Portable jump starter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They are pretty carp... they are normally ok when new but quickly deteriorate.

If you are only going to use it occasionally it wont work when you most need it... battery packs always last better when used and charged more frequently.

Potentially useful as a cordless tyre inflator / light. Battery is likely to be a 17 Ah ... could struggle to start a 3 litre diesel IMO.

When we go away in the caravan for a week or more (without mains hookup) I always take a spare 85 Ah leisure battery 'just in case' - have used that for jump starts a few times :D

^ I was thinking of charging the caravan battery and taking that with us to France, thing is its a 110amp massive / heavy thing. However pretty sure that would start it :)

Battery packs are only good if you use them day in day out otherwise they wont hold charge very soon.

The best option is to keep all batteries topped up using a battery conditioner.. I have one for all of my cars and even my lawnmower!

At work I have a snap on battery pack and two "banner" battery packs... id say the banner ones are better overall but pretty hard to find, we got them from our trade suppliers.

The best option is to keep all batteries topped up using a battery conditioner.. I have one for all of my cars and even my lawnmower!

You're earning too much Jay :D

I bought one from machine mart about 4 years ago, and its still going strong.

It started my 5L V8 last year too after I foolishly didnt charge its battery over winter.

You need a fair bit of power to turn over a 3 litre diesel - they are higher compression than petrol engines.

The thing is, decent ones (that would stand a chance of starting a big diesel) are £70-90. Why not just buy a spare battery?

Ask ECP!

Power is not Ah, it's current (A) x voltage (V)
Yes, I'm aware of that. The point is that the maximum current a battery can supply is typically related to the capacity (internal resistance is linked to plate area).

For the OP - if the vendor says it will work, go for it. Then if it doesn't you can send it back :)

Hi,

This unit is advertised as 900CCA which is a huge amount of power (your original battery is probably in the region of 700-800cca) however the manufacturer advertise is as 'suitable for up to 3.0' which would technically rule out your 3.2 diesel

Personally - once fully charged, it should have no issue starting a 320cdi as its, as powerful (if not more) than the original battery.

So it will probably do ot, but if not I would not be able to return it as it states 3.0L

mmmmm

But your '320' is surely a 3 litre (actually 2987cc), so you would be able to send it back ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom