Possible supply of used, un-rusty w124 wings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

isobars

Car
300SD'79, E300TD '95, 300TDT '82, 280CE '84, 250L '84, 300SEL LPG '91, 300D '80, 300CE '91, 300E '89
Hi All,
I've found a large scrapyard here in Portugal with an owner who seems a reasonable sort. We got chatting and I said I needed things and would pop down with a list next week, (I have three 124's, so need thee wings - obv, as they say).
I wondered if I put a larger request to him he's give me a better price. I go to England three or four times a year and come to Portugal twice. I usually have some space in my trailer and could probably get four wings in there.
The questions are, what is a used but un-rusty wing worth in the UK, and of course, what'll he sell them for!
If someone could give me a guide on the first, I'll see if it's worth trying to get a few if he's reasonable - a sinking pound won't help, sadly.
Any other ideas on bits to import welcome, but I suppose non-panel bits are easy to find in UK and The Fatherland - unless there's something outrageously expensive there which might not be here?
I imagine there're a few earlier bits around, there's still a few 123's running about here as daily drivers - mine included.
A note of caution, cars here are hugely expensive in comparison to the UK and some things follow suit- I'll try though!
Cheers,

Paul

Several years ago when I was hankering for a 635csi I looked into this with front wings from the US sunbelt.

With the purchase price, shipping, C&E duty, VAT etc it just wasn't economically viable.
------------------------
optimus,

I've got a pretty good genuine MB W124 OSF wing. Has some rust on the inside but is still very solid & will clean up prior to painting.

PM an email addy if you want to see pix.

If he has any facelift [post 93] heated leather seat covers or a front seat I'd be keen to get the heating element set out of them...

Also potentially interested depending on price...

Several years ago when I was hankering for a 635csi I looked into this with front wings from the US sunbelt.

With the purchase price, shipping, C&E duty, VAT etc it just wasn't economically viable.
------------------------
optimus,

I've got a pretty good genuine MB W124 OSF wing. Has some rust on the inside but is still very solid & will clean up prior to painting.

PM an email addy if you want to see pix.
I will take it pm sent addy whats your forum name ?

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm going to see him on Friday. I'll get near-side if I can. Depends how much he wants, of course.

Just pm'd you Trev, didn't read your post here. Will you take one with the vents, there's a lot of 250td and multi's here.
Cheers,

Paul

Last edited:
A big ask Paul, but a blue leather drivers seat if he has one. Does not have to be electric or autho or heated, bogo standard as long as its blue and you could get it back to UK.

Hi All,
I've found a large scrapyard here in Portugal with an owner who seems a reasonable sort. We got chatting and I said I needed things and would pop down with a list next week, (I have three 124's, so need thee wings - obv, as they say).
I wondered if I put a larger request to him he's give me a better price. I go to England three or four times a year and come to Portugal twice. I usually have some space in my trailer and could probably get four wings in there.
The questions are, what is a used but un-rusty wing worth in the UK, and of course, what'll he sell them for!
If someone could give me a guide on the first, I'll see if it's worth trying to get a few if he's reasonable - a sinking pound won't help, sadly.
Any other ideas on bits to import welcome, but I suppose non-panel bits are easy to find in UK and The Fatherland - unless there's something outrageously expensive there which might not be here?
I imagine there're a few earlier bits around, there's still a few 123's running about here as daily drivers - mine included.
A note of caution, cars here are hugely expensive in comparison to the UK and some things follow suit- I'll try though!
Cheers,

Paul

Unworn front passenger seat covers from LHD cars will be like gold dust here since our drivers seats always wear in the same place . Worthwhile especially if he has cars with leather .

Any 190's ?

Hi Derek,

Very good point!

Can't move for 190's here.

They keep them for ever, 300/400 k kms by no means unusual.

I'll have a browse on the pieces section of the big car sites for a rough idea of price.

I'll see how many seats he can quote me for as well.

Cheers,

Paul

A big ask Paul, but a blue leather drivers seat if he has one. Does not have to be electric or autho or heated, bogo standard as long as its blue and you could get it back to UK.

Hi John,

I'll ask him to let me have a look at all the 201 and 124 seats.

I think a new one like the 24v would probably have to be an accident damaged, perhaps?

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Derek,

Very good point!

Can't move for 190's here.

They keep them for ever, 300/400 k kms by no means unusual.

I'll have a browse on the pieces section of the big car sites for a rough idea of price.

I'll see how many seats he can quote me for as well.

Cheers,

Paul

remember , it isn't all that hard to remove the covers from the seats - saving you all the hassle of transporting the entire seats - you could probably get a couple of dozen covers in the boot of a car , but only one whole seat .

Seat bases ( from passenger side ) with unbroken springs are sometimes a sought after item too as so many cars have drivers seats with busted springs .

Hi John,

I'll ask him to let me have a look at all the 201 and 124 seats.

I think a new one like the 24v would probably have to be an accident damaged, perhaps?

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Paul

I'd scrub the seats plan, I've been throwing them away for years, very little demand, perhaps a mint set of seats for an older car might be worth £50 if you can find anyone...

Cripes, that's a surprise, I thought there'd be a host of folk with bad bolsters just waiting. I was looking at Germany, thinking it'd be easier for me to bring them back from there whilst I'm in Belgium and they seem to make around 100.
I wonder why there's not much interest. Do you think most of the folk with bad bolsters just don't care and the majority of the ones that do have managed to find what they need? Apart from the rare blue leather, of course.
(I've set an alert on a German site for that one).
Much appreciated advice, I was going to get a dozen or so. I'll maybe get a handful of belters - if he has any. I've found some much larger yards up-country so I'll contact them all to see if they can get me an export bundle at the right money.
Communication and endeavour can differ from a UK approach here, so this could be very drawn out.

Cheers,

Paul

Last edited:
Seats a goooood. Just ask neilr how the roll top trinket boxes are selling which nobody would have thought would have been such a hit...

Let us know how you get on - cash waiting. :):)

I wonder why there's not much interest. Do you think most of the folk with bad bolsters just don't care and the majority of the ones that do have managed to find what they need?

Nobody cares about mid 90s Mercedes, there's only a few left on the road, and there's more parts sat on shelves than cars that need parts.

You'll sell wings, but sun bleached LHD seats are a waste of time.

You'd be better off selling the parts in the EU where people still have a bit of an interest in the older ones.

In my experience nick is correct. There are a few parts from each model of old car that there is some demand for & the rest, 99%, you cannot give away.

I think it was Mercman that recently offered what looked like a warehouse full of MB seats from dozens of different models free to anyone who wanted to come & take whatever they wanted. I'd guess they scrapped the vast majority of them in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom