POSSIBLE group buy :: Quaife ATB LSD for C32 and E55 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What was the end result on this in the end??

Fizzled out. I still sometimes think it might be a good idea to get one though.

Having just joined the forum (after buying the car previously owned by 2skiddy who posted on the previous page in this thread) this would/would have been great. I do a few track & car control days, latterly in an MX-5 with an LSD fitted. Will be doing one at the start of October so I'll be able to report back on how much inside wheel tyre smoke is caused by the open diff!

Cheers,
Jon

Having just joined the forum (after buying the car previously owned by 2skiddy who posted on the previous page in this thread) this would/would have been great. I do a few track & car control days, latterly in an MX-5 with an LSD fitted. Will be doing one at the start of October so I'll be able to report back on how much inside wheel tyre smoke is caused by the open diff!

Cheers,
Jon

Alot lol:D

I have a set of worn Eagle F1s ready for the occasion :)

Do you still have your contact??
Could it be un-fizzled?:rolleyes:

If you're really keen, rather than be dependent upon a group buy that has fizzled, you could always call them and buy one directly once you've bought the car. :rolleyes:

Can you get LSD on the W220 320 CDI?

IIRC they don't quote fitment for many MBs at all, but it's highly likely that they'll have one that fits - lots of MBs share transmission components.

They just don't list for applications (ie cars) that they've never actially supplied/fitted one for/to - or at least that's what they told me.

Lsd

I had a Quaife LSD fitted by Birds and they were excellent. Done a few thousand miles on it now including several track days. What a difference ! and it works great inconjunction with the ESP "on" if you want to drive fast,if you want to fish tail and burn mega rubber and simply show off, turn ESP off. ( I,ve dont that too being honest )
Whilst it helps for a quick pull away where it is most noticable is putting the power down coming out of long fast bend, the back sits down,digs in and grips and just pushes you out of the bend with minimal yellow flashing triangle,if any on the right road surface. Call Birds they know their stuff, and a free loan car whilst its fitted.

I had a Quaife LSD fitted by Birds and they were excellent. Done a few thousand miles on it now including several track days. What a difference ! and it works great inconjunction with the ESP "on" if you want to drive fast,if you want to fish tail and burn mega rubber and simply show off, turn ESP off. ( I,ve dont that too being honest )
Whilst it helps for a quick pull away where it is most noticable is putting the power down coming out of long fast bend, the back sits down,digs in and grips and just pushes you out of the bend with minimal yellow flashing triangle,if any on the right road surface. Call Birds they know their stuff, and a free loan car whilst its fitted.

Me too. I've had it fitted (by Birds) since December 2007 on a CLK55 AMG (209) at 55K miles and now I've just topped 75K miles. The LSD is great and does make a real difference on track. The biggest difference to the car's handling though was fitting H&R anti roll bars to dial out most of the understeer.

But as I have said on other posts my rear tyre wear is now averaging 4000 miles per set!

Me too. I've had it fitted (by Birds) since December 2007 on a CLK55 AMG (209) at 55K miles and now I've just topped 75K miles. The LSD is great and does make a real difference on track. The biggest difference to the car's handling though was fitting H&R anti roll bars to dial out most of the understeer.

But as I have said on other posts my rear tyre wear is now averaging 4000 miles per set!

How much was your Birds install then??

Ouch about the tyre life tho:eek:

:eek:
scan0002.jpg

But we only live once ....

i am interested as well

Or so we are led to believe eh.

So if you don't track your ride is the upgrade worthwhile?

The short answer is no. If I didn't track my car I would still say that changing the anti roll bars is worthwhile as it does reduce understeer without too much drama and the cost is in the hundreds.

The only real benefit I have found with the LSD on road driving is that it reduces the ESP intrusion massively – but at the cost of your tyre wear. Whether this is worthwhile depends on how much cash you have! If money isn’t a problem and you drive heartily then I would go for it. (Maybe it would give you a better idea if I said that I won’t get another car without an LSD).

On track it’s a different story and I concur exactly with the explanation GAZMAN gives – ie the car digs in on corners in a way that is incomparable with the car prior to the LSD being fitted and makes for sooooooo much satisfaction.

GAZMAN – what’s the change done to your tyre wear? (I’m interested to know because it might indicate my tyre wear changed due more to the anti roll bar and LSD rather than just the LSD)

Thanks for the details on the LSD on the W209 CLK. Especially for posting your invoice up. You going to any trackdays soon? I'm considering Bedford on Nov 21st as my first one, after doing an (LSD-free) drift day in 3 weeks time.

Yep - I am going to Brands Hatch on the 23rd with my son. You bought 2skiddy's clk did you not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom