on going issues and they were covered under the 2 year guarantee of parts fitted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom