Portable WiFi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

harvin1975

Car
E Class Estate W212; VW Golf
Hi. I'm thinking about buying a portable wifi device so Comand can hook up on the go.
Anyone done this - and any device recommendations?

Does COMAND Online connect to WiFi or to Bluetooth?

If the latter, then it will need to be a phone, not MiFi device.

You can connect comand to the internet via Bluetooth on your smartphone but I think you will find you will only get limited functionality while on the go like you cannot watch TV or video on the move legally.

Hi. I'm thinking about buying a portable wifi device so Comand can hook up on the go.
Anyone done this - and any device recommendations?

The most cost effective options is to use tethering on your mobile ie share your connection. It can be done either through wifi or BT. But check both your smart phone as well as your mobile provider if it allows you to do so. Some enforce restrictions
I do that to share my connection with my kids and give them access to their tablets or when I need to connect my laptop and have no other wifi connection and it works a treat. This should be no different

Thanks all for your replies.
The reason i was specific about some kind of mifi device is that my phone is a work Blackberry and the policy restrictions prevent use as a personal wifi hotspot.

Don't want to invest in an iPhone. I just need mobile data without call features.

My car connects to my phone via bluetooth and also picks up my home wifi from my drive so i know it can pick up both wifi and bluetooth at the same time.

I've never had a reason for personal wifi /mifi but can see the benefits when out and about. Just no clue yet on which devices are good and suitable.

Hi

I have a pay as you go Everything Everywhere WiFi unit, plugs into the 12 volt socket and provides a WiFi hot spot. Comand logs in and all seems to work. In my car (CLS SB) the unit sits in the cubby beneath the armrest, 12v socket there as well. These units are available on a monthly subscription basis and seem to give pretty good coverage.

Personally I find it more convenient than an iPhone.

Bluetooth 2.0 has a maximum data rate of 3 Mb/s so would be hopelessly slow for surfing the web, etc.

Bluetooth 3.0 and 4.0 can go up to 24 Mb/s but they do this by handing over the connection to wifi once the initial handshaking has taken place on Bluetooth.

We used a portable wifi in the US, afraid it was nigh on useless - so slow and patchy we gave up on it.

It could be there's better coverage here but I would have to be convinced.

Portable Wi Fi connects via mobile phone network so should give exactly the same coverage as a mobile phone.

If no mobile phone coverage then you are "on your own" as none of the built in features (accident notification, traffic on sat nav etc) of comand will work as they all connect through a sim card.

They biggest variable will be the networks coverage, as I said earlier in the UK I use EE and in Portugal I use Vodafone don't know what would be best for Dorset.

harvin1975 said:
My car connects to my phone via bluetooth and also picks up my home wifi from my drive so i know it can pick up both wifi and bluetooth at the same time.

Had my W205 (MY16) with Comand for a day and I have gone through every menu I can can see but I can't find where you can specify a connection to WiFi? I was hoping to do a similar thing by using a personal MiFi device as my phone is a restricted work phone :-(

I can connect the phone using Bluetooth but internet doesn't work...

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom