Possible purchase C63 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hedgehogsdad

Car
Mercedes C63 AMG
Hi all,

I hope that I've posted this in the right place...

I'm thinking of buying a C63 AMG to replace my daily driver, a BMW 135M. My circumstances have changed and I suspect that my annual mileage will drop to something around 10,000 p.a.

I'd love to hear from people who have one and to understand what might be the best model, which spec/options etc and whether there are any pitfalls to ownership. My budget will be up to £25k.

I also have a Porsche 997 Turbo as a weekend car and it would be great to hear from anyone who has driven both.

Cheers and I look forward to hearing from you.

With your budget you can get in a reasonably late w204, maybe a ppp model if that takes your fancy. Although a standard with a map is up to the same power. LSD is worth getting. I can’t comment on how it is as a daily drive because mines always been a weekend car. If you have a 997 turbo I would say your pretty spoiled and the only thing you haven’t got is the sound of the c63. I personally would swap my c63 for a 997 turbo any day. But if you have chance to own both go for it.

As above. £25k will get you into a 2013 W204. These cars are pretty well specified so most options are nice to have rather than essential. LSD would be good but very easy to fit a Quaife after market one, reversing camera would be on my must have list but can't think of much apart from that. Colour and interior trim are very personal choices that only you can decide

I had same budget and bought my C63 last week.

I was waiting for the right car to come along. Facelift, low miles, FMBSH, silver paint, black leather, estate, PPP and LSD. A car with all the above except LSD but fresh MB service and new brakes came along so bought it. A LSD is easily added at a later date.

PPP I think will aid residuals or make it more desirable to sell at a later date. The downside is expensive brake replacements. I like the alcantara steering wheel and adds to the occasion for me.

I had a 997 C4S and had a loan 997 Turbo for 4 weeks.
Loved the C4S but the C63 is a more fun car.
The 997 got more looks and dare I say it I think it had a greater presence on the road.
I could not gel with the Turbo and found it fast but the power delivery was all or nothing which is great for long straights but for every day driving I hated it. I am not saying they are a bad car but just not for me.
The reputation of the 911 Turbo is huge but there are cars that are as good if not better which will make a 911 driver wonder what is happening.
The power of a C63 n/a engine with a remap is the one I would have every day without question and the bonus is it is quite stealth.

I came from a modded 380bhp 135i to my C63 in Feb last year and have used the AMG to commute into Manchester City centre every day. Also took it on many ferocious blasts in North Wales and have ferried the family to Cornwall and Whitby an numerous occasions. It hasn't put a foot wrong and has been nothing short of sensational and bullet proof during this time. I've never felt the need to add an LSD or tune it - despite me being a serial modder for over 20 years. Lots of these cars have problems with aircon so check that works perfectly. I test drove about 3 before this one and two of them had pretty bad left side drift in the steering. This isn't a fault but each one is different so pay attention when you test drive. Good luck.

Thanks guys for your responses, all very helpful. How thirsty are these cars in real use, both in terms of fuel and tyres - I've hear some horror stories, particularly about rear tyres?

Your comments about the turbo are accurate, particularly as mine is a tiptronic gearbox which is very sluggish. What are the gearboxes like in the C63?

Expect to get between 15 - 25mpg depending on type of journey and how you drive.

Can’t comment on tyres as haven’t worn mine out yet.

Gearbox is fine. Just make sure it had an oil and filter change at 3 years.

I've been quite impressed with tyre wear - had mine since Jan, 3k miles later and only got through two sets of rear tyres :cool:

Reactions: Yex
Mine is for sale, bedgrugingly. :) Good luck in your hunt though. You will not regret it.

I've been quite impressed with tyre wear - had mine since Jan, 3k miles later and only got through two sets of rear tyres :cool:
ive had my c63 getting on for 6 years now. It’s a regular issue that comes up on here concerning rear tyre wear. Although mines only ever been a weekend car I drive it reasonably hard when I do drive it. My car came with nexen’s on so I just left them on due to the fact I wasn’t going to waste money for no reason. These tyres took forever to wear!! In fact I think pretty much all 4 was changed due to punctures and miss shaping ( maybe due to it being a budget tyre ) I then had conti’s put on all round and the rear tyres have lasted well under half the time the nexen’s did. And to be truthful I didn’t notice any difference in performance, grip. Although it’s rare my cars out in the rain so it’s only ever been dry weather driving mostly. I won’t be going conti’s this time. I’m going with sportmaxx or even nexen’s lol.

Joking aside, I've not seen a huge amount of wear on the rears since January, despite one or two moments of keen driving ;) MSP's currently on the rear and just had two MSP4's fitted on the front yesterday, which from reading all the reviews seem highly rated.

I use mine to and from work occasionally when i need to and in stop start traffic its lovely as i just use the adaptive cruise, nice and lazy and does the limo Merc thing really well. Then if you get a stretch it roars! :D The other halfs pet name for it is 'Leo' :D. With a quick rev you can also scare the crap out of people not expecting it to be ferocious! On my commute i get 18-19mpg and 24 on a medium run. For long runs I use the other daily! Tyres and fuel doesnt seem too bad to me but i guess it depends where you are coming from and what you are used to.

Done 7000 miles on mine this year and no visible signs of any more wear on the tyres than the start and that includes firm driving thru many swiss/italian alpine passes, mpg runs at about 23 avg

Thanks all, sounds like there are no major pitfalls, particularly on later cars, and given my likely mileage it shouldn't be prohibitive to run one - better get looking!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom