Possibly returning - some initial questions first though - R129

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tmwsccsh

Car
1998 CL420, 1994 Ford Mustang Convertible
Hi all,

Well, it's been about 3 years or more since I sold my R129 but am considering coming back again.

I've found one I like that needs a bit of work but I wanted to bounce a couple of things off the forum here to get views.

The car is a 1990 SL500 so a really early one. I've spotted that the windows don't drop when the doors open on either side, but then others I have viewed lately from other years also aren't doing this - all cars are 1994 are earlier that I have viewed. Should the windows drop a centimetre or so on the earlier R129's or not? The door doesn't catch or leak so it's not an issue, more a curiosity... I know my 1995 one I had previously they did and later models do too but not sure if the earlier ones should.

Also, when the roof goes back into place, the 2x clips above the windscreen both don't fully engage and you have to use the manual tool to turn the bolts above the sun-visors the last half-turn or so on both sides to get it to clamp perfectly. Once you have locked them in, the cycle will complete fine. Releasing to put the roof down is not an issue. Is this an easy fix / alignment query or is it looking to be something a bit more sinister do you think?

There's a lot of interior work that needs doing, but that's not mechanical so I'm not concerned at this stage.

Good bodywork and engine / gearbox seem excellent and no advisories at last MoT so in that respect it's good.

Need to think more and see what happens, but any thoughts on the window drop and front roof clamps appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Regards

TMW

The car is a 1990 SL500 so a really early one. I've spotted that the windows don't drop when the doors open on either side, but then others I have viewed lately from other years also aren't doing this - all cars are 1994 are earlier that I have viewed. Should the windows drop a centimetre or so on the earlier R129's or not? The door doesn't catch or leak so it's not an issue, more a curiosity... I know my 1995 one I had previously they did and later models do too but not sure if the earlier ones should.

IIRC this feature came in with the '96 model year facelift, so cars before approx. September '95 won't have it.

Also, when the roof goes back into place, the 2x clips above the windscreen both don't fully engage and you have to use the manual tool to turn the bolts above the sun-visors the last half-turn or so on both sides to get it to clamp perfectly. Once you have locked them in, the cycle will complete fine. Releasing to put the roof down is not an issue. Is this an easy fix / alignment query or is it looking to be something a bit more sinister do you think?

If the latches are trying to engage but just need a bit of manual assistance it sounds like a mechanical/hydraulic issue, which hopefully wouldn't be too bad (better than a problem with the roof control module :D). If you're really lucky it could just be sticking due to lack of use, or maybe even low fluid.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response and thoughts.

Window drop is encouraging to know that's not a concern and the latches I was hoping similar. I know the roof hasn't been used much so here's hoping, if I do go ahead, that some repeated testing will sort it.

Oh, one other question if I may. I have found I still have the remote central locking transmitter from my old one - it was never used as the car had an aftermarket fitted. Is the sender unit the same on the 1990 to the 1995 and, if so, is it possible to get it programmed to the car easily?

Thanks again.

Regards

TMW

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response and thoughts.

Window drop is encouraging to know that's not a concern and the latches I was hoping similar. I know the roof hasn't been used much so here's hoping, if I do go ahead, that some repeated testing will sort it.

Oh, one other question if I may. I have found I still have the remote central locking transmitter from my old one - it was never used as the car had an aftermarket fitted. Is the sender unit the same on the 1990 to the 1995 and, if so, is it possible to get it programmed to the car easily?

Thanks again.

Regards

TMW

You're probably better off finding the the central locking vacuum pump and wiring a module directly to it. They are inexpensive. I have the factory scanner software and have not seen any programs that will allow you to program a remote key fob.

Hi all,

Some bad news.

I decided against and have gone for a Jaguar XK8 instead...

Lovely car - picked it up yesterday.

Sorry...

Regards

TMW

Hi all,

Some bad news.

Lovely car - picked it up yesterday.

Sorry...

Regards

TMW
The XK8 is a cracking car and gets even better looking with age. Nice choice 👍🏻

Was just going to welcome you back, but see you will probably not be coming back - it's hello and goodbye in one post then 🤣

They are nice cars, the only thing that spoils the convertible for me is the hood on the original version which just sits there on top of the rear deck when down (like a Mk 1 Golf cabriolet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom