Possible B-class (2nd generation) sport purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gooey

Car
E90 325i M Sport
Hi all,

First post here so apologies if it's in the wrong place...

I'm looking at buying my wife a B class sport (circa 2012 year) within the next month or so. We're only looking at the second generation one and in the sport spec (primarily because it looks better in our eyes than a non sport one!)

Going to look around a couple at the weekend at my local Benz dealer (Nottingham Inchcape)

Given her mileage, we could go for a petrol or a diesel as she doesn't do more than 6-7k a year. It will generally be her daily run about ferrying the kids from A to B.

Few questions, are there any particular options I should be making sure I have as a must have? Do they have any faults or regular issues I should be aware of?

Also, the more I read makes me think I must go for an auto (the wife doesn't mind) - do they really command a better resale price?

My budget is up to 13k so I'd be looking at something around a 2012 plate and sub 30k mileage.

Apologies for the broad information request but hoping to get a few pointers from knowledgeable people who know the brand (when it comes to options) and hopefully any current owners.

This will be my (our!) first ever Merc so want to make sure we get the right one!

Thanks in advance!

Definitely an auto, manuals are very thin on the ground and generally not well regarded.

I would go for petrol, short journeys low annual mileage don't do diesels much good.

Be aware Sport suspension is very hard, many have complained how uncomfortable it is on the B class.

Ok, guess we need to omit manuals from the search!

Suspension wise, of course, we need to try it (particularly on our roads!) but we've had lots of firm riding cars in the past (RS Twingo, Audi S4's, any of my last BM's, Golf GTi's) so I can't imagine it's horrific!

Guessing if I use the search facility it'll be a well discussed subject?

Hello Gooey.

We got our B180d Sport Auto in September 2012. (New)

It's hasn't missed a beat. The only extras we had are heated seats, sat nav (not Comand), folding mirrors and storage package. Mountain grey.

It's been a great car with no issues at all. We've done just 22,000 miles.

As mentioned about the sports suspension can be a little firm. 18" low profile run flat tyres compound the problem. But I think sport is still the one to have. Looks much better than the SE (IMO).

Let me know if you need any more help/info.

Ant.

I have had a 2112 registered B200 CDI sport auto for 18 months now (strangely enough, also in mountain grey and similar spec to Ant's) and have had no problems so far. The ride is firm but we do 200+ mile journeys without discomfort. From what I have read, getting rid of the runflats should make the ride softer and quieter. I might try that when the tyres need changing, though I feel no urgent need to do so. The heated seats are worth looking out for - my wife loves them!

As other have said,the ride is the main issue with these. I've read about people with Sport versions who ended up swapping them for SE.

Good stuff, seems like they do get positive feedback.

The run flats can be an issue, they compromise ride quality but the stiffer sidewalls do improve turn in sharpness (possibly not that important on a "family" car!) I've always stuck to run flats on my BM's for this reason.

What's the storage package? Sounds like more spaces for the kids to hide things!!

Will look out for heated seats, we had them in her old Golf GtTdi (mk5) and she misses them now!

Is the command the "better" system?

Looking forward to driving one, on paper the engines don't seem very punchy, but I guess it's all about the delivery with the diesels, can't but help think the petrol will feel a little sluggish, especially in auto?

I cannot, hand on heart, say that the non-Command Becker sat-nav system on mine is the best, though it is adequate for most purposes. I prefer my Tom Tom when venturing into unknown territory because it costs nothing to update the maps and has speed camera warnings.

Just another thought: there is a noticeable difference between the Economy and Sport modes. Economy is quite dull but Sport is punchy enough, even if not quite hot hatch! I occasionally use the paddle shifts for more oomph when overtaking but generally I am happy to keep the car in Sport mode.

Good stuff, seems like they do get positive feedback.

The run flats can be an issue, they compromise ride quality but the stiffer sidewalls do improve turn in sharpness (possibly not that important on a "family" car!) I've always stuck to run flats on my BM's for this reason.

What's the storage package? Sounds like more spaces for the kids to hide things!!

Will look out for heated seats, we had them in her old Golf GtTdi (mk5) and she misses them now!

Is the command the "better" system?

Looking forward to driving one, on paper the engines don't seem very punchy, but I guess it's all about the delivery with the diesels, can't but help think the petrol will feel a little sluggish, especially in auto?

Storage pack was only cheap. (£150) Fold own trays on back of front seats for rear passengers. Sunglasses holder in overhead compartment. And a flip down drawer front under drivers and passenger seats.

Heated seats are lovely in the winter. Although daughter not happy there's none in the rear. :p

I've never had Comand so can't say really. But Becker is used lots and always accurate. Never gone wrong yet. Maybe we've just been lucky.

I've never had a really really fast car so I'm as happy as I need be with the power. Would have had B200d but to long a waiting list at the time we ordered (so they said)

Good luck. Ant. :D

I've never had Comand so can't say really. But Becker is used lots and always accurate. Never gone wrong yet. Maybe we've just been lucky. D
Don't get me wrong, Becker isn't bad - in fact I use it most of the time because it's convenient and very easy to use. It did freeze on me once but that was easily sorted. The one thing that irritates me (when I am in an irritable mood :( ) is a habit it has of randomly switching from imperial to metric distances for no apparent reason :confused: . I don't know whether it is still the case but updates could only be downloaded via Windows, whereas I am an iMac user on iOS: so not much use to me. Otherwise, no problems. :D

Yes. TBH I've read many posts re problems with Becker. I wasn't being sarcastic in my post, I genuinely think we've been lucky with it. Never froze, never switched between imperial to metric. And I must confess I've never tried map updates because of the problems everyone speaks of.

One thing I've never mentioned is the collision warning (2-3 very loud beeps) has gone off maybe 20 times in just over 3 years. For no reason at all. So glad we don't have the emergency brake assist like many new cars. That'd really scare me having a car brake for you for no reason.

Ant.

I have had the collision warning beeps for no apparent reason a couple of times in the past 18 months. Both times in wet weather. Ant is right - it ain't half loud! It has happened a few other times if some ***** has cut too close in front of me after overtaking at speed. In those cases I wish the beeps had been many times louder and emitted from a megaphone on the car bonnet. :devil:

The collision assist does sound like it could cause more harm than good, especially with random sharp braking in the wet, maybe one feature to avoid! Does it go off in slow moving traffic? Assume it only activated above a certain speed?

good info on the Becker too - this is the kind of info the dealer clearly won't tell you!

I'm not overly fussed on performance (it's not a hot hatch like you say) but I don't want it to feel underpowered and lethargic. A turn of pace is sometimes needed to get round tractors and slow moving traffic etc. Hopefully driving a manual petrol and an auto diesel at the weekend she can decide which engine/box she wants after that!

My mother has a B180 CDI SE (2007), and we have no complaints. As many have said, the Sport has a much harder suspension, so if you have undulating or rutty roads, the SE is the better choice. If your roads are smooth, then the Sport will be fine.

The one thing I really like about the B Class is that when you fold down, or remove, the rear seats, it turns the B Class in to a small van, which is ideal when visiting the garden centre or DIY store.

As for powered, while the 180 isn't exactly a pocket rocket, it will still get to sixty quite niftily for a taller vehicle. The B200 and B220 will obviously have more poke.

Ours is specced with leather heated seats, and the belt driven auto box. The newer B Class has a standard auto box rather than the belt drive system.

The B Class don't break for itself in a 2012 novel, just the 2015 facelift model onwards. It's just an audible warning

Logically the B should be my next car, assuming I stick with MB. However it seems impossible to spec a B180 SE petrol with 16" wheels and powered folding mirrors (a must in my garage) and that is putting me off.

Can’t say about earlier models, but looking at the pre-facelift June 2014 B Class brochure, the SE has 16” alloys and lists the optional Mirror Package (£310) as having automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors and electrically folding exterior mirrors, so they are available.

After driving both the SE and the Sport, we went for the SE and have been very pleased with it.

Last edited:
We have had the B180 SE petrol from New since June 2014 and other than an intermittent warning light that was down to a bad connector we had no issues. We have now done 14K miles with most of it city and the comfort level is excelent.
Also fuel economy can be very good depending on the conditions. In a very recent trip to France over Xmas it achieved 49MPG with speeds most of the time at 80MPH/130KPH. Of course city/London driving fuel economy is a different animal all together and is closer to 33-35MPG or lower depending on traffic/distance travelled etc.
Worth noting that is manual and we love it. Yes the automatic is preferred by a lot byt don't discard the manual as is a smooth and easy to use gearbox and the clutch is not at all heavy. In terms of options we have the mirror package plus Dual Zone Climate Control (makes massive difference to cabin comfort) plus heated front seats with Artico leather.

We purposely went for the SE rather than the sport because of comfort and smoother ride by the way....

TG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom