Possibly A Daft Question But...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
...you don't know until you know...

Where is the best place to set a pair of axle stands under the front of my S212, so I can remove both of the front wheels to sort out a painted finish on the disc hubs?

Yeh but, no but...isn't there a place under where the jack goes to place a stand as with the older models?

under the subframe!

Yeh but, no but...isn't there a place under where the jack goes to place a stand as with the older models?

Certainly not if you're using a proper trolley jack.

I normally aim for where the back of the lower arms meets the tub, supporting on the pivot section of the arm casting.

Certainly not if you're using a proper trolley jack.

I normally aim for where the back of the lower arms meets the tub, supporting on the pivot section of the arm casting.

Why not?:dk:

I find this awkward (R129) I end up using the emergency jack and then axle stds under the rubber jacking point. I would use my trolley jack but where would I then put the axle stds?

Is there a jacking pad under the engine? Many MBs have them.

Just think where the local Pikeys will put the bricks when they nick your wheels.

Sadly the old jacking pads are no more - replaced with a rectangular plastic socket kind of thing for the end of the jack. I found it difficult to use a conventional trolley jack on it without damaging/scraping the surrounding sill or underbody cladding so I made up a "jack pad" from a bit of ply and hardwood screwed and glued together. The "plug" fits neatly into the socket [ exact dimensions got from measuring the end of the MB jack]and the "plate" spreads the load and prevents the trolley jack from damaging the underside of the car. Took minutes to make- difficult part was measuring up.

Last edited:
Not such a daft question it would seem.

I can jack it up using the jacking point, but need somewhere to place the axle stand whilst it's up.

Undertrays everywhere don't help.

Here's a diagram of typical MB jacking points. The one I was referring to is the leftmost, between the engine and transmission. There should be an obvious cutout in the undertray to access it.

528444d1374415835-boring-question-about-jacking-points-jack2-small-.jpg

There are a lot of rubber trolley jack pads on ebay for about £2-3, or you can go to a sports shop (a horrible thought for many on here I feel) and buy an ice hockey puck for half that.
$(KGrHqF,!pUFD2b164JZBRHYTsOC2g~~60_35.JPG

Some cut a slot in them to accommodate the sill weld
puck.jpg

you can get an adapter that goes between the trolley jack and the plastic jack point

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom