Poorly SLK.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

portzy

MB Enthusiast
Car
An SLK R171 with lots of toys and a Golf Plus for fishing.
Well folks. This could be egg on face time in more ways than one. I've thought long and hard about posting this but I am having horendous problems with both my four and half month old SLK 280 and, for the time being nameless, retail outlet where I purchased her from.

I cannot add anything here just yet because I am waiting on a phone call this morning which may or may not influence what I post so, I will come back and edit or add in a little while.

Portzy

oh dear, good luck this morining

Good luck D!! Be thinking of you;)

Good luck (btw Pammy - dont want to hijack this thread - but how did your rust treatment go?)

Steve

Good luck Dave, Hope the problem isnt too bad.

splang said:
Good luck (btw Pammy - dont want to hijack this thread - but how did your rust treatment go?)

Steve

Haven't done owt about it yet - been too busy. Hope to wash Edna and get along this week.

P

Ian B Walker said:
Good luck Dave, Hope the problem isnt too bad.

Well, I dont think it could be much worse than this although I wont post the details just yet. I'm away to Scarborough in an hour and I was promised an apologetic and resolution packed phone call from the Dealer Principal, that was on Wednesday morning:crazy: and I've heard nothing yet!

Dave.

Dave whatever the problem is if you do not get an immediate resolution or promise of one go straight to head office and scream it will work I promise you, MB are really twitchy at the moment on any sort of criticism or embarrassment in the media.

gary no faults with mine - yet and its done nearly 2360 miles

gary350 said:
Dave whatever the problem is if you do not get an immediate resolution or promise of one go straight to head office and scream it will work I promise you, MB are really twitchy at the moment on any sort of criticism or embarrassment in the media.

gary no faults with mine - yet and its done nearly 2360 miles

I finally got a call from the dealer principal which I missed. I've returned it and now he's tied up, he's ringing me back soon. I think the only forward for this retailer and I is going to be a replacement exchange vehicle. You know how old she is and my monthly mileage rate is on a par with yours!

I'll post again later after he has phoned me.

Dave.

I had to do it this way because I keep being timed out. Do you think I'm doing the right thing, letting them have another go or is blatant and wilfull damage to your car acceptable?

Portzy.

Last edited:
Well here's hoping when they come they get it sorted properly Dave. The way they have been over this is disappointing to say the least - not only the car itself but this high quality service we have always praised Harrogate MB for just seem to be going out of the window.

Good luck - and have a lovely weekend in Scarborough - weather's set to be quite nice - pity you haven't got the nice car to enjoy it in!:( :mad:

Bloody Hell. The rear end problems read like something you would expect from a car that has been poorly repaired after a rear end shunt.

The dealer's efforts to rectify the coolant problem strike me as incompetent (that's the diagnosis. The idiot who fitted the new fan should be required to adjust it when its running at full speed!:crazy: ).

At the moment I can understand you being seriously p****d off. I'm sure there will be others on the forum better able than me to advise you how but you need to approach this in a cold and structured manner.

Assuming the car was not damaged and repaired before delivery, it has serious build faults. There are mechanisms under the Sale of Goods Act for rejecting goods that are not of merchantable quality but you need all your ducks in a row to succeed.

I think that going through the faults with the supplying dealer is a good first step.

Good Luck.

Sounds like a lemon! They should replace it, but how many companies 'do the right thing' nowadays? :( Good luck

frog1520 said:
Sounds like a lemon! They should replace it, but how many companies 'do the right thing' nowadays? :( Good luck

They do if you kick up a fuss and threaten to go to the press etc. But your relationship with them might suffer if you start using threats at this stage. See what they say first.

Let them try to fix it on the proviso that if you are not 100% happy its new car time or refund.

gary

Brian WH said:
They do if you kick up a fuss and threaten to go to the press etc. But your relationship with them might suffer if you start using threats at this stage. See what they say first.

I know the history with this and just how much Dave has put up with up to know. Personally I think they deserve the threats by now. His patience is incredible. I would have lost it with them by now - as I did when they tried to fob me off with my boot!

Thanks for your support guys, and gals;) . I must admit to being a bit browbeaten by them today and, as Pammy and others are saying, I should have lost it by now and I am at a hairswidth point from doing that. If I do I feel as though things will become nasty and entrenched in bitterness.

The strangest thing is that I have just been out to the dustbin and walked past her and she looks lovely under the car port in the evening sunshine, as If to say "dont give up on me yet", "we'll get this sorted then we can have some fun". Heck, I didnt ever think that you could be so attached to something like this

I have copies of all the correspondence for when they come to my house, thats another thing, at least my next face to face encounter will be on home turf.

Dave.

Last edited:
Hi Portzy,
What can I say??
I am totally against the shout\rant method and can only say that if someone tries that on with me I tend to give as good as I get. (Wife thinks I am understating myself :) ) I always treat others in exactly the way I would want to be treated, but no one will take advantage of me.

Firmness, but polite, you are right, they are wrong plain and simple. I would suggest that the SLK should be at the dealership and not returned until EVERY fault is sorted to your complete satisfaction, and even then only accept the vehicle back on the understanding that you are NOT convinced that all the problems have been fixed. Ask the Managing Director of the Dealership what they would do if they were in your situation? I have always found that to be an excellent peacemaker.

My memory is nowhere near as good as it was but MikeL eventually rejected his SLK which had similar problems to your vehicle.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=18670

As you can see he used the same dealership that I use, so clearly it is not just me that has experienced good service from them.

I have not re-read the thread, but I do know that MikeL had a C-class demonstrator from them right up until the day he actually took delivery of a brand new BMW 5 series with the very latest 3 ltr petrol engine. This car was specced up, put on a waiting list and only when it arrived was the C-class returned :)

Yes they lost a customer, and the way Mercedes-Benz are going he will not be the last.

Good luck and PLEASE do not let them fob you off. Has Mercedes-Benz UK been involved?

If not then I would suggest you politely inform the dealer of your intention to write to them and enclose all the information about this vehicle.

Good luck,
John

Sorry to hear of your troubles Portzy. I know how bitterly dissapointing it can be to be up against what seems to be an indifferent dealership . I'd give them one last chance and perhaps put that fact in writing and exercise your rights to refer this matter to MBUK and demand a refund or exchange vehicle if you are not satisfied.

If it gets to the exchange vehicle bit dont let them try & buy your car back & try to hit you with depreciation for the 4.5 months . It may well be worth a quick letter from a solicitor on your behalf.

The trouble is that one can become so weary that you just get rid & take the loss just to see an end to it.

keep your chin up Dave & stand your ground for what you want.

Bad cars do roll off the production line but the mighty MB should recognise that & accept liability & change the car for one that does what it says on the can. They have had no end of bad publicity over poor customer service - surley they must want to improve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom