Popups

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manpolsabre

Car
1992 300D
Nothing to do with MB's I know, but I am having real trouble with popups appearing all the time on my screen:devil: They are driving me crazy

Does anyone know of any good free software available to stop them?.....They are even popping up when I'm writing this:crazy:

Bob

By the way Ian , I'm looking forward to the GTG you have organised in a couple of weeks

The problem is you've clicked on something which has then installed popup software on your PC. You should be able to remove it via add/remove programs. Do the popup's give you a clue as to the program name?

You can install anti-popup software but thats only masking the problem, its better to remove the cause.

Also in Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services stop the 'Messenger' service. If you haven't got a firewall installed people can send you spam messages.

Hope that helps, I'm sure someone else will offer more detailed info on the software to remove.

Hi Bob, I have a program that will stop pop ups, if you have broadband send me your e-mail address and I will post it for you otherwise i can give you a disk at the GTG.

I would suggest running Spybot first, then installing a popup blocker of some sort. I have an excellent one on "permanent evaluation" if you would like to "evaluate" it.

PM me for details.

Assuming you are using Windoze, Netscape 7.1 (which is free) has a pop-up blocker. Works very well. You can easily add urls that are allowed to do pop-ups as well.

As a bonus you also get to avoid using Micro$haft iexplorer
vomit-smiley-011.gif

Originally posted by scotth_uk
I would suggest running Spybot first, then installing a popup blocker of some sort. I have an excellent one on "permanent evaluation" if you would like to "evaluate" it.

PM me for details.

I have also got spybot and it works well,very easy to use.

download and run ad aware -

Bought it. Looks pretty. Misses way too much. Updated irregularly too.

Spyboot looks crap, but IMHO does a better job. I must admit though I have been known to run one after the other to be sure. :)

Anyone running software/hardware firewalls too? It's scary how much happens to your machine when you actually log the hits.

I'm running Zone Alarm pro, yes the hit count is frightening. Just what was downloaded before I installed it God only knows. I also run window washer and BulletproofSofts spywear remover at least once a week. Just to be sure.

Have a look at Norton Internet Security 2004 product (Amazon) as it does AV, spam, pop-ups, everything.

Originally posted by Sp!ke
One of the most effective popup blockers I have found is the Google popup blocker. Download it for free from http://toolbar.google.com/
Sp!ke you are my hero!
icon14.gif

The Google toolbar used to be rubbish, but now it's packed with really cool stuff! Thanks for alerting us to it! It's tiny, downloads in seconds, installs in less time and works exactly as described! It helps that I normally use the google.co.uk search engine anyway...

Attachments

• 1blocked.jpg
    1blocked.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 73
Originally posted by RichardM

Also in Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services stop the 'Messenger' service. If you haven't got a firewall installed people can send you spam messages.

I just did this and it stopped all at once.
Cheers Richard.;)

I use a combination of XP's firewall, Norton Internet Security (supplied on my PC at purchase) and Netscape 7.1, works great :)

I've heard the Google toolbar is excellent too. I use Google but haven't bothered with the toolbar.

S.

Originally posted by andy_k
download and run ad aware - sounds like you have some spyware or similar on your machine

http://lavasoft.element5.com/support/download/

you should also check in the start up programs and find out where it's being triggered

Andy

Andy, I installed ad aware first off.
It did cure the pop ups for a while, but I also found that it deleted some files needed to run Grokster and other music software.:crazy:

Originally posted by GRAV888
Andy, I installed ad aware first off.
It did cure the pop ups for a while, but I also found that it deleted some files needed to run Grokster and other music software.:crazy:

You can restore those easily if you quarantine rather than delete immediately.

I tend to leave each quarantine file for a month or so before deleting - it aint taking up an enormous amount of room on todays gi-huge HDDs!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom