Portable Table Saw?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 113659

Hello guys & Girls,

I've just popped in for a bit of wisdom.

I've decided to sell my large static table saw & dust extraction unit. I bought it 7 years ago to manufacture my own kitchen/bedroom units on. Given my current health issues I've decided that making my own units is not something I can continue with.

So, I'd like to buy a good portable table saw to allow me to at least do the basics either in the workshop or out on site.

I've narrowed it down to these 2 machines:

http://www.dewalt.com/en-us/product...cm-rip-capacity-and-a-rolling-stand/dwe7499gd

https://www.campbellmillertools.co....nt=834349099&***id=COeBmsqx49ICFYeVGwodDuEOZQ

Does anyone own either one of these or have experience of them? I'm more than happy to explore other suggestions.

Cheers to all, Ant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Darrell.

I'm not sure how much you know about the DeWalt but the fence is a 'Rack n Pinion' system so the front and back of the fence always stays parallel to the blade. As far as I know none of the others has this.

The lure of the Bosch is the 2100w 4hp motor. (Great power for ripping timber. (And it's got a little sliding carriage)

The DeWalt is 2000w 2.5hp

Thanks for your thoughts mate.

I know virtually nothing about table saws , but a lad in work has the Dewalt one you listed , i've used it once for ripping some skirting down and it is a quality bit of kit , loud as hell though

stewslash said:
I know virtually nothing about table saws , but a lad in work has the Dewalt one you listed , i've used it once for ripping some skirting down and it is a quality bit of kit , loud as hell though
H & S...ear defenders/plugs and an extract.

Hi Happy, good to see you again, I know nothing of wood saws so can't help there, just thought I'd say hello. :thumb:

Banned for knowing nothing of table saws! :ban:

Hehe, Cheers Peter, hope all is well with you and yours. :thumb:

I'm not familiar with either, but the Bosch looks more stable to me. But I could have done with either of them this weekend when crafting replacement sections for my hot tub casing that had suffered insect attack. My faithful old Elu plunge router did some great work but couldn't do everything so I had to get out my deep set tenon saw. My cheepo circular saw didn't have the precision I needed. I'd forgotten what hard work all this manual stuff was like.

Ant - check those power ratings thoroughly - the 2100W of the Bosch equates to 2.8hp and the 15Amp rating of the Dewalt gives 1650W and that equates to 2.2hp.

Welcome back Ant... :thumb:

A mate has the new battery powered dewalt and it's bloomin brilliant I was astounded at how good it is came with an adaptor so you can use mains or battery very clever but not cheap.

Ant - check those power ratings thoroughly - the 2100W of the Bosch equates to 2.8hp and the 15Amp rating of the Dewalt gives 1650W and that equates to 2.2hp.

Hello Gordon,

Yeah, strange really, lots of reviews on the Bosch including YouTube reviews state 4hp: eg:

5 Best Table Saws - Mar. 2017 - BestReviews

However, can't find any HP details on the Bosch site.

btw, I'm not questioning you, you're obviously cluded up on the tech stuff. Even so, I'm guessing the Bosch has a little more power than the DeWalt? And a handy little sliding table.

As I mentioned to Darrell though, that 'Rack n Pinion' fence on the DeWalt looks fab.

Ant. :thumb:

How's this for a powerful saw???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 21
A mate has the new battery powered dewalt and it's bloomin brilliant I was astounded at how good it is came with an adaptor so you can use mains or battery very clever but not cheap.

Yes, I've spotted that too. I'll bet it's a belter. I've got a 36v cordless makita ripsaw and it's almost as good as a plug-in. These's lithium batteries are amazing.

However, I'm mainly going to use this machine in my workshop and I never go on powerless building sites (thank goodness). If I talk it out to a job it'll always be domestic.

Cheers Sparky. :thumb:

Hello Gordon,

Yeah, strange really, lots of reviews on the Bosch including YouTube reviews state 4hp: eg:

5 Best Table Saws - Mar. 2017 - BestReviews

However, can't find any HP details on the Bosch site.

btw, I'm not questioning you, you're obviously cluded up on the tech stuff. Even so, I'm guessing the Bosch has a little more power than the DeWalt? And a handy little sliding table.

As I mentioned to Darrell though, that 'Rack n Pinion' fence on the DeWalt looks fab.

Ant. :thumb:

I've found that, in general, many manufacturers try to hide hp ratings for some reason. However, electrical specifications ought to always be available, from which you can work out the hp. Amps x Volts = Watts and divide that number by 746 to get hp. Note that this is INPUT hp and the output hp will always be less. BTW, I don't know much about table saws. :)

Well, I finished up opting for the Bosch. Slightly better equipped compared to the DeWalt & £209 cheaper. :thumb:

Had it working hard today and very impressed.

Ant.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 45
I have a Bosch table saw, but since investing in a Festool plunge saw and guide rail, it hardly ever gets used. I find using the guide rails and plunge saw far more convenient, especially if dealing with larger sheet materials, but it's still good for smaller stuff.

Yeah, I know the plunge saws are great Chris but take too long to set up for repetitive cuts.

Table saw suited my needs better and once set up on the job is quicker for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom