POSSIBLE group buy :: Quaife ATB LSD for C32 and E55 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's an option as part of the Performance pack, I've ordered an estate, so I'm not likely to see that towards the end of the year, but I really don't want racing brakes 19" wheels etc, which it appears I have to have to enjoy an LSD.

I actually think it's ridiculous it's not standard.

Although in a way I agree, generally LSDs have a shorter working life than open diffs, whereas the electronics just wear out your rear brakes. Also I think that if your driving style necessitates an LSD then the bigger brakes are probably essential too, and the 19" rims probably to accommodate the brakes...

At night with the lines and lights all a blur my passengers sometimes think they've popped LSD.

LSD Quaife

I spoke with Quaife last week and the supply of their LSD's for Mercs is a complex situation. No 1 they dont install,although their site says they do. They currently make units that fit C32,E55 and SL500. They do not have sufficient engineering data on Merc diffs to confirm which models their units will fit. It is their intention to form a supply agreement with a UK based supplier/installer who knows Mercs inside out to undertake the engineering confirmation of what will fit. This is currently what they do with all BMW products.
If you are in the States you are in luck their US agent currently does this ! Maybe you can check and tell us Brits what Quaife model we need !!
So 63 AMG series cars ? Kleeman or Brabus ?

Will contact the guy I spoke to then. He quoted me a fitted price!!

They have an agreement with Birds which means that you can only buy an LSD from Birds for BMW fitments.

Birds supply and fit them for MBs too, but they don't have the same agreement.

If they do another agreement like the BMW one it will be bad news, as it will bump up the price.

Not had half a chance. Will try my contact sometime this week.

Just wanted to let you know BD that there seems to be some activity for this same diff with our friends over the pond too
Here
I don't suppose that doing something with them might help to strengthen our position with this deal?

Adrian.

Hi Bobby Dazzler, Any further on the LSD as I need one and Quaife are unsure which one will fit my 209 CLK 55?
Cheers.

I'll drop the guy at Quaife an email now we have some interested parties to see what the best price they can do.

With regards to which one fits, it's best to take a look at the US forums - it's a popular mod out there since the US distributer was appointed.

I'll have a look tonight if I get half a chance.

www.phantomgrip.com

Ive got a cheaper alternative in america...
Yes you can send us the diffs and we can make fitment on them. The cost would be 499.95.

You can send the diffs to:

Phantom Grip
6346 Lantana Rd Suite 65
Lake Worth, FL 33463

Please be sure to include make model and year of vehicle as well as contact information.

Max Hughes wrote:
.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding:0px;} .ExternalClass body.EC_hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;} Their are a lot of mercedes guys in the US and in england questioning the prices of the kleemann LSD which is a direct match to your design. Kleemann charges thousands for this setup and a lot of mercedes guys with w210 and 211 chassis E320's, E430's, and E55's are showing a lot of interest in your products. I myself have a turbocharged E320 running 10 psi and making just under 450 hp. It is a beast and but its open diff hampers its potential. Long story short: I have a spare E320 diff and if at all possible I would like to know if you could machine one of your LSD's for it and the cost. Also several members of www.mbworld.org have E55's and are still looking for an LSD and are also very interested in your products. One member also has a spare diff he would donate without question.​

Finally got round to contacting Quaife. Here's part of their response:

Quaife said:
Do you have any info with regards to fitment as we do not know what ATB fits to these vehicles.

We have only ever manufactured to supplied sample differentials and do not know as to the vehicle models they fit, or are they all QDF7V ?

QDF7V is the only one we have in stock (9).

They were unable to advise whether the QDF7V (C32 AMG) would be suitable for the non-listed fitments, ie W124s.

Any bright ideas as to how we can find out? Could we find out for VIN numbers?

Finally got round to contacting Quaife. Here's part of their response:

They were unable to advise whether the QDF7V (C32 AMG) would be suitable for the non-listed fitments, ie W124s.

Any bright ideas as to how we can find out? Could we find out for VIN numbers?

Why is ordering lsd's for our cars so difficult ??? lol amazing

The catalogue used to mention a part for the W211 E55 AMG, but he didn't mention it in the email back to me. To be fair I did mention the part number for the W203 C32 AMG.

I think it was the W124s that are causing confusion simply because they've never fitted one (probably very little demand).

Not sure hiw far you peeps got with this. I enquired a couple months back for my W211 E55. They would supply but not fit, and at the time it was not a part they were making generally available. It had been developed for some company in the states that then didn't purchase the full quoter. I have just looked recently on the quaife website and the diff for the E%% W211 is shown along with more Merc model support. I am going to use RM Fensome to fit the diff internals based in Luton.

LSD for w210

Hi,

I want to put worm gears LSD on my rear-wheel-drive 1998 Mercedes E-class w210 290 turbo diesel. It has ASR (Acceleration Slip Regulation) and no ESP. Although this is not an AMG version I need LSD especially in the winter. My VIN is WDB2100171A583204. I live in Sofia, Bulgaria and my email is [email protected]

Is it possible?
Do you have installation manual?
How much does the LSD for my car cost?

Best regards

[FONT=&quot]Evstati [/FONT]

What was the end result on this in the end??

I've got to say, it's got to be quite an interesting option for anyone with an AMG engined MB. I feel that the CLK55 would benefit quite a bit from an LSD, I'm sure the '55 Kompressor models with the extra power and low down shove could be greatly improved.

£675 + Vat seems like excellent value. About the same as a front brake service! :D

Will

Peter Mansell (a forum member) has one on his CLK 55. It is mighty impressive. Expect high tyre wear though.

Thinking about this once more, I think it's probably worth investing in some top quality tyres first as well - I'm sure some of the traction complaints that I direct at putting down power from the '55 in my CLK could be attributed to the current tyres (new ones due to be fitted in a week or two). The current ones may be okay for normal cars :)o), but an AMG needs decent rubber IMHO. I'm sure most AMG owners use premium tyres anyway, but certainly tyres can make/break a car in my experience :)

Will

Thinking about this once more, I think it's probably worth investing in some top quality tyres first as well - I'm sure some of the traction complaints that I direct at putting down power from the '55 in my CLK could be attributed to the current tyres (new ones due to be fitted in a week or two). The current ones may be okay for normal cars :)o), but an AMG needs decent rubber IMHO. I'm sure most AMG owners use premium tyres anyway, but certainly tyres can make/break a car in my experience :)

Will

Very true indeed:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom