Possible silly question about idler damper strut in C250 TD W202 diesel engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

purps

Car
'99 W202 C250 TD (estate)
With the top mounting bolt removed, is it normal to be able to remove the metal bush from the rubber surround?

My instincts say no, but at the same time the strut only needs to take out forces in bearing, so does it matter providing it's a snug fit (which it is).

Cheers,
Matt.

@BlackC55 - Thanks, to the point. Maybe this explains my idling noise then. Applying pressure to the lower mount makes the noise go away, but I still don't feel I can rule out idler pulley bearing. Noise also goes away with any revs higher than idle.

@guydewdney - would you believe that I am about to visit Porlock. Unfortunately I will be in my MX-5 though. Out of interest is it filtered and ready to go in the tank?

Last edited:
Some was, but its not now as some unfiltered has been mixed in. Pop in, i have some 202 bits left over inc a brand new wiper arm mech. Pm me for detais (your pm is switched off)

I would replace the damper first. They are very common to wear out.

Chaps, I'm struggling to remove the lowermost bolt on the damper - the pulley behind the viscous fan (waterpump pulley?) is obstructing the removal.

Am I missing a trick here? Can I safely remove the spring and rotate the whole assembly, will that give me enough room?

Or has the rad/fan/pulley all got to come out?

Cheers,
Matt.

PS @guydewdney I never made it down in the end, the old man slipped a disc! Not that I would have fitted much WVO in the car :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom