Possible head gasket or not.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
s55 amg kompressor
Had the s55 at at njs solutions today as I found it leaking when I pressurised it, the radiator is new, after it was on their ramp they said the new radiator is leaking at the seams and what I'm not sure about is they think the system is pressurising and is high. Has anyone had the same problem, nigel said he had a similar problem with a car once that had two radiators that leaked and it was a head gasket that was over pressurised the system. Its got to go back after the new year to run tests to determine issue, it overheated once with the old radiator when my mate who's a mb mechanic was running diagnostic and it was on my drive on idea only and overheated. Still can't find any of the usual tell tale signs of head gasket failure. Any feedback welcome. Thanks

If the HG is causing that much pressure in the cooling system then you should test for exhaust gases in the coolant. If that result is negative then it is a faulty radiator. Is the new rad a quality brand or unknown cheap one?

The radiator shouldn’t leak due to pressure - that’s why there’s a pressure relief valve built into the expansion tank? If it was being pressurised that much by combustion gases you would also probably see bubbling from the expansion tank also.

Sounds more likely a faulty radiator - as already said was it a genuine part or decent quality item?

If the HG is causing that much pressure in the cooling system then you should test for exhaust gases in the coolant. If that result is negative then it is a faulty radiator. Is the new rad a quality brand or unknown cheap one?
Nissan, a good regarded make, am going back to euros today and with the receipt and bill for the work, £950 to see what compensation I can get.

The radiator shouldn’t leak due to pressure - that’s why there’s a pressure relief valve built into the expansion tank? If it was being pressurised that much by combustion gases you would also probably see bubbling from the expansion tank also.

Sounds more likely a faulty radiator - as already said was it a genuine part or decent quality item?
Good make nissen

I would agree; I have used Nissens rads in the past without any problems. It does sound most likely to be a problem with the rad though.

Nissan, a good regarded make, am going back to euros today and with the receipt and bill for the work, £950 to see what compensation I can get.
What happened in the end?

It's going to the garage on the 7th Jan, as they want to run tests on the head, I did the chemical test the other day and was fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom