Porter Cable Polisher

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rajinder_1

Car
01' Designo SL320 , 96' C36 AMG, 98' C43 AMG Estate 19' Focus & 96' ZX6R Ninja
Guys,
I am thinking about buying a Porter cable, after polishing my car and still not elliminating the swirls in the paint work i am tempted to buy one.
I havent used one before so am a bit catius about taking too much paint/laquer off?
also i would need to buy a transformer and extension leads for the PC to work is that correct?
It then seems to be getting quite expensive, as the Pc is 150 transformer 50 and the extension around 20....
is it worth while?????:confused:

Raj

Raj
Don't worry about taking too much paint off with a PC, you would have to be using hard pads and cutting compound to do that as a PC is a gentle machine.

You will need a transformer and lead.

If feeling brave get a rotary polisher, it still won't take the paint layer down unless used agressively.
I did my car with a rotary and mer polish (only because I had some handy). It took six goes in parts to get the paint flat. Just keep the speed down and the pressure off and as long as you keep the pad flat it won't damage the paint.

I did my car with a rotary and mer polish (only because I had some handy). It took six goes in parts to get the paint flat.

you applied and wiped of the polis 6 times :eek:

what do you mean by getting the paint flat????

Raj

I think we must all be cautious about this question without first seeing the swirl marks. We can speculate, but that is all.

We have a Porter Cable and I really like it, however it is not the lightest piece of equipment, and likewise regarding the transformer.

There are some very good forums that give excellent tips regarding swirl marks and their removal with the Porter Cable.

Good luck with your decision,
John

There can be discount codes had for Autopia, not sure what it is at the moment though but I'll send you a PM with a couple I have.

PC isn't such a bad thing to use on the paint, just go with light abrasives and pads to start and work up if they have no effect. Maybe buy an old panel from a scrappy and test on that.

With regards to rotary, you're a brave man going 6 times at the paint with one. I don't think I'd be brave enough to give the rotary a go with having mastered a PC first, and then practiced on old panels.

I bought my PC at Christmas with the Sonus SFX kit and I think it came to £118, using the currency converter on xe.com postage was another $55 or something like that.

The £118 was including postage. I have just checked xe.com and the price I paid with postage, and a 15% discount code comes out at £115 today.

what do you mean by getting the paint flat????

To the ground, man..;)

Seriously, there was some orange peel laquer that took six goes, but I was being very careful and used a low speed.
Don't forget the polish is only a very mild cutter as it is a hand polish..

To the ground, man..;)

Don't forget the polish is only a very mild cutter as it is a hand polish..

Surely if its designed as a hand polish it will be a very hard cutter when used by a machine? :confused:

Mer is dangerous stuff.

I have ordered a Porter cable :cool:

just got to wait for it to arrive.

I ordered one from autopia cost around £143 with delivery with all the pads . I got a transformer and extension for around £40. Best piece of kit I have every purchased.Takes it all
to another level.

Mine is on it's way. Partners in crime sorting out the transformer - can't wait :rock:

Where are you guys getting your transformers from? and do you have to but cables etc too?

Raj

You may need an extension cable. You can get the transformer from Screwfix etc.

Pammy,
Where did you order yours from Autopia? or from uk?

Autopia using code INTERNATIONAL and told them to mark it as a gift ;)

We purchased our twin socket plus extensioin lead from Screwfix. Our Porter Cable was delivered by the Royal Mail. No customs duty.

Regards,
John

Pammy,
I await with interest the outcome of your polishing.
As mine is also silver, not sure of what improvements that can be obtained as it is pretty shiny already.It will of course be easier, but that is the most exercise apart from cutting the grass I get. I hope that you will prove that statement wrong. Perhaps b4 and after photos. And if your PC does a great job. I will have to get one as well.

Pammy,
I await with interest the outcome of your polishing.
As mine is also silver, not sure of what improvements that can be obtained as it is pretty shiny already.It will of course be easier, but that is the most exercise apart from cutting the grass I get. I hope that you will prove that statement wrong. Perhaps b4 and after photos. And if your PC does a great job. I will have to get one as well.

Be happy to oblige ;) For me it's about getting rid of the surface crud that accumulates as much a great shine :D and then a silky wax finish too that looks the best it can.

the thing is you have to draw the line some where.... on this site these guys are professionals remember and its their livleyhood.
and the stuff they use can damage your paint if used incorrectly!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom