Possible Broken Cat Converter on SL500 (R230.)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ALFIE CONN

I have a knocking on the drivers side inside the box, my local Quick Fit say it is a broken cat on the drivers side,m they will get back to me with a price. All the exhaust is ok to look at so it could be as they say.
They also said it is going to be VERY expensive.

Is there any other possible causes?
How much do you think the repair may be?
They said i would need a whole new exhaust as all the exhaust is one unit:dk:.

Last edited:
Need a new exhaust!!!!The cat is not cheap but make sure you get an original one

I need one of my front cat's replaced - quoted just under £900 from Merc, £770/£570 from an independent for Merc/nonOEM parts - comes with about half of an exhaust I think

Mechanic said most likely cause of failure is the cat actually hitting something on the road (ie speed bumps) - but I haven't hit anything in mine so perhaps they just go ?

Take it to another local garage before your hand over any cash, Personally I would avoid any Kwik-Fit like the Plague.

I agree with killerHERTZ

I hear many just have the front cats cut out and have a pipe welded in, still passes the emissions tests

Quick Fit have just rang me back with a rough cost for the whole lot to be replaced, roughly £1,900 :eek:,i think i will pass on that offer.

So does anyone know for sure that the whole exhaust would need to be replaced or like already said, i may get away with a part replacement?

P.S. Thanks for all your replies so far.

Take it to another local garage before your hand over any cash, Personally I would avoid any Kwik-Fit like the Plague.

I stopped into them as i only heard the rattling last night and i pass them on the way into work. I thought it was only going to be a loose bracket :rolleyes:.

Quick Fit have just rang me back with a rough cost for the whole lot to be replaced, roughly £1,900 :eek:,i think i will pass on that offer.

So does anyone know for sure that the whole exhaust would need to be replaced or like already said, i may get away with a part replacement?

P.S. Thanks for all your replies so far.
Give Olly a call or Prestige Autos 2000, London (Codrington Hill)

if it still passes all emission tests, what makes it not legal? legalities aside, thats what a lot do when the front cats break.
I`ll not pass as far as i know.You can bypass the midle silencer,but not the cat

The effective way to do it is to remove the exhaust, open up the cats, gut them out and weld it back up again.

I've never done this myself, but for £1900 I'd try that first if it'll pass the emissions side of things. As an alternative I guess you could have an exhaust place weld in quality aftermarket cats - or worst case you still have the option to replace the current system.

Will

don't even think about using kwik fit! I had the same problem, same car (& got the same daft prices) - visit this Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems - Longlife Exhausts - Longlife find the nearest delaer. The SL has 4 cats - one on each of the downpipes, one on each pipe under the middle - it's the middle one's that go.

I had mine sorted - fabricated from stainless steel, craftsman job, £180 all in with lifetime guarantee:)

The effective way to do it is to remove the exhaust, open up the cats, gut them out and weld it back up again.

I've never done this myself, but for £1900 I'd try that first if it'll pass the emissions side of things. As an alternative I guess you could have an exhaust place weld in quality aftermarket cats - or worst case you still have the option to replace the current system.

Will

Never seen it done on an SL500 but have seen plenty of C Class and CLK' done.

Either decat it altogether or as Will says gut the cat and weld it up again. Not sure about the emissions on a SL500 but C's and CLK's fly through.

If you remove the front cats you will get the engine light coming on as there are sensors on them, the rear cats can be removed and will pass the emissions test, I believe they have four cats for the German market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom