porsche 991

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carnut

Car
SL400 & audi A1
I currently have a SL350 R230 model which I have owned since new (2003) and intend to keep as long as possible, and as a daily runner a Skoda which has done a good job as a skip
icon_wink.gif

I'm now thinking of changing the Skoda for a smaller car for my partner who has after 2 years expressed the opinion that the Skoda is too big to park and reverse down Devon lanes!
rolleyes.gif

This gives me the opportunity to buy something for myself and I'm thinking of a late model Porsche 991, a car that I've never really tried but according to all the motoring pundits is the Dogs B. The man maths is Ok. The Porsche, while far from as cheap as the Skoda, isn't that bad on a low mileage basis and far less depreciation than say a new SL.

So...has anyone on this Forum experience of The 991 PDK and any tips about what to be aware of please?
icon_biggrin.gif

I drove a new Porsche before ordering a new SL this year.

It was well put together and handled very well.

I found the ride harsh, the dashboard is a shambles and desperately needs updating.

Lots of things you expect as standard are optional extras.

My overwhelming feeling as we got out of it was it was too much money for what it is.

Ultimately it wasn't worth 40% more than an SL to me.

Drive one definitely. I really wanted to order one but it left me cold after the test drive which was disappointing.

I drove a 911 before buying my SL in 2003 and found it lacking.....however I still find myself having to scratch that itch caused by so many magazines saying the 911 is so good

I can in the end make my own mind up but would appreciate any comments from people who have owned one

Rented a GTS in Germany for a few days and loved it. The suspension was lovely in comfort and firmed up nicely in sport without becoming harsh. PDK suits the car well and works really well in all modes. The steering was perfect but I understand there are quite a few differences with the GTS to the standard car. It felt just about fast enough to me and had a great balance between engine and chassis. I wouldn't pay 100 for one but if they ever get to 60 then it'd be a compelling buy.

Rented a GTS in Germany for a few days and loved it. The suspension was lovely in comfort and firmed up nicely in sport without becoming harsh. PDK suits the car well and works really well in all modes. The steering was perfect but I understand there are quite a few differences with the GTS to the standard car. It felt just about fast enough to me and had a great balance between engine and chassis. I wouldn't pay 100 for one but if they ever get to 60 then it'd be a compelling buy.

That was fundamentally the issue I had. It didn't feel like £100k worth of vehicle.

The Porsche range has become too big and confused for my taste. And some models are chuffin expensive for what they offer. I can see the Turbo S at 130 as you can't go faster for less but the ordinary models are too much. There is a Targa in my local showroom for 154!!

I currently have a SL350 R230 model which I have owned since new (2003) and intend to keep as long as possible, and as a daily runner a Skoda which has done a good job as a skip
icon_wink.gif

I'm now thinking of changing the Skoda for a smaller car for my partner who has after 2 years expressed the opinion that the Skoda is too big to park and reverse down Devon lanes!
rolleyes.gif

This gives me the opportunity to buy something for myself and I'm thinking of a late model Porsche 991, a car that I've never really tried but according to all the motoring pundits is the Dogs B. The man maths is Ok. The Porsche, while far from as cheap as the Skoda, isn't that bad on a low mileage basis and far less depreciation than say a new SL.

So...has anyone on this Forum experience of The 991 PDK and any tips about what to be aware of please?
icon_biggrin.gif

Things to be aware of - don't buy a black Avis rental GTS in Germany :eek:

I don't have a 991 but I have a 997 so I can tell you about the experience of having one... By the way I have driven the 991 as well and its a fantastic car to enjoy.
The 911 is a completely different car to the SL and both of them are enjoyable in a different way.. The 911 or at least the 997 I have been driving for a number of years now has a unique way of pleasing you. Its an all a rounder and you can either use it for shopping or for a track day... It was equally pleasing when taking kids at school or been in a German autobahn and doing 170mph . Also is a relatively cheap for its type of car to run and maintain.
Issue is the price... They are expensive to buy even good second hand one...

Theo

If i had c£70 to spend on a second hand car it would be in the top two to spend. Totally different car to the SL and i'm not sure why you would compare the two? Really not knocking the SL, it is a great car, but if you like the SL you probably won't like the 991. Too harsh, noisy, etc etc.

BUUUUTTTTT.........having driven my friends 991 C2S PDK on a number of occasions i'm absolutely smitten and i have never been a Porsche fan. If you can put up with a firmer ride (adaptive dampers make a big difference) then it is a great all rounder. My friend uses winter tyres in the colder months and has no problems getting about in snow either!

One word, though, as has been noted above - spec is everything on these cars and you simply won't find a standard car. Shop around and decide on what you want. Personally my only requirements would be the sports exhaust (switchable so best of both worlds) and the sports steering wheel (on a PDK this means paddles rather than buttons on the wheel). Love these cars and i don't even own one!!

Going for a test drive on the 991....also trying a C63. Half the price and will be an interesting comparison

Probably end up confused

They are both excellent cars but very, very different so I think it depends on both personal taste and what you are looking for ultimately.

I don't think the 991 will shine above a C63 on the road adhering to speed limits, an extended test drive of a 911 on private ground will show what a capable machine it really is.

I remember going from my last C63 to a 997.2 turbo and, whilst the Porsche was a much more focussed and faster car, as an everyday car to drive on public roads I actually found the C63 far more enjoyable.

The 991 is much better than the 997 as it feels more special, more modern inside and I've often considered buying one.....but I've made my sports car choice :D

A fellow Lotus Anorak has just bought a 991 C2S soft top, it is a lovely car and Porsche seem to tweak the mechanicals very well with each facelift model. Before buying my SL I was going to buy a 997 turbo 2 soft top having tried Aston Martins and many other cars the 997 just eclipsed them all. At the moment you can buy a late 997.2 turbo for about £80k try one after the 991 you may change your mind

I remember going from my last C63 to a 997.2 turbo and, whilst the Porsche was a much more focussed and faster car, as an everyday car to drive on public roads I actually found the C63 far more enjoyable.

The 991 is much better than the 997 as it feels more special, more modern inside and I've often considered buying one.....but I've made my sports car choice :D

Yeah, for this week :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom