POSSIBLE group buy :: Quaife ATB LSD for C32 and E55 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
If you're not familiar with what a Quaife ATB LSD is, you may find this webpage a useful introduction.

In short though, an ATB LSD improves acceleration and cornering speed, by sensing which of the driven wheels has the most grip, and smoothly channels power to that wheel.

In many real life conditions, a modern car may have greater power at it's disposal than grip will allow to be transmitted to the road, and so ESP intervenes. With an LSD more of that power can be deployed more of the time.

In addition to the obvious performance benefits, the ATB LSD can help in any low grip conditions (wet, snow, ice), especially useful for relatively powerful RWD cars with wide tyres.

In recent years it's been cheaper to use computer technology to take the place of an LSD. Whilst the safety aspects of technology are welcomed, there's no substitute to a mechanical LSD for optimum performance.

That's not to say that an LSD and computer technology can't work together though - they can - it's just that the ESP isn't required so much as the LSD maximises the way in which the available grip is used.

Sounds good? So what are the options?

Kleemann offer an own-brand LSD with upto 60% lock-up which they claim can reduce the 0-62mph time by 0.3 seconds!! Read more about the Kleemann LSD here.

Kleemann charge £1795.00 + VAT for parts and £451.00 + VAT for fitting (about £2650 all in) - although this is based upon 2005 prices as they won't respond to my enquiry!!

Birds offer Quaife LSDs and they've received great magazine reviews recently having fitted one to their Hartge BMW 335i recently. Read more about the Birds/Quaife LSD here.

Birds charge £1173.20 for parts and £550.45 for fitting (about £1725 all in) - not sure if that's inclusive or exclusive of VAT though - I suspect VAT is extra though.

Still sounds good? Wouldn't it be better if they were cheaper though?

I've been in touch with Quaife directly to see if there's a deal to be had. And there is!!

Quaife will charge £675.00 + VAT for parts and £125.00 + VAT for fitting (about £940 all in) - and that includes VAT. They do warn though that there may or may not be an extra charge should they find any bearings or seals that need replacement.

My contact there is very open to negotiate further if we can arrange a group buy.

That's already an excellent price for the improvement in performance on offer - especially when you consider the part has a lifetime warranty. To get an equivalent improvement in performance from engine tuning would very likely cost a lot more.

All prices quoted above are for the C32 AMG, in the interests of parity. Quaife use the same LSD for the W203 C32K and W210 E55. They also list separate parts for the W211 E55K, and 500 SLC.

That means that there's an application for the 32K, 55 (N/A), and 55K engined cars. Given that the same engine and gearboxes appear in other AMG models too, I'm guessing that the may be potential for other models too - just that they've never been installed. We'd therefore need to check about suitability for CL55, CLK55, S55, CL55K, CLS55K, S55K, etc.

For now all I'm looking to do is gauge interest only to see if there is the opportunity to negotiate a keener price.

Please post on this thread if you're interested.

Funny you should mention this as i was speaking to quaife at the nec the past weekend, i also know for a fact that the US guys are blessing quaife as many have installed there lsd and found it very very good.

I honestly cant believe that MB didnt supply there AMG cars with a lsd in the first place as rear wheel spin under hard acceleration can be found in either wet or dry conditions and i also do agree with you Rob as any car would benefit from an lsd regardless of model.

If theres a group buy on Quaifes lsd then you can certainly put my name down as the prices they quoted you are exceptionally good.

Well done Rob.

Thanks Andy. You're right, they have a formidable reputation for the benefit you get, but also the quality of the item. To boot, the deal I quoted above is for Quaife to fit the LSD themself.

Matt32 is also interested so we have the basis for some negotiation. If a few more people are in, I think we may be able to get a fair discount. Let's see how many more throw their keys in the metaphorical hat. Ahem.

Rob

Thanks for the PM on this, and for researching it.

Sounds amazing, and am definitely interested. Am I right in thinking that the LSD would not decrease the effectiveness of the ESP or mess it up in any way?

Cheers.

excuse the ignorance, where does the LSD get put in .. does the existing rear differential (into which the drive shaft from the gearbox goes, and out of which drive is sent to the rear wheels) get modified or is it replaced?

if replaced, how do we know that the replacement unit is as strong as a Mercedes one?

Thanks for the PM on this, and for researching it.

Sounds amazing, and am definitely interested. Am I right in thinking that the LSD would not decrease the effectiveness of the ESP or mess it up in any way?

No problem!! ;)

It should compliment the existing ESP system - effectively ESP won't need to step in as traction will be maintained for longer.

As the ATB LSD is continuously variable it's effects are smooth and progressive too, again complimenting ESP, with no nasty surprises.

excuse the ignorance, where does the LSD get put in .. does the existing rear differential (into which the drive shaft from the gearbox goes, and out of which drive is sent to the rear wheels) get modified or is it replaced?

if replaced, how do we know that the replacement unit is as strong as a Mercedes one?
The ATB LSD is a straight replacement for the OEM 'open' differential - out comes the old one, and in goes the Quaife unit.

It's absolutely as strong. Quaife's reputation is superb, and are OEM manufacturers, and suppliers to top level motorsport. I would be very surprised if the optional LSD on the C63 AMG is not a Quaife.

They come with a lifetime warranty and apparently there's never been a claim. A cynic may say Mercedes have never paid out on Mobilolife either as rust repairs are goodwill. I'm inclined to believe the claim though.

As it's all helical gear driven there are no sudden transfers, or open/closed or on/off situations. There are also no wearing friction parts.

If the Traction Control light comes on then yes!! Of course the more power the engine has, then the more difficult it will be to transfer to the road, and so the greater the potential benefit.

They don't list one for your car. Doesn't mean it's not possible - whether it's cost effective or viable I'm not sure. When I have a list of interested people I'll go back to my contact there - I'll ask if there's any possibility.

if only this had come up 6 months earlier, I would have save the cost (labour mostly) of replacing the seal for the driveshaft from the gearbox to the rear differential :(

but thanks very much for the good work!

No problem!! ;)

The ATB LSD is a straight replacement for the OEM 'open' differential - out comes the old one, and in goes the Quaife unit.

Thanks..........I have spoken with them and they were not interested in the slightest, perhaps the prospect of a group buy might make a difference.

There are a few threads on MBWorld that started before Quaife made the ATB LSD for the AMGs.

Having read a number of those threads this one seems to track the roller coaster best.

The threads I've looked at have been C32/C55 focussed, although it seems that Quaife produce 210mm diffs for 2.82 and 3.27 ring and pinions. 210 mm diffs came in C32s, C55s, CLK55s, E55, S55s, CL55s, and CLS55s and possibly SL55s.

Earlier C32s need later style driveshafts apparently. Once we know how many interested people there are, we'll need to look at the specifics for each car to ensure availability.

It seems the casing on the SLK32 is slightly smaller due to clearance issues, so again we'd need to check suitability to see if there's a Quaife unit to fit.

The some of the labour costs suggested in the US seem much higher than I was quoted by email. Again, when I go back with an indication of how many people are interested, I'll ask them to confirm the fitting price.

That said, £125 + VAT looks like two hours labour to me, which for somebody that installs the ATB LSD all day every day, might be enough. A general mechanic fitting their first may need longer!!

Hopefully everything will become clearer - and some questions answered - moving forward.

It's absolutely as strong. Quaife's reputation is superb, and are OEM manufacturers, and suppliers to top level motorsport. I would be very surprised if the optional LSD on the C63 AMG is not a Quaife.

They come with a lifetime warranty and apparently there's never been a claim.

I forgot to say the warranty even covers competition use!!

Motorsport/competition use for many products is usually an exclusion. Not it seems for a Quaife ATB LSD!!

:rock:

I'm getting excited. I just hope it's a go-er, and suitable when it comes to the crunch, ie I'm hoping that don't have the older style drive shafts!!

It seems that Quaife produced the LSD for the AMG applications following repeated requests from the US tuner EvoSport.

EvoSport's website lists applications for the two parts:

Quaife - ATB Sport Differential - Mercedes-Benz Produced BEFORE 9/2003 - w210 E55; w203 C32 - [QFE.DRV.MBZ.001]

Quaife - ATB Sport Differential - Mercedes-Benz Produced AFTER 9/2003 - w211 E55 AMG; w211 E63 AMG; w203 C55; w219 CLS55 AMG; w219 CLS63 AMG; r230 SL55 AMG - [QFE.DRV.MBZ.002]

It seems that Quaife produced the LSD for the AMG applications following repeated requests from the US tuner EvoSport.

EvoSport's website lists applications for the two parts:

Quaife - ATB Sport Differential - Mercedes-Benz Produced BEFORE 9/2003 - w210 E55; w203 C32 - [QFE.DRV.MBZ.001]

Quaife - ATB Sport Differential - Mercedes-Benz Produced AFTER 9/2003 - w211 E55 AMG; w211 E63 AMG; w203 C55; w219 CLS55 AMG; w219 CLS63 AMG; r230 SL55 AMG - [QFE.DRV.MBZ.002]

I smell a quaife gtg........:bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

If they can do somehting for the w124 id 100% be interested, for the E36. I see no reason why its not possible, the diff gear in a 210 was a 126 part number, the w124 asd diff also carrys a 126 part number, so in theory its possible.

Agree re the 124.

Very easy to spin wheels starting off in second gear in mine.

Roundabouts are also interesting when it is only slightly greasy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom