Positive Thinking - Need Help Choosing the Next one...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickg

MB Enthusiast
Car
2000 SL500, 2005 Touareg 5.0 V10 diesel
Well...got to accept that the SL is a goner, so what next?

Top of the list is still another SL60 AMG but also considering XK8 or XKR conv. or a 996 or 993.

Any thoughts?

I am budgeting around £25K at this stage and it will be my everyday car doing c.10k pa so not v heavy usage but must be reliable.

Need power and comfort so, other than the SL, am more drawn to XK. Not bothered about the "old man's car" tag as I think that is bo**o**S.
What is reliability like for W/X reg 2000 cars with c 40/50k miles and can anyone recommend any good forums?

bit bare inside though.

True, i suppose its a lot for the age of the cars too.
The 993 looks a lot better then the 996 though in my opinion, if you decided to go for porches.

Theres a nice XKR in my car park at home, but I would still rather get a nice 996. Much more of a drivers car if you ask me....

M3 offers alot of car for £25k - curse the enemy, I like it though!

too much time spent on this forum has put me off BMs.

For £25k, I'd get a 993 C4 with Glass Targa top. You'll get a far nicer 993 for your money than you would a 996 - for that kind of cash you're talking a fairly high mileage 996 in only middling condition, and only maybe a year or two younger than the 993 for similar money. The 993, last of the air cooled 911's, and a truly beautiful car.

Mind you, why listen to me, I just bought a 2.5k hyundai :)

-simon

You'll be pushed to find a decent XKR for £25k - I'd avoid the convertible as well. Went to see a few yesterday actually - coupe is a much better car both in looks and obviously rigidity. Cars also vary wildly on spec so probably best to go and have a look at a few. Servicing is about £95 + VAT an hour - most expensive service is at 60k miles at £600.

Maserati 3200s are full of problems - auto box is horrendous, ride is jittery and handling can go awry very quickly. They are gorgeous to look at and make a lovely noise however. You'll also have cam-belt services to contend with and depreciation. I contemplated a 4200 GTM as the 3200 is twin-turbo and if they go wrong :eek: . Maserati also recalled some 3200s recently.

SimonsMerc said:
For £25k, I'd get a 993 C4 with Glass Targa top. You'll get a far nicer 993 for your money than you would a 996 - for that kind of cash you're talking a fairly high mileage 996 in only middling condition, and only maybe a year or two younger than the 993 for similar money. The 993, last of the air cooled 911's, and a truly beautiful car.
-simon

I thought that late 993s were fetching more money than early 996s. I'm guessing that people just can't get enough of that old Beetle air-cooled engine :rolleyes:

Maybe the market has changed again. Frankly, I get lost in the Porsche market, there are more versions of that one car than even VW can create with the Golf.

Mike ML said:
M3 offers alot of car for £25k - curse the enemy, I like it though!

I love M3's and most BM's all though im currently looking to buy my first german car on saturday being a MB

I think for 25K an M3 would be a great choice.

how about a 2005 mustang?

nickg said:
............................usage but must be reliable.

Steer clear of a jag then!

Apart from German cars the only other country that produces truely reliable cars is Japan.

The M3 is one hell of a car!

Good luck

German cars used to be reliable. In fact Jaguar probably has a better current reputation than MB.

You could buy a Lexus, but probably fall asleep driving it.

stats007 said:
German cars used to be reliable. In fact Jaguar probably has a better current reputation than MB.

Totally disagree with you I'm afraid.

BMW, Audi, VW, Skoda and Mercedes all knock the pants of a Jaguar when it comes to reliability. How many Jaguars do you see on tow trucks or broken down compared to any of the above? A Jaguar is after all a Ford (Fix Or Repair Daily) Look what happened to Volvo once Ford came along. Quality and reliability plummeted. :eek:

The only country that can compete in the reliability stakes is Japan who really have got it right when it comes to quality. Shame they cant style a car like a European designer though ;)

Mustang - the pony on the front is significant!!
Maser - too much trouble
993/996 - seems like a decent mileage 993 or 996 targa or cab from '97/'98 is retailing at about £30Kish. For £25K I might struggle.
XK - still fancy one
SL60 - better value than all the above it seems........

I've always wanted a 911 so that or another merc will probably be next. Might hire something cheap for a couple of months and wait until Autumn when cabrio prices will cool off a bit.

Alfie said:
Totally disagree with you I'm afraid.

Well you'd be wrong then.

Just one of the many recent quotes:

Don't assume that investing in a 'prestige' brand of car will buy you peace of mind. We've found only one luxury car manufacturer that delivers excellent reliability. Two of the most expensive makes are only average, while a famous German manufacturer has now descended into the poor category in our annual reliability survey.

Last year, we highlighted that many of the German marques, once known for their dependability, are no longer delivering. This time, the picture's looking even gloomier.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom