Possible to renegotiate?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Roger Bill, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Roger Bill

Roger Bill Active Member

Car:
    W205 C200 Petrol
    Just before Xmas I ordered a new W205 from an MB main dealer and paid a £1,000 deposit. At that time the best discount available from internet brokers was about 10% which the dealer matched and offered a trade-in price for my current car which was about £1,000 below the trade price, as this was his estimate for the change in prices over the next 6 months.

Internet brokers are now quoting discounts of 16.6%. Delivery of my car isn't due until May/June so there is plenty of time in the interim for discounts to rise further or fall. I wonder if anyone else in this situation has been able to renegotiate? Although I'd like to maintain the May/June delivery I could save about £3,000 even if I had to kiss my deposit goodbye. If list prices were to rise I guess I'd be faced with a bigger bill so does the opposite also apply?

2. LTD

LTD MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Yep, one of THOSE !!!
    I think that the reality is that you entered into a contract and both parties would accept risk and liability as part of that.

How would you feel if things swung the other way and the dealer approached you to soften the deal that you agreed on ?

3. Sambo

Sambo Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2 x MB
    Internet companies don't have overheads, or demos, or trained staff, or coffee, or exciting handover experiences. If you've concluded the deal and are happy, stop looking! The dealer or salesperson will have every right to give you an eff off tablet, give you you're money back and then potentially sell the allocation to someone else to make a few quid as that's what businesses do, right?

I understand you want the best deal, and in reality, I'm sure you've got it. Now rather than keep looking at 'deals', look at pictures, videos, reviews of the exciting new car you're getting in the summer :)

4. stevehg

stevehg Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Just an FYI a, there is no contract in place.

Manufacturers often change spec like removing options, colours etc. between model years and apply price increases which often affect people with pending orders. Often, to avoid losing an order, a dealer will try and offer compensation in one form or another. They also are known to change delivery dates etc.

5. meeeb

meeeb Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E Class 350 CDI 265
    Presumably the OP signed some sort of document, a contract by whatever name, so it depends what that says. There will no doubt be clauses relevant to this situation, i.e. one or the other of the parties wishing/needing to withdraw.

The place to pose the question for the definitive answer is at the dealership, not a forum where there is likely to be a number of disparate answers.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. Charles Morgan

Charles Morgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
    Read what you have signed. Orders this far out regularly get cancelled, if you can save that sort of money do so with the broker and no doubt the dealer will retain your deposit. If you want to retain your delivery spot with the dealer I doubt they'll renegotiate but the only downside of asking them is they say no.

7. dinoy

dinoy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    mercedes of course
    tell them u will walk if there is cancelled deal with better spec or price or both otherwise u will walk to get a better deal elsewhere and see what the response but only after checking the contract. a friend did this and got a cancelled deal for the same price better spec only drawback colour of car ordered

8. flango

flango MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    Not sure what W205 you have ordered but a friend of SWMBO just ordered one for his wife and got 21% discount from the main dealer. He lives near me but bought the car in Scotland as there are much better deals to be had up there. Which also aligns with my dealings in the past where BMW discount was far greater North of the border than in England

9. mat8n

mat8n Banned

Car:
    Sl63,honda crf450x, BMW x3, vespa lx50v, Honda goldwing in bits!
    how much profit will a dealer make on a new car?
    £1000 in the form of a non returnable deposit will surely be a better deal than selling a car?
    I would think the dealer would be happy to let you walk and not be very helpful with any re-negotiations?

10. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Club Veteran

Car:
    BMW 740Li
    Yeah, what could go wrong?

2 people like this.
  11. cunny678

cunny678 Active Member

Car:
    E220
    I tried to buy an Audi A6 before I got my e class. Went to local dealers and asked if he could match Internet price to witch he said he would try. Gave them £500 deposit and order just before Sept price increase.

These called me back a few weeks later and said price had gone up £1200 as they couldn't put it through in time for some reason!!

Accepted it as I had little choice. As I said I wanted to change spec due to facelift they said I had plenty of time

Got a call a few weeks later to say it had been given a build week and could not change spec. Dealer said happy to cancel order if I wanted which I did as that's the second time I have been shafted by an audi dealer.

I think they had someone else lined up with more profit in the deal and we're happy to sell it to them with more profit!

Ended up with an e class with much higher spec and £70 per month cheaper.

Having bought through DTD I had a great experience and had the car in a few days. Therefore my recommendation would be to get price on line and buy it on line. I just had a two hour trip on the train and a nice drive back:)

12. OP
    OP
    Roger Bill

Roger Bill Active Member

Car:
    W205 C200 Petrol
    Hi all, Many thanks for all the useful and interesting input.

The terms and conditions attached to the order just includes this clause which is relevant to price changes: "if the manufacturer ... shall vary the recommended or cost price ... the Seller shall be entitled to give the Customer written notice that it intends to vary the contract price ... the Customer shall have the right ... to cancel and obtain reimbursement of any deposit".

I'll monitor the situation and decide what to do when the car arrives at the dealer. Then, if by cancelling the order and buying elsewhere I could save significantly more than the £1,000 deposit I'd lose, I think I'd be in a position to negotiate because I've ordered a C200 petrol with almost every option which I guess would be a spec the dealer would have to discount heavily in order to find another buyer.

If, as many now believe, we're entering a period of deflation this situation could become increasingly commonplace.

1 person likes this.
  13. pipmk

pipmk Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E350cdi Sport cabriolet
    A verbal enforceable contract is created the moment the buyer says "I will buy X from you for Y and the seller says I will sell Y to you for X" (except in the case of land) The sellers case is further strengthened if the buyer leaves a deposit. No doubt the dealer will let you pull out but keep your deposit because enforcing the contract is not in his financial interests.

14. Rory

Rory MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C270CDi Estate (late 2004 facelift model)
    Dealers will tell you that the deposit is non-refundable but if push comes to shove, they don't usually refuse.

Sales contracts used to be written to favour the dealer so they could cancel for any reason without penalty - if the contract is still like that then it's easy to cancel as it's fundamentally an unfair contract.

15. crockers

crockers MB Club Veteran

Car:
    XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
    Not really true unless money has been exchanged.

A contract is in force when...

There has been an offer, an acceptance and money or monies worth.

16. pipmk

pipmk Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E350cdi Sport cabriolet
    Not money,the key word is consideration,if the seller does something to his detriment as a result of the buyers words,like place an order with the makers,put a sold sign on the car etc, then consideration has passed.

Tags: