Possible diff noise? (CLS63 W219)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fivehunnit

Car
CLS63 AMG (W219)
Not sure if this could be related to diff/transmission; I get a slight howling noise when going over 30mph, it is very quiet but I do notice things like that, the tyres make a noise but that's separate I think, that's more of a 'whomp whomp' noise, this new sound I often get is most often upon lifting off the accelerator at speeds higher than 30mph I get a distant 'woooooo', it's also not constantly happening, it comes and goes, is this likely to be transmission or differential related? Thanks

Update, while going around 40mph today, and with the sound present, I shifted into neutral and the noise disappeared :dk: this rules out the diff maybe? Or maybe the difference in load just reduced stress on it?

Diff or gearbox whine will vary in volume as you load or unload the drivetrain. So, as a general rule, it will whine under gentle load or gentle overrun, but be quiet on a neutral throttle. It may also go quiet under high load.

Diff or gearbox whine will vary in volume as you load or unload the drivetrain. So, as a general rule, it will whine under gentle load or gentle overrun, but be quiet on a neutral throttle. It may also go quiet under high load.

It does, there seems to be a certain 'spot' where it complains, going above or below the speed will quieten it, there seems to be several of these 'spots', not sure if they relate to gearing or just on how fast the diff is spinning, I can't nail down if it's coming from the front or rear, it sounds to me like it's coming from the nearside window somewhere :dk:

I had this quietish 'wooooo' noise when lifting off the throttle when cruising at motorway speeds on my E46 about 3 years ago.

I changed the diff oil, with the correct fluid, and it's been quiet ever since.

I had this quietish 'wooooo' noise when lifting off the throttle when cruising at motorway speeds on my E46 about 3 years ago.

I changed the diff oil, with the correct fluid, and it's been quiet ever since.

Thanks for that, think this will be first port of call, anyone know the correct type of diff oil for these? Anything I should know other than always remove the filler first and the drainer last?

Do you have a lsd fitted?

When I had the oil changed in my CLS55 all I recall was its bright blue!!

When I had the oil changed in my CLS55 all I recall was its bright blue!!

Thanks for that, I'm yet to read one post where someone had to change their diff, or part rebuild on a CLS63, just a few with the odd whine, stating things like 'it never got any worse', but you know, I bet there are a few out there had it happen, so the niggle is persistent more than the sound it's self.

You need to find out whether you have a standard, limited slip or AMG lock differential.

If you post your VIN up here, then someone will post your data card which may well identify the diff fitted originally.

When you know which diff you have then the MB Bevo (fluids) sheets will identify the correct fluid.

This is a link to the vehicle/component index sheet:
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/231.1_en.html

and these are links to the 3 likely fluid sheets:

Standard diff:
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/235.0_en.html

Standard diff, Limited Slip Diff:
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/235.7_en.html

AMG Lock diff:
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/235.61_en.html

The other way is to get it from your dealer. But, after my dealer tried to sell me a filter kit when I changed the manual transmission fluid on SWMBO's W168, I would double check their findings.

Last edited:
You need to find out whether you have a standard, limited slip or AMG lock differential.

If you post your VIN up here, then someone will post your data card which may well identify the diff fitted originally.

When you know which diff you have then the MB Bevo (fluids) sheets will identify the correct fluid.

This is a link to the vehicle/component index sheet:
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/231.1_en.html

and these are links to the 3 likely fluid sheets:

Standard diff:
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/235.0_en.html

Standard diff, Limited Slip Diff:
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/235.7_en.html

AMG Lock diff:
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/235.61_en.html

The other way is to get it from your dealer. But, after my dealer tried to sell me a filter kit when I changed the manual transmission fluid on SWMBO's W168, I would double check their findings.

Thanks for the info, appreciated, I will post up my vin tomorrow, hope it's not on it's way out.

Here's the data card from my copy of WIS; (nice spec by the way):

Doesn't tell me which diff you have, but maybe a more tech poster can tell you what 'HA Rear Axle' means. Again, MB dealer should be able to give you the right MB fluid from your VIN.

Datacard for vehicle identification number: WDD2193772A123319
Engine number ... 156983 60 019716 Front axle 1 ....
Sales des. ...... CLS 63 AMG Radio unit no. .. BE703971293046
Order number .... 0 7 537 47679 Rear axle 1 .....
Production order Rear axle 2 .....
Transmission .... 722907 01 397099 Cab .............
Vehicle title no. Platform ........
Power take-off .. VIN .............
Front tire 1 .... Trailer hitch ...
Front tire 2 .... Steering ........
Rear tire 1 ..... Equipment ....... 281A
Rear tire 2 ..... Paint/code 1 .... 197U
Order number 1 .. Paint/code 2 ....
Rims ............ Paint/code 3 ....
Lamps ........... Paint/code 4 ....
Windshield wipers Paint/code 5 ....
Order number 2 .. Door lock .......
Speed. corr. .... Steering lock ...
Transmission lock
Tank lock .......
Delivery date ...
SA code:
197U OBSIDIAN BLACK
205B OWNERS MANUAL AND SERVICE RECORD - ENGLISH
220 PARKTRONIC SYSTEM (PTS)
241 FRONT SEAT LH ELECTRIC ADJUSTABLE WITH MEMORY
249 INSIDE AND OUTSIDE MIRROR AUTOMATIC DIMMING
255B No code designation available
275 MEMORY PACKAGE (DRIVER SEAT, STRG. COL., MIRROR)
280A LEATHER
281A LEATHER - BLACK/ANTHRACITE
283B AIRBAGLABLE - ENGLISH
335B INSTRUMENT CLUSTER/HU LANGUAGE - ENGLISH
386 MOBILE PRE.-INSTALLATION (MTUS)
401 FRONT SEAT CLIMATE CONTROL
404 MULTI-CONTOUR SEAT, FRONT LEFT
405 MULTI-CONTOUR SEAT, FRONT RIGHT
414 ELECTRIC TILT/SLIDE SUNROOF IN GLASS VERSION
427 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 7-SPEED
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
489 AIRMATIC DUAL CONTROL / AIR SUSPENSION SEMI-ACTIVE
500 OUTSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR LH AND RH FOLDING
527 COMAND DVD APS WITH NAVIGATION
537L GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND
540 ROLLER BLIND, ELECTRIC, FOR REAR WINDOW
551 ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM
573 CHILD SEAT MOUNTING, ISOFIX IN REAR
581 AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL
5XXL EUROPE
600 HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT
616 BI-XENON HEADLICHT W.ACTVIE CURVELIGHT LEFT-DRIVE
666 PRODUCT PROT.F.TRANSPORT VEH. W/O TIE-DOWN HOOKS
669 SPARE WHEEL / FOLDING WHEEL
731 TRIM PIECES - WOOD BURRED WALNUT VENEER
770 AMG 19" SPOKED WHEELS WITH MIXED TIRES
772 AMG STYLING PACKAGE-FRONT SPOILER, SIDE SKIRT
808 AEJ 07/1
810 SOUND SYSTEM
817 SIREN BRACKET FOR INCREASED THEFT PROTECTION
819 CD CHANGER
875 HEATED SCREEN WASH SYSTEM
882 INTERIOR SAFEGUARD
885 HIGHTEN THEFT PROTECTION
889 KEYLESS - GO
97V SPEED- + LOADINDEX 96Y XL+98Y XL
983 COC PAPER EURO 4 TECHNOLOGY W/O REG. CERT. PART II
989 IDENTIFICATION LABEL UNDER WINDSHIELD
A22 NEW CONVERTER GENERATION
A24 JOINT FLANGE, 4-ARM 120
A38 M - VALVE Body ............H VGS 2
A44 SOFTWARE 3
F219 MODEL SERIES 219
FC COUPE
G907 TRANSMISSION CODE VERSION 07
GA AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
HA REAR AXLE
K11 ADAPTIVE STOP LIGHT FLASHING
K14 STEUERCODE FUER SERVICEINTERVALL 20000 KM
M156 V8 GASOLINE ENGINE M156 - AMG
M63 6.3 LITER DISPLACEMENT
R RIGHT-HAND STEERING
R01 SUMMER TIRES
U18 AUTOMATIC CHILD SEAT RECOGNITATION (AKSE)
VL FRONT AXLE HALF, LEFT
VR FRONT AXLE HALF, RIGHT

More info:

Looking at EPC with your VIN shows the diff as being A 230 350 42 14, then looking at EPC for a generic rhd 219.377, it reveals several other diff numbers (A 230 350 55 14, replaced by A 230 350 70 14, replaced by A 219 350 63 14) , but all are for those cars with options 471 (Mechanical locking differential) or P30 (AMG Performance package).

As your data card doesn't list either of these options, then I guess you have a standard diff (or it did have when it was built).

Thanks very much for all the info :) great help, hopefully get the oil changed out soon and report back on the results, thanks again

A few days ago, I also found recommendations for this stuff, do you think it would do any good/harm in the diff? Likely to quieten it down slightly? image.jpegI personally use their ceratec in the engine from reading nothing but great reviews on here and other places, company regarded highly by pretty much everyone I've seen mention them?

Ok I had a go with the GoPro today, I fixed it next to the diff and took it for a drive and heard the noise in the cabin but played the video back and there was no obvious noise to be honest, I couldn't get very close to the centre support bearing to stick it there, but I did near the firewall of the engine to see if the gearbox could be the source, nothing really obvious either.
What I've actually found is that I can replicate the noise by sitting in neutral and getting the revs very slightly over 1,000 and holding it there, it sounds exactly like what I'm hearing while driving, but could that be a very similar noise from something like a pulley bearing, but still unrelated to the other noise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom