Possibly caught doing 90mph, what should I expect?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossyl

Car
CLK 230K W208 Coupe (1999)(Auto)
Hi

Possibly caught by a copper sat on the side of the motorway with a speed gun. I was doing about 90 or less, quite a few cars ahead closer to the police and around me. But I think he'd of seen me before I saw him and slowed.

So if I do get caught what punishment should I expect?

Cheers

3 points / £60 fixed penalty , or possibly slightly more depending on circumstances / local policy / your past history .

I had a nervous couple of weeks recently after spotting a camera van amongst a row of parked cars , once I was a couple of hundred yards into a 30 mph speed limit , which was on a downhill stretch into a village : when I saw the van , I glanced at my speedo and was doing an indicated 28 mph - spent the fortnight wondering if I had been doing more than 30 when I entered the limit . Early morning routine drive into work , must have been on 'autopilot' as I was very late spotting the van . Thankfully now about a month on and nothing heard so far .

You can expect people to have a go at you on here... And points/fine

Don't worry about it, nearly everyone gets caught at some point.

Cheers guys.

No excuses from me, just wondering the potential consequences.

Bit sad if anyone has a go. I though we were generally more grown up than that. 90 MPH on a motorway is not that fast...

If it was a traffic cop holding the gun as opposed to a safety camera van I reckon had he been interested you would have been stopped there and then.

Bit sad if anyone has a go. I though we were generally more grown up than that. 90 MPH on a motorway is not that fast...

If it was a traffic cop holding the gun as opposed to a safety camera van I reckon had he been interested you would have been stopped there and then.

Fingers crossed! Thanks.

I was caught at 96 mph on the A30 ( Merrymeet ) and got 3 points and £60.

I recently did a speed awareness course having been caught doing 50 in a 40.
During the afternoon one of the two "instructors" told us no one in Staffordshire was prosecuted on camera evidence unless they were doing at least 38 in a 30, and he believed most other authorities had a similar policy

Hi

Possibly caught by a copper sat on the side of the motorway with a speed gun. I was doing about 90 or less, quite a few cars ahead closer to the police and around me. But I think he'd of seen me before I saw him and slowed.

So if I do get caught what punishment should I expect?

Cheers

A traffic cop with a gun and him or a colleague would have had to have stopped you at the scene of the offence, they can't post fixed penalty's without photographic or video evidence so if it was only a gun you are in the clear :thumb:

As per davidjpowell and Flania - They have to stop you and show you the recorded speed showing on the gun.
Have a drink and forget about it, it's Saturday...

As per davidjpowell and Flania - They have to stop you and show you the recorded speed showing on the gun.
Have a drink and forget about it, it's Saturday...

Then go out for a spin!! :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

I've just got a ticket through the post. I was stopped by a couple of very reasonable police officers who kindly put down 90 on the ticket. The unmarked car will have rocked when I passed it :(

On one of the police programmes I saw on TV some time ago said they will only bother stopping people if they're going over 89mph.

I've just got a ticket through the post. I was stopped by a couple of very reasonable police officers who kindly put down 90 on the ticket. The unmarked car will have rocked when I passed it :(

There's still a few good one of us left, sometimes we truly cant give a verbal (and its just you and they who know your true speed so no need to mention it here), but at a guess 3 points insted of court is sometimes as a good learning curve as a ban:thumb:

To the OP, depends where you were 'pinged', in London we would have to stop you but have heard a rumour that Essex have a image and speed capture gun??

Any Essex rats on here who can help with that one??

There's still a few good one of us left, sometimes we truly cant give a verbal (and its just you and they who know your true speed so no need to mention it here), but at a guess 3 points insted of court is sometimes as a good learning curve as a ban:thumb:

To the OP, depends where you were 'pinged', in London we would have to stop you but have heard a rumour that Essex have a image and speed capture gun??

Any Essex rats on here who can help with that one??

South Yorkshire are also trialling an Image capture gun, uses a forward facing white low level LED flash to ensure number plate capture, might be the same type. Not sure if they have HO approval yet though :dk:

South Yorkshire are also trialling an Image capture gun, uses a forward facing white low level LED flash to ensure number plate capture, might be the same type. Not sure if they have HO approval yet though :dk:

Cheers Flanaia, I feel a google session coming on! LOL

I've had my days in court, and am reasonably well known to the CPS and others locally, in fact was once greeted at the magistrates with a "Hello again Mr Kemp" in my younger years. Had a clean license for few years though until last year when impatience copped me a TS10 and setting my cruise at the wrong speed gained me an SP30. You do the math - it's two years of being very careful ahead of me now.

New GPS device is already ordered.

I've had my days in court, and am reasonably well known to the CPS and others locally, in fact was once greeted at the magistrates with a "Hello again Mr Kemp".

LOL thats can NEVER be a good thing:D

My father got 3 NIPS in 5 days! 2 lots of 3 pointers off the same Gatso site (36 in a 30) then a hit on an M-way with a temp 50mph, and he thought it was OK to 77 cos 'no old bill will be about'....wrong! +50% in excess so direct to court and 5 points.

He drove like a saint for the next 35 months!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom